Anyone rock the Ibanez AX7221?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by bk21, Nov 8, 2010.

1. bk21

bk21 Member

I do, but the neck is short and only has 22 frets, which I feel alters the sound a little. I like this guitar, I know it's one of the cheaper ones, but I like how it looks and it feels good when I play it. However, I tune to A, which is what Korn does, to give you an idea. Lol, I'm sure you guys knew that, but just in case. Anyways, I feel tuning that low on this guitar takes away some of the crunch. It could just be me, but I never seem to be satisfied with the sound. I play through a Line 6 pod xt pro. Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem or what I might try to get a sound to my liking?

Also, if you use a line 6 pod xt pro, do you mind sharing your settings or at least frequency settings? Thanks in advance.

2. Groff

Groff Medicine Chief/RHLC© Contributor

A pickup swap does wonders in that guitar. I put a D-activator into my friends 7221 and it was a vast improvement.

3. bk21

bk21 Member

I'll look into those when I upgrade my guitar, well customize it.

Has anyone ever changed guitar necks on an AX7221 to a 24 Fret from a 22 Fret? Is it possible?

4. Lance

Lance 7 String Purist

I owned one about 9 years ago, an AX221 I believe.

The tone was weak, I put a pair of DiMarzio Blaze pick ups in and it sounded way better but I was never really happy with the tone. The 22 fret neck was a giant pain in my ass too, I never found a solution to the problem, my love faded in time and I sold the guitar to a stranger.

I wish you better luck.

5. bk21

bk21 Member

6. Adam

Adam Contributor

A 28 5/8" scale neck should work, it will have 24 frets.
    EDIT: scratch that neck only works for 25.5" scale 22 fretters.

7. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

The number of frets has nothing to do with the tone. The pickups, pod xt ( I own one) and short scale length are probably the issue.
    What string gauges are you using?

8. bk21

bk21 Member

No, but the length of the neck does, and the AX has a short neck. You think the pod xt has something to do with it? Why do you think the pod xt has a negative affect? I can't remember what gauges I put on it, I believe they're 11-60. They're really thick to support the A tuning.

9. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

I'd use thicker strings personally. I use 10-62 for Bb and B standard, and I find them to be a bit slinky. About the length of the neck: Yes the AX is a 24.75" scale guitar, and as such will have the tendency to be a bit dark/muddy. I suggest getting new, rather bright punchy pickups to compliment the mahogany(?) body and short scale length. Either that or swap it out for a guitar with a longer scale length and decent pups.

10. bk21

bk21 Member

The wood finish AX is not mine, but it looks great. Do you have any reccomendations for pickups? Also, is it possible to put a longer neck on the AX? I really like the body of the AX and would like to just get a longer neck.

11. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

You could get a conversion neck made by most luthiers, but it would probably cost more than your guitar. If you really need a longer scale I would look into Agile's 27" range, as well as schecter, which are 26,5". For pickups, I always suggest the Dimarzio crunchlab/liquifire combo. SD Blackout phase 1's would also sound pretty good from my (limited) experience with them.

Also, i knew the natural one was Adam's.

12. bk21

bk21 Member

Would those necks fit on the AX or are you talking about buying a new guitar completely?

And you said something about the pickups complimenting the mahogany, so I thought you were thinking it was mine lol

13. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

I meant complimenting it tonally, and yeah, I suggest you sell the ax and buy a guitar with a longer scale if you really feel you need it.

14. Mop

Mop SS.org Regular

I owned a 7221 for a month or 2, no offence but it is hands down the worst guitar I've played.
    Terrible neck dive, hated the body shape and the neck shape/length, the pickups were terrible and the tuners were falling apart, I can't think of anything good except it had 7 strings.
    I would find something else rather than waste money upgrading it, maybe find a ax7621 if you like the shape?

15. bk21

bk21 Member

ax7621 by Ibanez??

16. EvisceralVision

EvisceralVision New Member

I just saw one in a pawnshop and will hopefully get it tomorrow....I actually have played one in the past and want it again