Anyone Played the Alt 8 Duncan?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ekulggats, Nov 29, 2021.

1. ekulggats

ekulggats SS.org Regular

I've been intrigued by a lot I've heard about this pickup, touting 'balance, clarity, punch' etc.

Been described as a tighter, clearer JB type of feel.

Anyone used this for a metal application? Looking for percussive feel without getting muddy.

I usually don't like super high output, my friend has one of these laying around and if it has potential to be great I'll give it a shot-

Going in a balanced sounding alder neck through V w floyd rose.

2. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

This video demos both:

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I have one. I used it in my PRS CU24 for a few years. I modded it to fit a multiscale route and used it in one of my Padalkas for about a year, until Adam made me a set of Tridents.

I really like the pickup. Balanced is a good way to describe it. The midrange and treble really make it sit up front in a pleasant way. The low end has oomph without being overbearing.

4. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

I used to think I hated this pickup. Then I realized the guitar I had it in sounded like ass. I’m sure it’s a great one.

5. ekulggats

ekulggats SS.org Regular

What did it sound like in your experience? Was it a dead guitar?

6. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

It wasn’t overly bright or dark necessarily, and actually had pretty good note definition. That being said it was a completely dead guitar. No amount of adjustment made that guitar sound right. It was a doomed axe, which is sad because it played like lightning. It sounded like 250k pots with the tone knob rolled back, even though I confirmed they were 500k and properly wired.

7. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I had this in one of my guitars for a while. It's been a while and I know realize the guitar I had it in, it was quite a bit away from the strings, so not sure about the best represantation of the pickups. In comparison to the D-Activator that was in that guitar, it was a lot brighter and midforward. Great clarity and even though it was away from the strings, it had quite a bit of power. Might explain though why I thought it wasn't as hot as I was expecting. I felt though that there was minimum bass in the pickup. Which is great for downtuning, but not so great for E. I'd love to get my hands on another one at some point and give it a go. If you have one lying around, pop it in a guitar and see how it sounds. It's not as complicated as it might seem.

8. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I have one in my Kramer, it's definitely from the JB family - punchy but not as much chug as the custom family pickups. Lasse Lammert once said it's the closest thing to a passive substitute for an EMG 81.

it's got a bit of a notched mid that sounds best in mahogany

also, I'm probably crazy but I swear the custom-5 I use in my other guitars is higher output than it

9. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I agree that it's best for slightly downtuned guitars (awesome in drop C) but I've been running it in E std for months with no complaints

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  10. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

Alt-8 is a nice pickup if you like a lot of the better qualities of the JB pickup but could do without some of it's harshness that can happen in the JB's upper-mids.
    Alt-8 is a pretty powerful pickup but I didn't feel like it was "too much" output, was pretty surprised at how nicely balanced it sounded in the last guitar I used it in (Fender FMT tele).
    I thought the Alt-8 sounded much better in that guitar than the JB that was in it previously. I was playing mostly in D standard tuning and got plenty enough bottom end out of it, for my tastes at least.

11. Bg999

Bg999 SS.org Regular

I tried the Alt-8 back when it was first launched (more than 10 years ago). It was the first production pickup with A8 magnets. I was looking to replace the duncan JB which was too loose sounding on the low end.
    I remember it seemed to have more of everything (more bass, mids, treble) but overall it was tighter and a chunkier than the JB. I thought it was really hot and feels a bit "out of control", like putting every knob on your amp on 10.
    I swapped it out for a SH-5 which from what I remember had slightly lower output (?) and more dynamics/cleans up better.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021