Anyone on any kind of a long term diet?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Nick1, Jan 16, 2010.

1. EDG3CRUSHER

EDG3CRUSHER Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider having endeavored on a "long term diet." Moreso just slowly changing my lifestlye.

I lived in Houston for two years, and thoroughly enjoyed myself with drinking, smoking, eating, and playing shows with my band. I've always been a big guy, but in August of 2009, standing 6'5", I weighed myself and was at 286. Last time I weighed myself was two days ago, and am now at 253. I've lost a pretty good amount of fat, and put my high school football muscle back onto my frame.

It's not rocket science. You don't need a book to give you a play-by-play on what to do. You just need to utilize common sense and have a little pride about your own health.

To keep motivated, I weigh myself almost every day. Some people say this is unhealthy, but I guarantee that you're more likely to hit the gym when you're constantly reminded that you need to.

Nick1 likes this.
  2. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Well said sir. :yesway:

3. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Did I read that right? You only eat once a day?

4. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Yes that is correct. 1 Small to medium meal a day that is low in carbs and fat. Never fried or anything like that. Thru the day I drink 2-3 liters of water a day and black coffee or sugar free Red Bull.

5. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

I'm not a dietician, but I don't think thats the way to go about it. You'll definitely lose weight, but as soon as you start eating normally you'll pile weight back on. This happened to a friend. He wanted to lose 100lbs in 100 days (he's a bit of nut), and more or less did it by doing just what you said. Then, started eating normally and I think topped out heavier than when he started.

6. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Well Ive been at it for over a year now and Im pretty used to it. I used to be able to eat a ton of food in one sitting, now I maybe have a small-medium salad with some chicken or something and Im full. I also have a good amount of self control. Once Im happy with my weight I might eat more often. Little amounts but a few times a day.

7. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Living in Curitiba (Brazil). Originally from Rio.
    Well, from your avatar I can say you look nice already! :lol:

8. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

I would go into a long rant about how awful of an idea that is for your body's overall well being (theres more to health than how much fat is on your body) but people with eating disorders need actual treatment that an internet forum cant provide.

9. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

True enough. Try doing what your doing without the coffee and red bulls ;) See how far ya go.

10. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Oh I do. I can go days without coffee or redbull. As long as I have water Im fine. :yesway:

11. TheSixthWheel

TheSixthWheel bangetzit

To the OP:
    You need to eat at least one or two more meals a day (just make em smaller) and remove that awful red bullshit from your diet. If you eat well, you shouldn't NEED the red bullshit or the coffee for additional energy. That makes as much sense as that Atkins diet. You should be gaining almost all the energy you need from your food, and keep up the water.

I'm 6'2", 175lbs (188cm, 80kgs) and I've given myself some pretty shit diets in the past. When I was on my cigarettes, alcohol and meat diet (don't get me wrong, I wasn't actually attempting to take care of myself :lol:), my general health suffered but my weight didn't change. More recently I've experienced a weight increase due to carbonated beverages mixed with scotch when I drink. That crap really makes you pile it on, regardless of your food intake. So much sugar, it's crazy. So currently I'm on a fitness bender, getting into shape by exercising constantly and after a few days I'm feeling way better. Already lost a couple of kilos and I'm starting to snack less also.

I've always believed that when you combine a better diet with REALLY pushing yourself to exercise constantly, your body tells you (if you're good at listening to it) when you need something. So eat when you need to, instead of out of habit. That alone can fix many issues, at least in my experience it does.

These days I don't smoke but I drink again in moderation (after 3 + 1/2 years completely sober) and I make sure I don't eat take away crap. So many people I know just base their food consumption off whatever fast food joints are open. You can really see that it's just shortening their lifespan, especially when they do it week after week.

12. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

^ that much is true for me. Occasionally it will tell me to have an extra fatty meal or will crave certain salad combo's, its neat.

13. TheSixthWheel

TheSixthWheel bangetzit

It's awesome, but I guess a LOT of people don't even try to listen to their bodies. I have to listen to my body, or it'll get me back. I've learnt that it's well in my best interests to listen to what my body says it needs.

14. Nick1

Nick1 SS.org Regular

Well Im still rocking the diet. I feel pretty good. A few people told me over the weekend during two different occasions that I "look too thin". Im guessing its cause they knew what I looked like before I started dieting and what I look like now. So the fact that 2 people mentioned it got me interested in the exact amount I have lost since starting the diet. I did some of the math when I made this thread. Of course posting pics of myself would be the best way to make a fair judgement. But I dont have any pics of myself when I was at my heaviest. So the best I can do at the moment is post for you guys the numbers I came up with which are......

When I started the diet in October 2008 I was 5' 9" tall and weighed 260 Lbs. Having a BMI of 38.4
    Currently its March 2010 and Im the same height and weigh 140 Lbs. Having a BMI of 20.7.
    So over the span of 17 months I lost 120 Lbs. So basically I lost an average of about 7 Lbs. a month.
    According to the BMI chart I could still lost another 15 Lbs and be considered healthy and of normal weight (18.5 BMI) Im not planning on loosing more, but I really dont want to gain any more back.

15. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

Congrats, dude! 120lbs lost is quite impressive!!! The last time I lost 120lbs is when I got dumped a few years ago. Sad. She was small and petite, but had nice D-cup bewbs.

Stealthdjentstic likes this.
  16. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

17. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

Congratz, Nick!

I've just came back from Italy after a 3-week vacations period. I found out I've put up 3kg/7 lbs, not to mention potential lean mass loss due to lack of exerce for all the time (besides walking a lot, that is). Well, I guess it was worth it, for their pizza is really something else ;)

So, as of yesterday, I started both running and a low-carb diet. My usual diet is already low fat, but I do tend to eat a lot of bread. I'm trying to replace it for vegetables somehow. As far as taste goes it's not much of a deal, since I do like healthy food, but it's a rather unpractical thing for snacks.

Too bad I have to save money for another trip later this year, so I can't work out in a gym :(. Gotta find a way to do it in a cheapish way.

18. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

Nuts, trail mix, and sugar free popsicles are good (and good for you) snacks. Beef/turkey jerky are good too, just watch out for the sodium content.

19. Sang-Drax

Sang-Drax God is dad

All the kind of stuff which, except for the nuts, is unavailable around here.

Damn. Today my snack was baked meat with lettuce and raw cabbage. I did eat some bread later on, in the afternoon, but at least it was only once ;)

20. HarryTheVegan

HarryTheVegan Member

Vegan for over a year. Plan to be for the rest of my experience whilst in this body.