Anyone mag swaped their Black Winters?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by CaptainD00M, Mar 9, 2017.

1. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Pretty much what it says in the subject, I'm curious if anyone has done a mag swap or ordered some BW's with different mags. What do they sound like etc?
    Do they have weird mag sizing's?

I'm wondering if I might be able to tweak a BW set to be sludge friendly with slightly looser lows by putting an Alnico mag in a set.

2. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I have not summoned the courage to take one apart yet. I wanted to swap to an A8 or just order it that way from SD Custom Shop. I know a few here have some custom BWs, but I am not sure they had the mags changed, just other voicing changes.

3. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Yeah I did quite a bit of interwebs trawling before I posted this and I think their mag layout might be a little more complex than the average pu - thicker mags and a two spacers, but i dont know if that was the has changed as I read conflicting reports.

I guess everyone's happy with them as they are? which is cool, as basically everything ive heard coming out of them was good, I just wanted to see if I could loosen the low a little bit hence the talk of Alnico. All because one of my Sludge projects started incorporating ideas from Inquisition :lol:

4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I like the BWs just fine, but it would be cool to hear the difference in Alnico Mags vs Ceramics. A8s are similar in power to the Ceramics. But I would like a little more mids with highs being rounded and less harsh. The Nuclear Winter is what I shall name it. Maybe I should finally order one. :lol:

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

Pretty sure maj. Meadows has a couple of bw variants from the custom shop. I think feraledge does too. I'd ask them.

6. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

Mag swaps are very easy to do, I've done it to multiple pickups, most recently a pegasus. Just make sure you get a double thickness magnet.