Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Give us a detailed review----what makes the Bone Breakers different than the classic 81/60 combo?

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  2. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

FWIW, I Can only say, I own the Carpenter set, which while the core and pickup itself are basically the modern, the EQ is tweaked a bit, there are more high mids, so instead of a steep scoop (which I wouldn’t mind) it has more heat and more output so it packs a little more “punch” than a modern.....or so I would imagine .... (if fishman is accurate With their specs )

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I know some people here will claim the Fluence Modern > EMG 81 as if it's chiseled-in-stone fact and not an objective opinion... But nah, I'm not buying it. I only had one guitar I loved the Moderns in, and that's it. I've had much better luck with the 81/60 set or Fluence Classic set.

And yes, tell us about the Bonebreakers. I've seen people either swear they're different, or claim they're just a rebagded 81/60A set.

lewis and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  4. Politics of Ecstasy

I agree, what was the Fluence created to compete with, what is the “sound “ based on, what is it trying to emulate/surpass??:the EMG 81; so some people prefer the classic 81 sound , and I think depending on your guitar and rig , the 81 might be the best choice....I know it never disappoints : if I see a guitar with an 81 in the bridge I automatically am more drawn to it than any other pickup (save Lace and now Fluence)..and there is no chiseled in stone fact, they are >81 objectively as far as tone (tech wise is a different story but tone wise you play what you prefer)

and Yes, I also beleive your second point is true: like the Hetfield set I thought was rebadged with EQ tweaks I also think same with Kirks, but that’s just speculation , I don’t know, but your onto something lol

lewis and c7spheres like this.
  5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

You are not imagining things. The 81 does have more bass. I boost my bass when Im using the moderns. But I also scoop the mids quite a bit since they have a shitton of mids around the 700 area.

6. Politics of Ecstasy

F8AACD0F-5B56-47E3-90FF-316C81C907F6.jpeg I hope one day Lewis and Mass defect and c7 get a chance to try the Carpenter set (correctly wired, WITH boost engaged).... that’s like exactly why i went with Carpenter [i dont listen to the deftones; i dont know Carpenter as a player; IOW I’m not a fan of his in any sense] , the sound from the videos and the explanations and then talking to Michael, the Carpenter bridge Is the modern with heightened upper mids and higher output. Instead of a scoop like this [if you will, forgive my drawing]

7. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

I remember how I learned about EMGs. I had already been a Metallica fan for a couple of years, but hadn't yet learned about EMG pickups. One day a friend puts in a cassette of the notorious "Satanic" band Slayer's brand new album South of Heaven and told me they used EMG pickups that are "boosted" by batteries. By the time the first crunch riff kicked in, I was sold!! The late '80s Reign/South of Heaven crunch tone is still my favorite today! :bowdown:

8. Politics of Ecstasy

So....they got us both, huh??????

And now look at them? Left us with our dicks in our hand, and Fluence in the other.....HEY EMG, GET YO SHIT TOGEVA

First I see Fishman kicks the shit out of them, and now I just found out about these:
    https://www.cycfi.com/product/nu-multi-7/

Really, EMG, now I see the backward (re)progression; they are cornered and out of ideas

I think Fishman and Cycfi are the ones to start watching boys

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

As long as I can buy an 81 and tune to dropC and Drop D I’m going to be just fine.

10. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

9v EMG 81 is the fucking sound. Nothing else clamps down on palm mutes like they do. Nothing!!

11. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

I’ve never done a review before but I’ll give it a crack.

I bought an Epiphone les Paul Matt Heafy signature (6 string)
    It came stock with EMG 81/85.
    I had already purchased the Zakk Wylde set and decided to buy the Bone Breaker set.
    I’ve never had or played a stock 60 before so can’t speak too much as to weather the BB 60 is any better or worse.

here’s what I found.
    All 3 sets are the plug and play which is good for me as my soldering skills are amateur at best.

I pulled the original 81/85 set out and put the ZW set in and noticed that the bridge pickup was no different but the neck pickup seemed to me to have more clarity and punch.

next the ZW set out and bone breakers go in

the bridge pickup, I can’t really explain it but it seemed to be crisper without being harsh. Good mix of mids and bottom end I guess is how I could explain it. The neck pickup was pretty muddy to me and I didn’t like it. Seems like it’s really boomy.

in the end I put the 81 bone breaker and the ZW 85 and it sounds pretty good to my ear.

Its not really a detailed review but I can say this. The 81 bone breaker was best of the 3 bridge pickups and the 85 ZW was the best of the neck pickups.

I used the same amp settings and the same strings (Ernie Ball power slinky) for all 3 sets of pickups. These are just my observations and should be taken as such.

Mathemagician and c7spheres like this.
  12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Man. Can I buy the 81 BB separately?

13. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Mathemagician

you might be able to, I’ve only ever seen them in the set though.

14. MASS DEFECT

I have tried the Carpenters set on my 7, and so far I think it is more like a Blackout rather than an 81. It has extended lows and more highs than I need. Ive been hunting for the rare 6 string set though, so I might try em again.

So far, in my experience and to my ears, in terms of eq, the Tosin bridge in active mode is the closest to an 81 since it has bass the moderns lack. It is also a bit more relaxed in the mids and is brighter where it counts. But it is not as tight as an 81 since it has Soe low mids gut puch to them.

Check this kid's video out:

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I think you can only buy the Bone Breakers as a set. I think the Bone Breaker 60 will sound better in a 25.5" (or any scale, but more so at 25.5"+) with 24 frets.

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.
  16. Politics of Ecstasy

You guys don’t like Blackouts?
    The ONLY thing that ever came close at all to the EMG 81 was AHB-1, and then when the 707 and 808 were being pushed, the SD Blackout Bridge 8 string was like the EMG 81-8....way ahead of EMG during the ERG rat race early!
    I always saw Blackouts as like Venom to Spider-Man, i like em....(not all of them, there are 4 iterations)

17. MASS DEFECT

You can email emg and they will let you purchase just the bridge or neck off a set for half the price of the set. I got my het bridge this way since I use it for my my one hum guitar.

Spaced Out Ace and Mathemagician like this.
  18. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

What do you think of the hetset pickups?

19. MASS DEFECT

It's a better 81, for me. Not as laser precise and as tight. But it has more expansive frequencies you can work with. It is bigger sounding and brighter.

failsafe likes this.
  20. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Hmmm,

you talked me into getting one. Well I was already thinking of getting the Hetset anyway because well you know.......the search for tone never ends does it?