Anyone running X2N/Tone Zone combo like Romeo?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheShreddinHand, Sep 21, 2020.

1. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

So I have three Ibanez guitars (one ash, one mahogany, one basswood-7). All of them have a super distortion and liquifier combo in them and I’ve been very happy with that combo. I tuned down the mahogany one to D standard A la symphony x and I’m not loving the super distortion quite as much as I do in E standard or E flat standard. Obviously Romeo uses the X2N and tone zone combo and I thought about giving this a try. Anyone here using it and how do you like it? Is the tone zone to high output in the neck and hard to keep clean? How does the X2N sound in D standard in a darker, in this case mahogany guitar?

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

I have an X2N / PAF Joe in my Peavey Josh Rand Special Custom Shop. He tunes in everything from E-std to Drop-B. I have it regularly set up with 10-52 in D-Std or Drop-C and it sounds fantastic to me.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

X2N sounds fantastic downtuned. Never tried the TZ on the neck but I love how fluid and thick but with enough attack sounds on Romeo's recordings BUT you know, studio magic, so... but I can talk about the X2N and it is amazing.

TheShreddinHand likes this.
  4. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I'm kind of the resident X2N fanboy but it sounds insane for pretty much any application, even cleans when split. I will say it does feel kind of compressed with gain but it's not bad compared to actives and some hot passives. It's a pretty flat EQ which I like a lot, and always has a bit of hair to it which I like a lot. The best part is the squish on palm mutes though, it has this really insane chunky response that you gotta feel. Mine's in my BC Rich, maple neck through and mahogany wings, which shouldn't affect too much but it is probably pretty similar to your mahogany Ibanez that you're asking about. They say it's as hot as actives though and it's very hot but you have to dig in to get that breakup it can do. If you're picking light it's not gonna distort a clean channel like it can and if you have heavy gain going it seriously gets thick.

Never played a TZ but I have an Air Norton to match the X2N and it's a perfect set. Both very hot but the AN has great cleans and smooth leads, where the X2N is great for leads that need to scream. I can't recommend it enough.

Plus it looks kickass, especially with a covered neck pickup.

Zhysick, TheShreddinHand and Adieu like this.
  5. TheShreddinHand

Thanks for the input guys! If I pull the trigger I’ll let ya know how I make out.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I love the X2N :wub:

Since I'm primarily a 7 string player, and the TZ7 is kind of a weird pickup, I haven't messed with the regular Tone Zone that much, but from what little I have experienced of it in loud music stores, it should be high output enough to get you close.

Personally, I prefer the Evo Bridge in the neck along with the X2N, or similarly, the X2N7 in the bridge and Evo7 in the neck of a seven string. Both the Tone Zone and Evo Bridge offer similar clarity and high output, even though their EQ is substantially different.

7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Best split tone from a humbucker ever... The only way to get Strat and metal in the same axe!

Themistocles and TheShreddinHand like this.
  8. TheShreddinHand

Pulled the trigger on the X2N/TZ combo. I’ll report back once I get them and get them soldered in!

Mathemagician, Bedecki and Zhysick like this.
  9. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

I had the Tone Zone in the Neck, but a Super 3 in the bridge for awhile, in one of my custom guitars. I've since changed back to BKP (A-Pig and Aftermath). But it's still a pretty good fit in its own way, certainly one to fall back to in my experience.

ie- I like how thick the Tone Zone sounds in the neck position.

10. TheShreddinHand

Cool, I’ll check those videos later. Pickups are here just gotta put them in this weekend.

11. TheShreddinHand

Got them in and played about a half hour so far. First take, I’m really digging them. TZ is actually really smooth in the neck and X2N has the tight saturation I was looking for. I’m a very light picker so I could see how the output in these pickups may not work for folks that really dig in but they work great for me. Hammer ons out of nowhere with tapping (a la Romeo) is super easy due to the output on these and it’s definitely the symphony x tone no doubt. Looks like they were just what I wanted!