Anyone play piano?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by gnoll, Apr 13, 2021.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I'm messing around a little bit trying to play piano.

I don't know why. Maybe I need a break from everything else and it feels good to learn new stuff, going from zero to at least something.

I just pick pieces I think are cool and look up tutorials/sheet music. Probably I try to do stuff that's "too advanced" but that's the only way I can have fun with it I think.

Something I find a bit difficult is knowing "how" to play. Like, am I using the right technique? Which fingers am I supposed to hit the keys with really? I've tried to look at some technique videos on youtube but generally I just do what feels right intuitively.

So far I'm having fun, I like being able to play many notes at the same time and having the easy overview of all the notes. Guitar feels so restrictive and... boring in comparison. I kinda hate guitar. Thinking about it makes me never want to play guitar again.

Anyone else play? Post anything piano here I guess :D

2. MFB

MFB Banned

I started learning last year after roughly 2 years of OWNING the keyboard, but never having time to start because of work + commute, etc... I first started with the Albert's book which has you start with theory, intervals, all that jazz so you can understand what the hell you're about to be playing. After that it gets into hand placement, wrist/finger orientation, and you start learning melody vs. rhythm, and synchronizing your hands.

I fell off pretty quick because my schedule picked back up, but I'd like to pick it back up as it was radically different compared to guitar/bass, and required a different skill/mindset. I'll probably buy a new stand as my old one didn't seat the keyboard properly (no clue how any player could use it), and that'll solve 99% of my problems with practicing.

3. foreright

foreright SS.org Regular

I started piano when I was 4 - I’m now in my mid / late 40s. I still play stuff that’s too hard for me ;) I am almost exclusively playing classical - on a bit of a Bach kick at the moment. Job and family doesn’t leave as much time for practicing as I’d like.

Best thing you can do is get some (face to face!) lessons for technique at the beginning. Proper foundations are pretty important if you want to progress without injuring yourself.

Crundles and odibrom like this.
  4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I do. Took lessons as a kid for around 6 years and have recently been getting back to it, always been kind of an off and on thing for me. Mostly just been improvising and trying to jog the muscle memory of songs i used to know as of late, as well as inching along on some classical tunes.

Also, been really into pianist Mike Garson (Bowie/NIN/etc...) recently, love his style.

5. MFB

MFB Banned

I think this was the thing that surprised me the most was like, despite feeling like I was doing exactly what they were saying, my wrist was flaring up as if I had bent it backward for several hours even thought I'd done way worse when I played guitar/bass; but in reality, it was slightly angled compared to my forearm, and I had to do that to match the keys they said to align to.

6. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Piano is too intimidating to me since the complexity level of the average piano piece it light-years ahead of the complexity level of pretty much any other non-keyboard instrument. Reading two staffs at once is something I can't do at all at this point (I could a bit a long time ago when I screwed around with piano - my parents had a couple pianos in the house so it was always around when I was a kid). Also, disconnecting the left hand and right hand in your mind is VERY difficult. I find when I play stuff with two separate parts going on that I tend to have to sort of polyrhythm it into a single rhythm in my mind, cause I can't have the two separate rhythms going independent of one another in my brain. If that makes any sense. Like, it's like if you're singing along with guitar, and you have a hard time singing a melody unless you very strictly think about it as an extension of what you're doing on guitar and using what you're playing on guitar for cues.

Fingerings are tough to learn. There's not set patterns that are applicable in 99% of situations like there are with guitar/bass. Basically, the suggestion would be to learn all your scales really well along with fingering charts (you can get those out of basic piano books) and you'll start seeing patterns. When you're playing in keys, you'll start automatically using those scale fingerings whenever it makes sense. But, as far as I know, when you start getting into atonal stuff it's more of a free-for-all and figuring out what's most efficient for you. There might very well be set fingerings you have to do for that, but I only had a couple terms of keyboarding class when I was at a conservatory and was only at the point where I could sight-read simple stuff out of a hymnal, "improvise" accompaniment when given chord names and a melody, play songs out of a beginning piano book, and memorizing fingerings for a few different scales/modes.

foreright likes this.
  8. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I got to grade V as a kid and was told I had zero ear for music. I gave it up and found guitar a year later.

Piano is an amazing instrument because it always sounds good. You can be so expressive with simple melodies. I’d like to play more if I had time but I don’t think learning from a teacher helped me do anything except learn how to pass an exam. I never really felt like I learned how to play piano if that makes sense. It’s a great life skill and one guitarists should learn because it will help break out of boxy guitar shapes and restrictions from the tunings we use.

StevenC likes this.
  9. Dayn

Dayn SS.org Regular

I did it at school for not very long, but as an adult I had about 4 lessons. In that time I learned the fundamentals about proper technique, both posture and fingering. I'd suggest doing the same, especially if you're self-taught on guitar. I know the mistakes I made with guitar, so I wanted to make sure I didn't repeat it for piano.

After that, it's all a matter of what you want to play. I can play some complex things, but sheet music is my bane. I end up reading and thinking about it, then playing it and guiding myself by ear and memorising it. So it's a skill that I find hard to develop.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

i dabble in piano. And by that I mean I get drunk, and write simple little ditties on my 100$ casio.

Demiurge and Leviathus like this.
  11. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Oh, I can “play” piano.... doesn’t mean anyone else is gonna like it!

12. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

This is me with so many things ha. Probably piano too, but I enjoy doing different things, and the good thing is whenever we feel like it we can go back to stuff, right? I've a bunch of stuff I've dabbled in but I'm sure for at least the most fun stuff I'll eventually find my way back to it.

Yeah I'm sure it'd be good. Maybe in the future if I stick with it! I'm trying to just kinda be relaxed and take note of anything that hurts etc.

Whaaat!!

I'm just going for it!

We CAN do this.

I have played drums also and there it's a lot about doing different things with different limbs. Eventually when learning something stuff would just click and I could do it all of a sudden! Amazing! I'm expecting the same from piano.

Yeah, it seems a bit tricky. My approach now is to just kinda go with the flow and let my fingers just go over the keys intuitively and try to find a natural way of playing it. It seems that the more times I do that with a passage the more my fingers fall into better more efficient fingerings over time.

Man I hate shitty teachers!!! I'm sure we could have way more musicians and great music if teachers didn't say crap like that. Glad it didn't put you off music for more than that year!!

I know!!! I put my fingers on some seriously dissonant stuff and it's like whoa... it sounds great, this is awesome!!

13. musicman61554

musicman61554 SS.org Regular

I started playing when I was 4 and Im almost 40 now. Self taught til college. Absolutely love playing and it led to many other instruments. Been teaching private lessons on numerous instruments for almost 20 years. Here is a little idea I'm working on for my upcoming album I'll eventually finish lol.

14. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

I do, albeit, very slowly. The most challenging thing I’ve learned so far is the end piano piece in Faith No More’s “Epic”, which requires a little bit of independence between the two hands.

I’m a motherfucker with programming them, though!

Just picked up new 69-key controller last month and I’ve been playing a lot more. Adding a sustain pedal certainly made it a lot more inspiring to play. I love listening to just piano music and am anxious to get better with it, but right now I’m on a bass kick and that’ll probably extend to the next 4 years.

By the time I’m 45, I at least want to be able to pull off one Dream Theater song, preferably “Lines In The Sand”. I’m 38, so I’ve got a few years!

dbrozz likes this.
  15. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Not very much lately, but piano is one of a myriad of instruments I took lessons on in my youth. Before I was mostly a guitar player, I was first chair in orchestra (violin), took some viola and cello, messed around a bit with upright/double bass, took several years of piano, did some drumming, and eventually landed on electric guitar and bass. I still bust out the violin quite a bit, and the piano/keyboards make an appearance every few weeks to every few months to this day.

It's different, but fun sometimes.

16. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Piano was actually the first instrument I learned because I originally wanted to play violin and for some reason, I was told to learn piano first. I soon gave it up because I didn't want to practice (like most 7 year olds like me at the time).

Didn't really touch a keyboard and piano for years until I took a music theory class last year at school and we were using piano keys to help us with our learning. I still can't play much, but I at least can be familiar with the keys again. Plus, it's fun just to noodle around like I do anyways on guitar.

17. Taylord

Taylord SS.org Regular

I learned chords well enough to write my simple songs. The equivalent of a boomer playing the same 4 guitar chords. Love watching Jazz and blues guys go off. I think it's easier to understand theory on piano because it's all laid out in a way that makes sense. Since you can play different things with both hands it really opens a door to composing that you couldn't on guitar.

18. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I blame the teaching system they go by more than the teacher. It’s just drilling scales and pieces into you without encouraging any creativity. Because I couldn’t sing a G or B in one exam I got zero marks for the hearing part and was given out for not recognising it(while they slammed the key about 20 times) . A few years later I found out I had relative pitch so I agree with you about how off putting that could be for students.

No matter how discordant you play it just works on piano. Try anything like that on guitar and it just sounds awful.