Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Yeah, who knows. They could be stickered after the fact like the Peavey Invective, but actually made in China.

c7spheres likes this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

I'm kind of wondering if the pickups, both passive and active, as far as the actual winding of the bobbins, is done in Indonesia. You'd never know either way because they are gooped like a Bill Lawrence, and sold as being "made" in America, whatever the hell that means.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

[​IMG]
    The settings if you wanna try them.

Honestly I've been kinda trying to find other pickups. I love EMGs, and they're REALLY good when they're good, but honestly they've felt more tempermental than passives IMO. I've had guitars that sound beastly, and some that sound ass. I've been trying the Lace Drop n Gain and it's killer so far.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Since they're Cali based and the back of them says "Made in the USA" they should be fully made in the USA, wheras other stuff made overseas then assembled here should say "assembled in the USA" As far as I know that's only for Cali based companies and depends on a percentage of the materials anyways, but who knows who is ever lying about it anyways? What are they gonna get a fine or something if they get caught?
    - I think the positive thing is that these other countrys are doing a really good job with guitars and computer boards etc nowadays.

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yeah, when I was checking out the Synergy stuff I ran across a video of a guy named John Browne. I was thinking damn the Synergy and that guitar sounds great. I kinda want the Mayo guitar he was playing too and the mic and amp too! : ) damn. He was playing a 6 string version though. Not sure if that would translate to the 7 string version or not. Apparently John Browne is a really good guitar player in a band called Monuments. Yes, I've been living under a rock. I don't know these people. : ) I could see myself with a Synergy system and John B guitar though.

0rimus, aesthyrian and Legion like this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Sure, agreed, but I'm not paying premium prices for cheap, sweat shop labor. Either pay them accordingly or lower the price.

aesthyrian, Quiet Coil and c7spheres like this.
  7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Yep, I don't like the vibe I get from companys that do this stuff. I got a lot of uneasy vibes nowadays. Almost everything's not 100% USA made but much of it will say slightly misleading terms like these. I'm willing to bet that some parts of the USA made EMG's are made elsewhere. At least with the auto industry they tell you a Chevy is x% Mexico, Canada, US etc. I'd like to see this will all products personally. That way you know if you want to participate in the companys offerings or not. At least EMG put a giant sticker onthe bottom telling us where it's made and doens't try to mislead about it.

aesthyrian and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  8. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Dirt Magurt

So what’s the consensus on the 81-7h vs the 81-7hx? I really want a 7 loaded with 81’s, but is one better than the other? Is there a difference between the H and just the regular soapbar sized?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

The regular 81 is tighter and more aggressive. The 81X is lower output, smoother, and a bit rounder.

10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- For anyone interested and without risking derailing the thread to much. Here's a quick thingy about the difference of "Made in USA" vs "Assembled in USA" etc vs a Company name and address etc.
    - This has been an ongoing issue for many companys. It crept up in the auto and clothing industry it did with the Axe Fx unit, it crept up again with the Synergy system I was looking into etc.
    - In a nut shell, if the product specifically says "Made in USA" then there is critiria that they must meet to be legit. The company is supposed to have documented standing in order to legally use that phrse. If it doesn't say it specifically or says "Assembled in the USA" or has a company name with a US address (both of which Synergy uses) and doesn't also specifically say "Made in the USA" or has some other horseshit like "Product of the USA" then it's probably not made in the US and deifinity the company is trying to misleaad. It doens't help when a company like Synergy is getting reviewed by guitar.com specificlly saying it's made in the USA which from what I can tell it's not. When companys use this approach it's a diversion tactic. Not to pick on Synergy, it doens't affect my decision whether I get one someday or not, but it's unsavory. I'd rather companies just put where the hell it's actually made, but we al kow that affects the prices and profits.

https://www.themadeinamericamovemen...ied/difference-between-assembled-made-in-usa/

aesthyrian likes this.
  11. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

The maverick single coil I got says ‘Made in USA’ on the bottom so I guess it’s not all retroactives being outsourced (I think they’re technically part of the retroactive line).

I routed my guitar yesterday to accept a single coil in the middle, and to make it front-routed to accept a loaded pickguard. It was previously rear-routed, which is actually pretty convenient - I really like pickguard-mounted everything, but I still have the cavity on the back to reach electronics without having to pull the pickguard.

Also routed my new pickguard for HSS since nobody sells a lefty HSS pickguard, it seems. Hard-wired electronics since the EMG solderless system creates more problems than it solves for me.

5A8CB063-B217-4D20-BC7B-33043A0E939F.jpeg

now I have 85 / SAx / Maverick.

7ADF0977-7768-40D0-9AA9-70912724D106.jpeg

I re-setup the guitar also with lower action than before and lighter strings so it is brighter than before. Maverick and SAx blend pretty well, they sound very good together. Very happy with the setup now.

I have it set up with a neck tone and a middle tone, no tone on the bridge. When I wired it up I absentmindedly used a .022uf cap like I would with passive pickups, and I wondered why the tone knobs did almost nothing. Then I remembered EMG use .1uf. However I also read the X series use that active tone control due to the lower output impedence meaning the regular 25k / .1uf tone control don’t do much. So I used a .47uf cap and that works great. Great sweep on the tone knob, still the ability to get super bright.

I will play around with it more today, I spent most of yesterday working on it (on and off) and only played it for like an hour last night.

lewis and akinari like this.
  12. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Dude, I've been thinking about trying one of those, but no one ever talks about them. How would you compare it to an 81 or, on the passive end, a DD?

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im planning on using a maverick in the neck of my Inca strat

is it any good? There is barely any opinions on them online.

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

there’s barely any reviews of any of their single coils, apart from the S and SA, even the ones that have been out for a long time. Makes me wonder how many they sell.

I think the maverick sounds really good. I have an EMG SV set I recently took out of another strat and replaced with three Seymour Duncan SSL-1’s (widely regarded as a good representation of 50’s fender single coil sound), and while the SV’s did sound like ‘stratty’ singlecoils (moreso than the SA’s which kind of have their own sound), they were not as good as the SSL1’s.

The maverick does sound like a legit single coil, it has the chime and clarity, and the parallel positions with the middle pickup also sound great. I only have a maverick in the neck though.

I did some more comparing, and compared to the SSL1’s it is a bit higher output (but still ‘vintage’ single coil output), brighter, less bass, a bit more scooped, a little more compressed and of course noiseless. The marketing copy on EMG’s site seems to imply this is going after the 60’s fender single coil sound so I wouldn’t expect them to sound the same as the SSL1 (which is more the 50’s fender sound).

cleans and overdrive sound great, but given how bright it is, I would definitely want a tone knob there.

you might have issues with volume balance if you’re using a high output EMG humbucker bridge pickup. It’s not high output and you may have to crank it close, and back off the bridge pickup, to get balance right, if that’s important for you. I don’t mind as much since I use bridge pickup 95% of the time I play high gain.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think humbuckers are best for metal, but I prefer single coils for everything else, from cleans up to rock-level gain.

lewis likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats brilliant!
    Even more interested now tbh haha
    Thank you!

mnemonic likes this.
  16. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

So after re-trying EMGs on my Ibanez I'm tempted to try them out in my Skervesen 7 string. Currently has a Fishman Abasi set in there and I don't quite like them. Voice 1 has loads of high end. Not sure if it's lacking in lows or just the lows are drowned out, but it's a bit scratchy sounding in this guitar. Voice 2 is fuller, but actually a bit dull in the pick attack for my liking and sounds too full. Anyone compared to an EMG set who can suggest what might split the difference? Can't decide if the 81-7, 85-7 or 57-7 makes the most sense.

lewis likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If you go 57 and want to retain the coil split options of the Abasi set - EMG now sell the 57TW/66TW set which is coil splittable and comes with a push/pull pot.

I can't stand the high end scratch on the fishmans either BTW. It's why I went back to EMGS.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

Sounds like you want the EMG 57/66 set or 85x set.

19. Spaced Out Ace

What's the difference between an 85 @18v vs 85x?

20. lyonk55

lyonk55 SS.org Regular

Thanks, I'd not really thought about the X series, so I'll look into those too.

I was interested when I saw those come out, but pretty sure they are 6 string only. Or at least, I can't seem to find a 7 string set at the moment.

I don't get why there is so many highs on the Fishmans. I looked at a bunch of my guitars with a spectrum analyser plugin and most had rolled off by ~5-6 KHz. The Fishman set rolled off a bit later, had higher "plateau" in the highs AND had a hump at around 10 KHz.

lewis likes this.