Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by lewis, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

They've upped the prices of just about everything except the active pickups. Pretty large price increases in some cases.

Masoo2, lewis and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  2. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

DUDES! That’s what I’m saying. Chrys Johnson is probably on here right now, trendwatching what to raise.....like I really think they are....They’ve been $47 for 30 years, and now we start talking about it, and the price doubles????????????????

Mr Johnson, you sir, are simply offensive !

lewis likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

I don't see EMG's passive line -- any of them -- competing with other brands at the prices they want.

Masoo2, lewis and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  4. Politics of Ecstasy

Thank you, that’s ALL I was saying - they are THE active company, instead of trying to one up Fluence and show Fishman who the REAL king of actives is; they go and start exploring the passive market, while increasing accessories to prices no one should spend ($80 for a TONE KNOB like Lew said haha lol what a joke)

And spaced ace, you said it man, like pivoting to passives?? At prices higher than Lundgren? Like honestly, they need to talk to mr dimarzio, they need some guidance it seems

Mr Johnson, you have missed the mark, sir! (Lol)

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Well said. Completely agree with all this.

Feels a slap in the face of people who stay loyal to EMG Depsite Fishmans rise in popularity etc etc.

Double the price out of nowhere isnt just inflation.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

I do like the EMG passives I've tried (H2B, H2N, H3, H4), by the way. But $100 for a passive when I can get a Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan for less than that? Yeah, gimme a break. Also, if I am going for EMGs, and look at the price of passives, but they are the same price as the actives, I'm probably more than likely to skip both. Just a thought.

I don't get why there was a 50% price increase on the Alexi Laiho set. I believe I got mine for $100 a piece. Now they are $150. I don't get why the passives had a price hike of over 33% either, which I believe I bought mine for $69 if memory serves. $80 for accessories is absolutely absurd. $40-50 is much more reasonable. I doubt I'd like Fishman's enough to pay $250 for an option I likely wouldn't use, but you are not going to compete with them by having similar prices. You'll compete with them by continuing to provide killer actives, and moving into the "open coil" market as the Retro Actives do. Provide a "Retro Active" open coil version of the 81, 85, and 60/60A. Or even the JH Set and 57/66 sets.

I'm not sure off hand how much more the metal covers are, but I believe they are like 15-20 bucks more for a metal cover of a product currently in production. Frankly, I'd prefer to save the cash and get the standard black covers. Or the white and cream covers. Which by the way, why are those more money than the black ones? You likely don't sell as many of those, so you combat that by making it less likely those will sell? Uh, yeah, great idea.

In short:
    Price of same pickups with different covers are absurdly priced.
    Accessory prices are ridiculous.
    Price of passives, which don't really have the good will that other brands do (Duncan, Dimarzio), is absolutely insane.

Not sure what EMG thinks they're going to accomplish by doing any of this. I really don't.

lewis and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  7. Politics of Ecstasy

This is where I was coming from when I began about the Fluence spiel. Like I really thought Fishman wasn’t just pushing the envelope (I’m serious, the tech of using circuit boards instead of wiring etc), but I was convinced EMG would finally drop a bomb....something that was in development for years but they held it back because they were waiting for another active company to come out with something like SD blackouts, and then ,BAM, hit us with a real game changer

instead, Fluence smashed the active market and EMG retreated into the passive world for new endorsees(?)

im not a Fluence artist, I think you guys know by now, but my zeal for them came from Their similarity (and IMHO improvement ) to the EMG 81/85, but the improvements I’ve been wanting (and many of us ) in the 81 didnt come from EMG, it was developed by Fishman, and their take on active/passive is where I would’ve guessed EMG developed by now

I think Fluence really fucked them up and they are struggling To pivot and remain relevant

I mean, I get they’re desperate, but do something new like Fishman, don’t go backwards....like the passive market is not just saturated but EMG will never have passives to rival Lace Or Lundgren if this is a reflection of the state of EMG

it’s kinda sad, but also disappointing to a life long fan like myself....

when I first saw Fishman was coming out with an active a couple of years ago, I literally LMAO, I said , “yeah ok, your jumping from piezo to picking a fight with the leading technological pickup company....go back to LR Baggs”

Then I heard them, couldn’t beleive what I was reading. Bought them, and I couldn’t beleive EMG was outshined finally, but like , just fight back EMG!

really I laughed at fishman , and their artists roster, like I said who would leave EMG to go to another aCtive company, like did no one learn from SD? You can’t fuck with EMG ....

And then when i played my first few notes , I knew the sad truth couldn’t be denied anymore...my trust 81s would now be put aside for my Carpenters (and I hate that I had to get an artist model; but I talked extensively with Michael and Derek and we all agreed the carpenter would be most like the 81, especially with the wiring how I did it)

Ugh sorry long post, just echoes of lew and spaced disappointment , but don’t despair either get a pair of Fluence (take your pick man, there are like 10 sets now) OR let’s petition EMG to stop their bullshit, and get back to the workbench and design a circuit board or something like Fluence core technology

I think I have a total of 6 EMG guitars, 1 8 string (installed on my 2228, those aren’t cheap pickups) and I like my Fluence the most , and they are the most versatile to boot (just a plus)

lewis likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

All I remember is the mid-00’s when the HZ1 set was the most common EMG passive and the entire world unilaterally loathed them. The HZ4 came out and was considered “the minimum-est of ok”. Now they’re cool? News to me.

lewis and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

This!

They are trash haha.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I don't get the love for the old HZ sets. I haaaated them. Still wanna give the MF set a try

Politics of Ecstasy and lewis like this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

If i was an artist who was lucky enough to sign with EMG and could get a sig series - i probably would go the route of Jim Root to help maximize sales on my set.
    I.e open coil Retro active/81 hybrid with his own unique voicings. (And do 7 and 8 string offerings too)

I feel like people have been after open coil versions (with any colour bobbins) of EMG actives for YEARS. Decades even.

12. Politics of Ecstasy

Personally, I love EMG’s original flat matte black soapbars. I think they are the sickest looking pickups EVER, even more than Lace (or Q-tuner, still haven’t heard from anyone who tried..darn it!)....

I actually was sorta mad at fishman for modifying the soap bar with a Glow in the Dark crooked line no less, but it grew on me, and after I started to respect fluence, i kinda like it now..... but thats just to show

An offshoot of the original is flattery, to be designed similarly, its like a tip of the hat (and a snub Maybe at the same time lol)

But anyway, the first thing that drew me to the 81/85 set was, I was a young kid, like 12 or 13, and i only saw pickups with magnets, so when someone told me “hey man, metallica uses these pickups from EMG. [what’s EMG?], so Hammetts guitar has distortion BUILT IN”......’woah!’

Now that is completely wrong lol its just great pickups with a pre amp, but for years I thought that is what was doing it, these black magic pickups (and 9v pickups) .... ofc later i discovered the reality, but really I thought until I started to experiment with passives like Lace and Lundgren, that NOTHIn would ever touch EMG

Things change..... [looks like EMG is changing too, not in the way we want, if i may say so]

c7spheres likes this.
  13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Thats the same thing that drew James Hetfield to EMG apparently. :lol:

I think he was told something like "Dude, these have batteries, so they have more distortion!!!"

14. Politics of Ecstasy

That’s exactly how it was explained to me...dude said, ”yeah man, I’m telling you! because they use battery powered pickups, the guitar already have distortion built in, so when you turn on the [DS1 and/or Metal Zone pedal lol remember those man BOSS!] pedal, its WAY heavier than any other guitar you can find out there, hands down”

I bought that shit: an 81/85 set was ordered that weekend...and then I bought another, and another, and another, and so on and so forth, give or take, for almost 20 years.....

*(and now IM DONE, besides my Qtuner interest which will never be satiated, because I won’t take the plunge, and I doubt any serious metal players here, particularly in this discussion, are going to take a chance, so it’ll remain a mystery; and Fishman will never get any more money from me, they are priced fine, but the wiring/install will kill your wallet, literally I paid more than the guitar and the pickups cost to install! Not including the pups!....and at Fishman, only Michael Flannigan is a good rep, Derek, you sir are an asshole and you almost made me give up on the wiring and return the my fluence set, luckily Peekamoose knows their pickups better then Fishman’s own techs...and FWIW, EMG has a bunch of new shit heads working for them too, Rick Hunt used to be the man, he would help you with any questions, and now whoever answers arent cool...i dont know if anyone called recently, but I asked them about adding one of their component to my fluence wiring and they weren’t just mean with “we have nothing to do with fluence, so I have no idea, they have nothing to Dow with us”, they are almost snobbish lol all I wanted to know was if I could add one of those overpriced tone knobs to my wiring and it could run on the same battery, but he REFUSED to answer me, I said, can i talk to rich, mistakenly instead of rick, and he was like “RICH??!?!?! There’s no rich here,I think you should just call Fishman, and hung up)

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

The CS is one reason why I don't wanna dive too deep into the Fluence train. If something goes wrong, I feel like I'm fucked. :lol:

I still got an 81X/85X waiting to be installed to something. I got a G&L ASAT on the way that I'm curious about tinkering with.

Marked Man and lewis like this.
  16. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

I put a set of bone breakers (Hammet set) into my Heafy sig les Paul, easy as, plug and play. Sound is heavy and it’s throaty ❄️

17. Politics of Ecstasy

please let us know how you like it, it looks promising on paper so any EMG fan here would give a good review , as once earlier

And CS/wiring problems - Actually that was my fear realized when I got the tech bill...never again will I do a self install, if I EVER get another Fluence guitar it’ll be because it’s pre installed with them. Like if you really know what your doing and you can wire yourself go for it, or pay an authorized dealer....no middle ground

Otherwise, I think I may just end up going back to Lace if I give up on buying 9v.

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im probably in a minority but i still feel the tone from the EMG81 sounds better than the fishman moderns. At least for live.

Thanks to quick connect ive tried both recently in the same guitar.
    81s cut way easier in a live mix and just sound monsterous in comparison.
    Fishmans are good but even maxxing the bass out (im hardwired V1 on bridge) doesnt give you that sledgehammer to head levels of punch the 81 does.

Ive said this before but i think Fishmans are a great recording pickup due to the FRFR type nature of them and that hifi/super clear tone but EMGs work better for live due to the mids and how heavy they are in comparison.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Has anyone ever used an EMG 58? I kind of wish EMG would make an "HLV" -- basically a humbucker sized Steve Lukather single coil SLV.

20. juka

juka SS.org Regular

Yes, I still have an original 58 (from the times they still used this fugly brownish epoxy to seal their pups and the 58 was custom shop only) flying around somewhere. It's noisy as hell and sounds pretty meh, when you hear it you understand why it was replaced by the 85 really fast.

Marked Man likes this.