Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

They do make a 7 string set. It's on a new line of Dean guitars.

2. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Aww cool. Yeah, I can see them on those Deans, but no mention anywhere else. Google only brings up the 6 string version and the only 7 string TWs on EMG's are the 707s.

Are they not available yet?

EDIT: Dean's description does say "...with exclusive brushed chrome EMG 57tw/ 66tw pickups...". Not sure if that means "exclusive to Dean Guitars" or just marketing speak for "high quality".

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Iirc the 6-string 57tw/66tw started as OEM-only for some LTD or ESP guitars then about a year later were announced for sale. Hopefully the same thing happens with the 7 string version (though I would prefer quicker).

I was looking at options for one of my 7’s and I want to try the 57, however I don’t want to lose the single coil sounds with that guitar. I was a little bummed when I realised that the only 7-string ‘tw’ pickup they make is the 707, and I figured there was little chance of a 57-7H-tw, but perhaps there is!

c7spheres likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah the TW 6-string set was first in ESP's EC-1001T exclusively for a year. Then it was later made available publicly. Could be the same with the ERG sets.

5. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

I'd hope so. I like having the option of split coils, even if I don't use it that often. Was always something that put me off EMGs years ago. I vaguely remember it "couldn't be done" for whatever reason and by the time the TWs came around I was on the passive hype train.

6. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Is there a way to age the EMG metal brushed chrome or gold covers? I'm dying to put a Hetset or a 57/66 in my Les Paul but it wouldn't match the aged raw nickel hardware.

7. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I installed a set of ceramic Blackhawks in my Jackson fusion (24.75in rosewood/maple, mahogany body, fairly dark sounding) and have not fallen in love with them at all. While super clear they feel really stiff and somewhat boxy to play in humbucker mode. I absolutely love the cleans when split but but that's not why I got this guitar :lol:. I remembered this guitar sounding pretty awesome with the 81twx/89xr set that was in it 4ish years ago before I started refinishing it so I'm currently debating between that set again or trying a 57tw/66tw set. I play through a POD HD500x and play a lot of melo-death/00's metalcore sounding stuff. Any other EMG recommendations? They need to be splittable.

Middle guitar:
    [​IMG]

Gotta figure out what covers to go with if I do settle on the 57/66 set. The pickup rings are black metal, not plastic so black chrome might be a bit too much.

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Dayumn those Jacksons are sick!!!!
    my favourite is the red with the all maple but lovely collection.
    Ive heard amazing things about the TW versions. When i get the 57/66 set it will be the TW variant.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

The only thing I dislike about the TW variant is I have to have two controls to coil tap.

10. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I'm planning on ordering a H-S ash body for that one soon. It's the only one of the three that hasn't been hacked up in some way (7 string was routed for a neck pickup, fusion was originally painted red and had a larger trem cavity). I have a problem leaving perfectly functional guitars stock :lol:

I prefer individual controls to split each pickup vs something like a 5-way switch or single push-pull pot so that's a bonus for me.

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I doubt I'd ever want to mix a humbucker and single coil in the middle position, so two pots would be pointless. Their 5 way blade switch might be able to accommodate such, but it also takes up more room versus the tele 3 way.

12. MASS DEFECT

Ah, that COW with a neck humbucker! Perfect.

And yes. 57/66TW is the droid you are looking for. Better split tones that the split 81 or 89

lewis and wannabguitarist like this.
  13. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

EMG Pickups Comparison (JR, 81, 85, 57, JH, BB)

We hope you will enjoy it and let us know which one do you like. (57 is one of my personal favorites)

Mathemagician and lewis like this.
  14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Grabbed a Viper couple days ago; been running a Fishman Modern in most of my active guitars, and forgot how raw the 81 sounds. Gonna be a keeper in there for sludge/doom.

lewis likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thanks for this!

Will certainly check out later and report back. I always appreciate people taking the time to create these sorts of things. Its a massive help to me.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

They all sound great and very similar.

The 57 almost sounds like a blend of the 81 and 85 together.
    The BB seems like a lower output, less compressed 81?

the 85 would work in a really thin sounding guitar to get some balls!

I always love my dual 81's but im going to have to grab some 57/66s

Korneo likes this.
  17. MASS DEFECT

Always been a fan of the JH's huge low end and low mids. It's the only one in that comparo that sounded very different from all the others.

18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I honestly can't tell almost any difference. Maybe it's my ears today.
    - The differences I do hear could all just be variations within a performace anyways using the same pickup.
    - The only thing the paked out at me was the Kirk Hammet pickup something about the apparent volume.
    - Also the 85 seemed more spongey or something.
    - Again, the differences I heard could probably all be playing variations using the same pickup.
    - If I look away from the video I can't tell when the pickup has changed.

- It's all a mind fu#k, but I'd bet I could tell if I were to actulaly play them myself.

Korneo and lewis like this.
  19. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Could be wrong forum....but its all for the EMG install.

Pot threaded shaft diameter just a hair too big for the hole. Maybe 1.5mm. What say you guys on enlargening the hole on a finished rear-routed guitar?

upload_2020-9-20_12-33-52.png

20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'd try to find a different pot even if it's not an EMG pot. Maybe EMG sells other pots that would work? Maybe call EMG, they may have a solution.

Seabeast2000 likes this.