Anyone into Lorna Shore?

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Darko US has a similar effect on me. The intense high pitch fried shrieks over the–in comparison–very low music might be what's wearing me out after a few listens.
With Darko US there's just so much distortion/compression on the vocals that it doesn't even sound good. Sounds like they tracked it through a hot pre into a crushing distressor, then added even more gain/saturation after the fact to the point it wouldn't matter if dude had any vocal technique anyways.

On topic, Lorna Shore is dope and Will's multis for this song are inspiring to listen to without any post processing. The guitar multis sounded like soggy bags of ass, but they fit in the mix pretty well.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Flesh Coffin is still my favorite thing they've done :metal:

Will is good in the band, but some of the newest EP sounds pretty gimmicky like "that" breakdown in To The Hellfire. I'll be interested to hear more of what he and the band release in the future, though.

Drama aside, I thought CJ was good when I saw them live with him a few times, although they were still exclusively or mostly playing songs from Flesh Coffin on those tours. His vocals on Immortal were...okay. I prefer Tom's style in general, but he served the songs well for the most part without too much of the gimmicky "pig trapped in a garbage disposal" noises. I really like the instrumentals of Immortal, so I'm hoping they'll still play some of it live in the future.

FB_IMG_1632966608991.jpg

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
With Darko US there's just so much distortion/compression on the vocals that it doesn't even sound good. Sounds like they tracked it through a hot pre into a crushing distressor, then added even more gain/saturation after the fact to the point it wouldn't matter if dude had any vocal technique anyways.

On topic, Lorna Shore is dope and Will's multis for this song are inspiring to listen to without any post processing. The guitar multis sounded like soggy bags of ass, but they fit in the mix pretty well.
I just went to check out Darko again. I think you are right that everything is compressed to death and I didn't notice it on first few listens but there seems to be some blow out on the vocals for sure. I found them performing a few of the songs in the studio and there you can sort of tell how much extra boom the different parts carry in the mix. It's a little it much for me. I'll say the way that intensity pairs with their visuals makes for a really uncomfortable experience, which in this case is likely a win for them.

Back on topic, where did you listen to the Lorna tracks before processing? Curious about the guitar sound but not surprised. I find I don't generally like recorded guitar tones by themselves. It's also confusing for my own tones when I mess with home recording and try to mimic reference songs.

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really really dont like Into the Hellfire. Its like the band decided that Adam's guitarwork should be stuffed into the corner so that all the orchestral elements and Will's vocal could shine. And even then its painfully one note in term of songwriting. And Adam, dude, what's the point of writing intricate fast staccato melodic death riffage when barely anyone can hear it next to the wall of strings, horns and other shits? I never liked the mix due to how bloated it sounds and the kicker was when its featured in Nail The Mix in the beginning of the year.

And yet, somehow people like it very much. Its like they only know the breakdown and then that's it.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just went to check out Darko again. I think you are right that everything is compressed to death and I didn't notice it on first few listens but there seems to be some blow out on the vocals for sure. I found them performing a few of the songs in the studio and there you can sort of tell how much extra boom the different parts carry in the mix. It's a little it much for me. I'll say the way that intensity pairs with their visuals makes for a really uncomfortable experience, which in this case is likely a win for them.

Back on topic, where did you listen to the Lorna tracks before processing? Curious about the guitar sound but not surprised. I find I don't generally like recorded guitar tones by themselves. It's also confusing for my own tones when I mess with home recording and try to mimic reference songs.
It was one of the NTM tracks not too long ago. RE: guitars, they’re just super distorted and scratchy. Sounds like a Metalzone into a distorted amp.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really really dont like Into the Hellfire. Its like the band decided that Adam's guitarwork should be stuffed into the corner so that all the orchestral elements and Will's vocal could shine. And even then its painfully one note in term of songwriting. And Adam, dude, what's the point of writing intricate fast staccato melodic death riffage when barely anyone can hear it next to the wall of strings, horns and other shits? I never liked the mix due to how bloated it sounds and the kicker was when its featured in Nail The Mix in the beginning of the year.

And yet, somehow people like it very much. Its like they only know the breakdown and then that's it.
Do you subscribe to NTM? I don’t think the final mix is amazing, but with all the tracks laid out there’s only so much room. I did like that they made definite decisions in tracking and went with them even if they might have had a “better” idea after the fact. So much of the NTM stuff is DIs and drum MIDI and the engineer can go wherever with it.

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you subscribe to NTM? I don’t think the final mix is amazing, but with all the tracks laid out there’s only so much room. I did like that they made definite decisions in tracking and went with them even if they might have had a “better” idea after the fact. So much of the NTM stuff is DIs and drum MIDI and the engineer can go wherever with it.
I used to for quite sometime. I unsubbed it right before the Lorna Shore month. I just think there's so much going on in that tracks and so many layers that it ended up really making it bloated. Its like Wintersun's Time I for example.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's the nail the mix podcast thing? I used t listen to the show during my commute but haven't subscribed to the courses. Is it worth it?

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
josh schroeder produced it. he is located here in michigan. he's done a lot of big bands recently. last time i talked to him he was booked out like 7-8 months and this was before into the hellfire exploded so i bet its longer and more expensive now. seems like a really smart dude.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's the nail the mix podcast thing? I used t listen to the show during my commute but haven't subscribed to the courses. Is it worth it?
I think that's pretty subjective. I've been subbed and unsubbed and just pay for it when something interesting is coming. I think if you're just getting into recording/mixing getting to handle pro tracks and watch guys who get paid to mix show you step-by-step how they get a sound is pretty great. I've definitely learned a few things that nobody ever talked about at audio engineer school.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think that's pretty subjective. I've been subbed and unsubbed and just pay for it when something interesting is coming. I think if you're just getting into recording/mixing getting to handle pro tracks and watch guys who get paid to mix show you step-by-step how they get a sound is pretty great. I've definitely learned a few things that nobody ever talked about at audio engineer school.
if it's easy to quit the subscription I might actually try it out. I only dabble in audio recording in my free time so I don't really need a long term membership. All these services end up EOY. Thanks for the info!

RevelGTR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw them before Covid and thought they were alright, that was well before they blew up with To the Hellfire though. I love caustic, ridiculously heavy shit but something about TtH just gives me a headache, it’s so over the top and processed that it doesn’t really register as heavy for me.

MetalheadMC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new song has really grown on me. As has the rest of their material. Between Will's vocal videos, and Adam's guitar playthroughs, the talent is unreal.

I was going to go to their show tomorrow night, but for the first time in forever, a fucking metal band has sold out here. I was looking forward to seeing Distant, too.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lorna Shore's not really my thing (in all honesty there's not much deathcore that I really get into), but I think their guitarist is great and Will Ramos seems like a really likable person, even putting aside the crazy sounds that the guy can make. There's actually a YouTube vid that just came out where Will got a camera put down his throat. It's pretty vlog-y, so skip the first 17 minutes if you're not into that thing, but it's also pretty interesting.

Decapitated

Loser
Reaction score
Lorna Shore's not really my thing (in all honesty there's not much deathcore that I really get into), but I think their guitarist is great and Will Ramos seems like a really likable person, even putting aside the crazy sounds that the guy can make. There's actually a YouTube vid that just came out where Will got a camera put down his throat. It's pretty vlog-y, so skip the first 17 minutes if you're not into that thing, but it's also pretty interesting.

Her interview with him a while back was awesome.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't know anything about the band or the "genre", but that 3 song EP is simply amazing piece of music.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
Lorna Shore is the most recent of my musical discoveries!
The YouTube algorithm decided to be awesome one day and suggested me To The Hellfire, and I just really liked what I heard. Been jamming both Immortal and the new EP quite a lot lately, and managed to snag them both on vinyl too. I'm super looking forward to their next full length :)

Also... I might be guilty of becoming a Will fanboy! That dude has some serious vocal chops, and on top of that he just seems like a really down to earth and likeable human being. I've also really enjoyed his encounters with Elizabeth Zharoff (The Charismatic Voice).