Anyone play titan amps?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mike0, Feb 23, 2012.

1. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

I get pretty frequent GAS for those things, particularly the cerberus, and i just so happen to have it pretty bad at the moment.

I've heard them be described as a mix between a VHT and a 5150, this true? My dream rig consists of a deliverance half stack and a 5150 through a mesa oversized, both stritly for a wonderful mix of rhythm tones, and if the titans combine that low mid roar of 5150s with the super tight dry tone of the VHT/Fryettes, then i think it may just be the perfect amp for me. Please share your experiences with these if any as i am willing to eat up anything you tell me. I need to fuel my dreams of needlessly spending money i don't own on these amps :D
    Especially if you have info on the cerberus, no amp has piqued my interest as much as that one, but the only info i can find is pretty limited to titan's webpage and FastRedPonyCar from HCAF's videos and clips. Apparently he is the only one to ever own one? :shrug:

2. iff

iff SS.org Regular

I have a Titan Custom 100 and a VHT Deliverance 120.

Anything in particular you want to know?

I find the Titan to be more of a very well refined 5150 than a 5150/VHT mix (at least from what I remember of my buddy's 5150). The Titan is very versatile, has great cleans and crunch tone as well as a great high gain channel. Very fat tone and it seems to cover a wide frequency range. It's really punchy and tight (though neither as much so as the Deliverance). It's not as angry sounding as the Deliverance and [the way I have it set up now] I don't like it as much for stuff tuned below around B, but it's awesome for six string stuff and adds a ton of beef to the tone. That is, of course, open to opinion though...my friend and I were trying them side-by-side the other day and he preferred the Titan.

3. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

wow, i have to say i am pretty envious of you. the deliverance 120 is my favorite head, and i was lucky enough to play it a few times while one was at a local GC. there's actually a couple things i'd like to know about since you have a custom.
    -how does the shared eq fare for both clean and crunch channel? do you find yourself adjusting the eq a lot based off which one you're playing?
    -how dynamic and responsive is the amp? as in, can you get an aggressive tight rhythm tone out of the crunch channel while at the same time be able to get a thick smooth-ish lead out of the same channel just based off how you use your fingers and your pick attack? this is something i've noticed and love about VHT/Fryette amps. not expecting it to sound like a different amp or anything, but enough be versatile without messing with the eq
    -does yours have a contour control knob? if so how sensitive is it to changing the tone?
    -being fat, tight, and punchy is a winning combination to me, but you mentioned it doesn't do the latter two as well as the deliverance. would you say it's a trade-off between the two? not saying one does one good and the other bad, but more of one great and the other amazing and vice versa for the other amp.
    -if you had to pick one strictly for its rhythm tone, which would you choose?

i apologize for the wall o' text, but i wanna know all that i can, and uh... :yum: ... i'm feelin pretty hungry

4. Moolaka

Moolaka SS.org Regular

My buddy's band got a Titan 4x12 and 2x12 cab through an endorsement deal. They sound really good for thrash but nothing like a VHT cab, it sounds more like a Vader, very transparent but not dry with slightly less punch and headroom. Outstanding deal for the money in my opinion.

5. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

I didn't think titan made cabs so i looked it up, apparently there are two titan companies: titan amplification and titan cabs. That's interesting, i had no idea. Thanks for informing me though, if they're like vaders then they're definitely worth checking out, and i'll do just that!

6. PeteLaramee

PeteLaramee AssMaster General

I had a Titan. The official name of the amp was the "Custom 100", but I call it the "Assripper 100." Very ballsy and very easy to record with great cleans in addition to the high gain.

Tone-wise I thought it was closer to a modded 5150 than a VHT, but had very fast attack and felt like a VHT. It definitely had its own thing going on.

The contour knob on that amp turned an already versatile amp into a very versatile amp. I'm not saying it sounded like a Marshall at 9 o'clock and a Mesa at 10 o'clock, but playing with the contour at the different gain settings made it easy to play different styles.

Zach was very easy to work with and I'm hoping to have another Titan. I never should have sold mine.

I can't find any clips on my new computer, but I think one of mine is on Titan's myspace page.

BTW - the lows and low mids on the Titan are big and extremely tight. Not quite as big as the 5153, but as tight as any amp I've ever played.

7. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

That sounds terrific, almost what i had envisioned in my head. What kind of cab did you run it through?

8. PeteLaramee

PeteLaramee AssMaster General

I was using my Mojo 4x12s which are built to older Marshall specs. I used various different speakers, but mostly used WGS Veterans.

9. THEE HAMMER

THEE HAMMER Banned

[​IMG]

That is my baby. Titan Custom 200 #11

I've had it for well over a year now, a first for me since i'm a notorious whore.
    You could say that Titans have a 5150/SLO/VHT/etc. kind of vibe but it really turns out as it's own beast.

It has one of the best clean channels i've ever played.
    The crunch channel reminds me of a beefy plexi with american flavor... add a boost to push it to thrashy high gain.
    The OD channel is worth the price of admission on it's own. It goes from slight crunch, to Gov't Mule, to Beefy rhythym, to brutal face destroying levels of aggression and saturation.
    Not a perfect amp for everyone but it has the Sag, bass, and note definition that I love.

I have tried el34's, Kt88's, and 6550s in mine. I really prefer the 6550s.

If you have any questions let me know.

10. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

11. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

:wag:

you guys are really making me want to put my Sig: X that i just got (and am loving btw) on the market just to fund one of these without even hearing it first. damn you. maybe this summer when i start making some nice money i'll pick one up.

how do you guys think it would sound through a p50e loaded Fatbottom 412? i really love that cab and would hate to part with it, especially since they're not too common in my area.

would you say the clean channel is really pristine and clear sounding? i'm not a fan of fender cleans and am more partial to the sounds a JC120 makes. i know it's solid state, but i love smooth jazzy sounding cleans that are crystal clear with high mids/bass and cut treble. would i be better off with separate eq's or could zach set it up so i can get an awesome tight, aggressive, punchy, face-melting high gain sound and the clean i described without changing any of the eq?

12. THEE HAMMER

THEE HAMMER Banned

The Custom sounds great with the fatbottom cabs so no worries there.

The Cleans on the Titans aren't Fender-ish, especially on the 200 watter like mine where you have almost endless headroom.
    I love that mine is single eq, but the newer Customs have Dual eq and contour (which as previously mentioned is AMAZINGLY versatile)

The Cerberus is awesome as well, and Zach can work with you to voice your particular amp to suit you.

Custom 200 #13 is on Harmony Central right now for 1100 which is one hell of a deal.

13. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

they sound amazing, i'll definitely check them out more when i get the moneys. that youtube video you have of the K88 sounded really nasty!

that's perfect that the fatbottom works well with it, and it sounds like i might like the cleans too. i wasn't aware that the newer custom models have separate eq's, is that by default or on request?

14. THEE HAMMER

THEE HAMMER Banned

Default now iirc.
    The single eq is versatile enough for me with my settings and how I roll-off volume, but honestly the dual eq will probably have more options and finer shaping.

15. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

well that settles it then, titan custom it is. thanks for all the help! (i say this now, but i won't be able to get it for months :noplease:) if you can post any clips you have it'd be appreciated, i wanna hear all i can from these amps.

16. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

I had a custom TITAN dual lead rack head for a bit, and currently have a custom dual lead TITAN pre. Both are incredible; my pre is my favorite tone I've ever had, and I've owned a lot of amps / preamps. I agree very much with the VHT comparison (I just happen to have a VHT GP3 at the moment, too), but the TITAN is a bit more harmonically rich, and has a much wider range of available tones (mine has the contour control on each channel). The VHT is a little more dense sounding, while the TITAN is more open.

I disagree completely with the 5150 comparison, though (just sold 2 of them)... the TITAN is in no way as cold as a 5150, and has a totally different gain structure. The 5150 is less grainy, and has nowhere near the same clarity. The TITAN has very tight, very harmonically rich, clear gain, and is very touch-sensitive. If it's a mix of anything, it's VHT + Soldano + a pinch of Bogner.

The TITAN has that rare quality where it responds so well to your playing that it feels like an extension of your guitar, rather than a separate unit that is just responding to the guitar.

On top of all that, Zach is a really cool guy, very easy to talk with, and really good at what he does.

17. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

Yeah man, I've owned a lot of them, made the website, do clips, and talk to Dave on a basis. If you have questions. Ask me on here or Dave himself. :metal:

18. ejendres

ejendres SS.org Regular

I've got Titan 200 #18. KILLER amp.

Its voiced *similar* to the 6505+, but its tighter, punchier, and way clearer. My buddy described it as the 6505+ just sounds messy next to the Titan. I feel like that's an accurate assessment. Mine has the contour knob which is the best thing ever. With it all the way down the amp loosens up a tiny bit and gets this nasty rectoish low-mid vibe. When you turn it up it gets super tight with a high mid focus. I usually run it around 2 o'clock.

The gain structure isn't as saturated as a 6505+ but it has more than enough gain for anything, its just a little drier. From what I understand not nearly as dry as a VHT. Its also not as dry as the Mark IV I had.

The head does sound great, but what really makes me love it is the feel. Its so responsive its unreal. And the way it cleans up with volume knob use is just silly.

The clean/crunch channel is amazing too. I need to spend more time playing with it.

My one gripe is that when I dial in my lead channel, the crunch channel sounds a bit lackluster (i prefer the channel with the contour nearly all the way down, really opens it up and lets chords bloom). But thats not a deal breaker, and the cleans still sound phenomenal.

Actually, mines with Zach right now getting switched over to the dual EQ version. Zach is a great guy to work with and he will tweak the sound to suit your needs.

tl:dr, get the Titan, you'll love it.

19. THEE HAMMER

THEE HAMMER Banned

I <3 you Eli.

20. mike0

mike0 SS.org Regular

i'm so tempted to get one of these with my tax returns instead of a carvin. decisions, decisions... i guess i could really use a new guitar since i technically don't have a "nice" one yet, and the titan really isn't a necessity. but they do look perfect for me... :wallbash:

would the 200w be worth it over the 100w? i know i'll probably never get that much power out of it but is the increase in headroom worth the extra $400?