Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah what a bummer

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I really dig the 66 and Het neck. Pair it with the 81 like Hevy Devy did and it's a great combination.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Anyone tried the super 77s yet?

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I got an EMG Maverick off eBay, one of the new(er) retroactive single coils.

the description on the EMG site seems to imply that bridge middle and neck are all slightly different pickups, though I have no idea which one I have since the position isn’t marked on the back. I put it in the neck of my EMG strat, temporarily replacing an SAx.

I really like it, very clear and punchy, responds very well to the volume and tone knob. Lots of treble on tap, though the tone knob works perfect for dialling in the right amount of high end. I found myself rolling it to about 7 or 8 most of the time for cleans or mild overdrive (about the same as I did with the SAx).

compared to my other strat which has three Seymour Duncan SSL-1’s (which I really like), the maverick in the neck is a bit brighter, a bit lower output, maybe a bit more compressed? Though those are different guitars made of different wood so ymmv.

Fantastic feel, if I were looking to replace the SSL’s in my S/S/S strat, I would strongly consider either these or the EMG crossroads set (which I’m now curious about).

the SAx sounds more linear and hifi, maybe higher output (I forget what height I had it at to be honest), where the Maverick seems more ‘proper strat single coil’.

I had a full set of EMG SV’s in my S/S/S strat until fairly recently when I replaced them with the SSL-1’s, the SV I guess was an older attempt by EMG to cop that 50’s strat tone, I think they’re from the mid-2000’s. They are for sure more ‘stratty’ than the SAx, lower output, but not as good as the SSL-1’s or the maverick. I really liked the SV in the bridge (maybe more than the SSL-1), middle was good, neck was a bit boomy. The SV lacked a bit of the high end sparkle a good single coil has. Also the in-between positions (2 and 4) were not really that good. Maverick does seem to have that sparkle though, step in the right direction.

ordered a new pickguard for my EMG strat and I will route the body for a single coil in the middle (currently it’s just HS routing), and I will stick the SAx in the middle.

Science_Penguin, lewis and c7spheres like this.
  5. SteveFireland

SteveFireland SS.org Regular

I have a four Jackson KVs, all with 81's in the bridge. Two of them have the old logo version, two of them have the new logo version. I'm fairly sure the new logo ones have a slightly lower output... can anyone confirm or deny that?!

c7spheres likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

According to EMG they are exactly the same inside (all new logo styles), but I remember when the new logos came out there were several people all saying they sounded different whatever pickup it was. It could all just be headgames but that's also around when everyone started hating on the 707's too along with the introduction of Blackouts. I still like my 707's which are old logo and solder system. I think most of the differences (if any) probably have to do with solderless stuff.

7. Fluence of Shred

Fluence of Shred SS.org Regular

I don’t know myself. I have a very old ESP Explorer with EMG 81 set in it, and it sounds a little brighter than the EMG 81 in my newer LTD that uses 3 pins. The difference could be from the guitars, too?

For some reason or other, the EMG logos on my set in the older ESP EXP are both a silver, but the set in my newer LTD is gold and silver so maybe they are different.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Are EMGs made in Indonesia now?

[​IMG]

9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I don't know. My first reactio is I feel a little sick, but then I hold out hope for them being counterfiet.

10. Spaced Out Ace

Nope; there are quite a few pics of the underside of Retroactives. They all have "Made in Indonesia." Kind of pathetic, considering they still charge $200. Makes you wonder if any of them are made in America, and even worse when you realize that they increased the price of the passives quite a bit, and are likely outsourced. Gross.

lewis and c7spheres like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

You are joking?!

Ffs. I loved that I was buying USA Made pickups.

Least it's not made it China but still.

12. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Looks like both - the actual pickup is made in Indo but the preamp (the quintessential part of any active EMG) is made in the US. The two are probably mated stateside as well, but who knows...

At the end of the day, if you really like the tone then who cares where it was made? Only reason I won’t be trying them for the foreseeable future is that they’re not splittable (and I would love a reason to get back into EMGs).

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    lewis likes this.
  13. SteveFireland

SteveFireland SS.org Regular

It could be the solderless stuff, I suppose. All the electronics in the guitars with the old logo pickups are soldered. The difference is noticeable though, not least because I can see the old logos "tickling the red" on my AX8 input indicator way more than the new logos.

The gold logo usually indicates an 85. I run an 85/81 combo (as opposed to the more common 81/85 combo) in another KV I have, use it mainly for recording to get a slight difference on one side from the 81 on the other side.

c7spheres likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Paying $200 for third world produced pickups is absurd. Also makes me wonder what else is outsourced.

c7spheres and lewis like this.
  15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I forgot where I heard it, but when they first came out I read they were made in Korea, actually.

But yeah, they're made in Indo. If you find some second-hand listings and see the under-shots, they're Indo.

Although I found pictures of the Jim Roots, and they're USA-made.

16. WYLD STALLYNS

WYLD STALLYNS ESP Custom Shopper

I hate to sound like a snob, but that’s how I feel about anything besides Lundgren - even fluence. Like I bought a few set of fluence, and the one I got last was a brand new set for $150 (demo display set with packaging damage) and I felt that was right, I couldn’t barely stomach it

Lundgren M model > EMG 81 IMHO

It’s like the Lundgren has all the power and heat, with this mid range growl as described, and it really does give it this special edge, its wonderful.....

EMG’s are a fail safe, you know what you are gonna get, everytime

Other sets, not so much ....(IDK about fluence but IMHO they are the best pickups ever made to date)

c7spheres and lewis like this.
  17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Only the Red Actives have parts that are imported, the rest of their product line as far as their mainstream pickups are concerned are made in USA.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

I never tried the M-series Fluences. looking to change that. The only pickup I've tried that's an "EMG killer" and I liked was the Lace Drop n Gain. I liked the BKP Painkiller at first, but I felt the high end DID get harsh at times.

Also about the Retro-Actives. I know the first round of Retro Actives actually used the EMG HZ OC1 bobbins (if you actually look at early Retroactives, the bobbin model numbers are actually EMG HZs). That leads me to wonder if the bobbins are made overseas, and the preamps are made in the US.

c7spheres likes this.
  19. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I've been curious to try Bareknuckle Nail Bomb 7 in the bridge. I heard those are great for mid chunk and tight lows and smooth highs.

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

Might have to try those. If the Painkiller had a LITTLE less clanky treble, I'd dig it.