Anyone into Watches?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keirosen, Sep 12, 2015.

1. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I'm a big proponent of doing whatever makes you happy, but if you're going to bust down a steel Date-Just, just know that you're going to get hammered if you ever decide to sell or trade it. So hopefully it's your buddy that's taking the hit haha.

NateFalcon likes this.
  2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

haha wow...how much does something like that run?

3. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Guy wants 15...he paid close to 20 but I’m trying to get him down to the 12-13 range. It’s honestly the last thing I need but I’m kinda set on something loud and it’s definitely blinding from any angle

4. NateFalcon

Definitely...I wouldn’t sell it, the guy says he’s only worn it twice so it’s mint and I’d have the back of it engraved with a memorial for my kid...probably “Larry Lives...We Sleep” -in reference to They Live which was his favorite movie

5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

As the kids say: Yolo swag fam extra
    Get it and post pics

NateFalcon likes this.
  6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Yup, now I feel old.

7. NateFalcon

I’ll fly that shit in the cut, cuddy lol

8. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

I own two watches, one Diesel and one Caterpilar. They are great workhorses and I got them for a ridiculous price years ago. They still look elegant today and gather compliments. Also I can check the time when I am bored by simply using peripheral vision as opposed to whipping out the cell phone and making it obvious.:agreed:

9. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

:worth:

10. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

Here are some quick photos of the Diesel one that I am wearing right now. I never correct the date on it, due to always having it in my mind but I think I should get to it eventually. The band is of course not the original one, that one was leather with screw-like buttons on the sides, I did not like it and due to the intense heat here in Cyprus, it made little sense to get a similar one when it got destroyed. The screw-buttons also caused damage to the band each time I wrapped it on my wrist. I opted for a cheaper one so that I can switch easily.
    IMG_20180920_105905.jpg IMG_20180920_105901.jpg IMG_20180920_105922.jpg

Keirosen likes this.
  11. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Oris 80th Anniversary Big Crown Pointer Date

40mm bronze case. I love it!
    [​IMG]

cult, ThePhilosopher, nikt and 3 others like this.
  12. Keirosen

Keirosen JazzMaster Whore

Holy shit. I don’t feel the need to Necro this, cause well... it’s been pretty consistently posted on. Didn’t know the SS community had so many watch lovers!! Due to life happening and such, I’ve had to get rid of a lot of my watch collection, so it sure is nice to go back and see all these badass pieces in this thread!

13. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

^ no need to bump if we keep it up :D I'm confident that I speak for a bunch of us saying that while the guitar/amp/pedal gas isn't bothering, the watch gas it :lol:

Sweet! I was eyeing a Big Crown Pointer Date in the BF craze, but managed to get through without any new purchases. One of the reasons being that I already decided to reward myself with a grail (let's say it's got something to do with divers and Sly Stallone...) after my band finishes the album we're working on, and I kinda got one already because of coming across a sweet deal that propably wouldn't repeat anytime soon. But it's buried in a closet and I'm not allowing myself to touch it before we're done with the album. So, pics coming later! :lol:

Anyway, has any of you heard of the Finnish watchmaker Stepan Sarpaneva? He used to work in Switzerland making watches for local brands until he started making his own watches in the 2000's. His Korona design is stunning, as well as Vetehinen from his "affordable line" called S.U.F (Sarpaneva Uhren Fabrik). Check them out below (serious drool alert!), I don't want to embed any pics because I think one should see how these designs allow such multiple variations:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sar...sPreAhVBBSwKHd6VCtUQ_AUIDigB&biw=1676&bih=936

https://www.google.com/search?q=sar...sPreAhVEjiwKHabMDuYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1676&bih=936

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  14. beerandbeards

When I think stallone, I think Richard Mille... which I don’t think has ever made a diver. Color me interested!

15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

When I think Stallone, I think Panerai.

ThePhilosopher, sirbuh and Semi-pro like this.
  16. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I kind of took a break from the watch world for a bit, but I'm coming back. I took my Tudor BBB to get the bracelet refitted (yay losing 50 pounds) and tried on a second hand black dial Explorer II. I honestly haven't thought of making another purchase since getting my Tudor a couple of years ago. But the Explorer II really was wonderful.

It won't happen soon, but I'm thinking either a GMT Master II or Explorer II as a next watch. What's up for next purchases for everyone else?

beerandbeards likes this.
  17. beerandbeards

I’m thinking about starting a savings account and saving 10% of each paycheck. I think the Rolex Datejust 41 with the grey dial would be awesome. It’d take a few years but the feeling of saving would be epic

JSanta likes this.
  18. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Right now the Nomos, Daytona and Dark Side have me well covered. If I get anything else I think a white face Explorer II would be sweet, but part of me just wants to save up for something dumb like an A Lange & Sohne Datograph

ThePhilosopher and JSanta like this.
  19. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

I nabbed this guy for under $500 for Christmas.
    [​IMG]

beerandbeards and JSanta like this.
  20. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

Did you see what Lange introduced at SIHH this year? The new Zeitwork is obviously a stunner, but this is the one that really caught my attention: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-lange-and-sohne-lange-1-25th-anniversary-introducing

Not something that will probably ever be in the cards for me (any Lange honestly), but I do love them. You've already got a killer 3 watch collection, something like a Lange or JLC would be fantastic.

I'm going back and forth between a GMT Master II or the Explorer II. I like the really understated look of the Explorer II, so I will probably get one of those, but it will need the orange 24 hour hand.

ThePhilosopher likes this.