Anyone into Sleep Token? (Check out if you like Deftones)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Marv Attaxx, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Found this band a few days ago while listening to an obscure italian radio station while at work :D
    Was instantly hooked and needed to shazam it, after work I then bought the record haha.
    It reminds me a lot of Deftones (their guitar-guy plays an M80M in Drop E) and also it has a lot of Pop elements and I think the vocals are absolutely fantastic (except one song they're mostly clean).
    Have a listen:

Something groovy:

Lots of atmosphere in this one with a batshit crazy breakdown in the end:

Something poppy:

And something heavy and screamy:

Interesting read by their Producer/Engineer George Lever (Loathe, God Complex, The Arusha Accord, He Is Legend, Lotus Eater etc.): http://g1productions.com/sleep-token-jaws/

ImNotAhab and Flemmigan like this.
  2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Superb band. Had the pleasure of seeing them a few times including an intimate seated show in a tiny old church!

ImNotAhab, Flemmigan and Marv Attaxx like this.
  3. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx ಠ_ಠ

Damn, must have been great! I've checked out a few live videos on youtube and it seems like the guy sounds exactly like on the record!

4. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Their album was one of my favorites in 2019. Bloodsport is one of the best songs I've heard in years, bar none. I think they've breathed some fresh air into the progressive metal scene and I hope they keep at it.

ImNotAhab likes this.
  5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yep, easily one of the best live bands I've seen

ImNotAhab likes this.
  6. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Love the album, only thing is that while the vocals are emotion soaked and amazing, they kinda feel a bit too much for a full album.

Saying that, it was still one of my favourite releases of 2019, so it's a minor complaint if anything.

7. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Good call OP, love those cats.

8. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Saw them open for Babymetal with no prior knowledge of the band, have to say I wasn't impressed, musically I don't remember much other than that a lot of the breakdowns seems rather random. Wasn't too impressed with the 'anonymous collective' thing, and the vocalist sometimes sounded like he was about to cry, all of the above gave me the impression that they seem to be trying too hard to look and sound 'edgy'.

Anyways, now they seem to be blowing up and getting good reviews everywhere, maybe I just didn't 'get' them and should give it another try.

9. Folsom

Folsom SS.org Regular

Is it confirmed what tuning they primarily use? Watching live versions of The Offering the guitarist is using his open 8th string for the low note in the ending breakdown, but all tabs I've found (and most video play throughs) use the 2nd fret of 8th string for the low note. It seems the tabs are all transcribed in a lower tuning than what is used live. Why would that be?

10. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Drop-E, or Drop-A with a low E beneath it, is their confirmed tuning. Whomever tabbed the stuff out probably was playing in a different tuning while tabbing and didn’t give a shit about what tuning the band plays in.

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Aren't they in D now ? Haven't checked but I was pretty sure on that.
    Also worth noting that at least one song (When The Bough Breaks) has been transposed live. When I saw them last they played it a fair bit lower , and with some new structure/parts