Anyone here own a Bogner Ecstasy?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DiezelMonster, May 19, 2017.

1. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Complainasaurus Rex

Heyo

I'm on the forever hunt to satiate my lust for amps.

I've never owned a Bogner Ecstasy but have owned a Rev2 Uberschall and loved it for what it was.

I'm now curious about the Ecstasy. I'll try to find one to play before I go completely mental and buy one but I've got a rackmount Dual Rec right now and have owned many many amps :nuts: And would like something new.

Anyhow, If you have owned one, or currently own one please chime in.

Cheers.

2. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

I've had 2 of them. Cool amps. What did you want to know? They aren't anywhere near as heavy/ modern metal as the Uber. Classic rock to '80s metal are its forte.

3. DiezelMonster

This is the kind of thing I want to hear, I'm not looking for the Uberschall tone, I'd just buy another one.

I might just be looking more for an 80's tone anyhow.

4. Wizard of Ozz

It works great for that... any sort of '60s-'70s classic to hard rock. Really versatile. Not the best clean channel. Also you might consider the Uber Twin Jet. It's really different sounding than the regular Uber. More Marshall sounding, tighter, brighter and way more cutting.

5. DiezelMonster

Thanks for the info.

This clip goes totally against what you are saying though!

https://youtu.be/aHLpTEk2tz8

So at the end of the day I just need to try one! Or 10.

Thanks.

6. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I had one last year. It is a great amp and does so many great things. However, once I got it side by side with my current JP-2C, I suddenly realized that I was missing something and off it went to a friend.

7. Wizard of Ozz

Yeah... I've seen that clip before. They don't sound like that... even with a pedal. So not sure what was done with the recording... but try one yourself to be sure. His other amp clips sound a bit "doctored" to me as well. Great sounds... but far from what the actual amps sound like dry.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Yes. :shred:

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd also say that isn't exactly a true "modern metal" metal tone, more of a jacked-up modded JCM800 sound with the mids scooped way back, either in the mix or on the amp/with a rack EQ.

I've been told Steve Vai's "Die to Live" is a really good example of what an Ecstasy sounds like with a superstrat plugged into it, and as it happens I think that's an exceptional tone. The LePou model is pretty awesome too, so it's one of the few "marshall-y" amps I'd love to spend some time with.

10. DiezelMonster

I guess everyone is confused, I'm not looking for a modern metal tone.

I've had it in spades from my Herbert and Powerball to the Engl rack stuff and the countless Dual rectifiers I've had, as well as the Uber.

Thanks guys.

I've got a few lined up to try, thanks for the info.

Cheers.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh, no, we got you... Which is why we keep saying things like "it's more of a really good modded marshall sound." :lol:

This is that Vai track. Note: Vai is one odd dude. Killer tone here though.

12. Kingcrimson

Kingcrimson Electra Glide

Yoeo!

I had one about 13 years ago for about 2 years. I believe it was a Bogner Ecstasy Blue back then. Honestly I found it to be too busy by way of all the switched and what I found to be superfluous settings. I paired it up with 2 Bogner 4x12 cabs loaded with Celestion V30s at 8-Ohm each. I like the obvious difference running 2 8-Ohm parallel cabs running at a total of 4-Ohm vs. 2 16-Ohm cabs running at a total of 8-Ohm.

It was a decent amp for what it was designed for, but I found it to be not very versatile and the tone was too thin and a bit lackluster for my taste in the end.

Then in 2006 I ran into Peter Diezel at the Anaheim Cali NAMM convention. Peter had just begum release into production of his flagship (Herbert) amp back then, and Herbert is still his #1 work of art to date.

Herbert is out of all the boutique guitar amps out there that I've played and/or owned over the years, the most versatile, loaded with endless tones and the simplicity of Herbert is very deceiving. To compare a Bogner Ecstasy to a Diezel Herbert is no contest. Herbert in my opinion is king! And to this day, 11 years later I'm still finding illusive tones and settings buried in the plethora of its tone possibilities.

Ch1 fantastic perfect clean, CH2 any Marshall amp you can think of, CH3 absolute domination. And with the deep/presence and the addition of the mid cut it's amazing. Many folks mistakenly assume that the mid cut is for drop tuning or metal. It's not only for this. It accentuates CH1 and CH2 very nicely as you explore its vast couplings.

My suggestion (based on your moniker) is to give Herbert a go, and give it lots and lots of time to dial it in. You cannot sit with a Diezel Herbert for a few hours, a few days or even a few months and convince yourself that you've explored all there is to the incredible versatility of the Diezel Herbert.

Good luck.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

From that era of tone, I prefer the Soldano SLO or Hot Rod+ (lead channel of a SLO). I found the Bogner was more compressed and didn't really stand out. The Soldano nailed everything and was the loudest amp I've ever heard. It excelled at medium rock like Hendrix, EVH, AiC, but was also great for jazz, blues, and country. FWIW with an OD/boost in front it tightened up enough to play modern metal too. Kind of regret selling it, but I have a Soldano SP77 preamp, so it was basically redundant.

14. Kingcrimson

Completely agree. I meant to add, the Ecstasy both at band rehearsals and performances had a tough time cutting through the mix. It just lacked the "definition" and I never experience this issue with my Herbert.

As for the SLO, I've played a several over the years and they definitely have their own unique place. However to some degree they can be categorized as a "one-trick-pony", with all due respect. Many, many years ago I owned a older PV 5150 which is somewhat based on the Soldano SLO.

This may seem strange, but just as I recommend to new folks looking for their first electric guitar, I suggest that they briefly play it "without" any amplification and carefully listen to its natural acoustics. This way you can tentatively expect it to sound good amplified. I got this tip from Robin Trower back in '87.

Also form a guitar amplifier perspective, if it's a well designed amplifier with all knob settings at 12 o'clock (except for the master and channel main's volume) the amp should be acceptable. Then you can fidget around as you see fit to fine tune the preamp and experiment with various power tube types to meet your personal preference.

15. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

^ Well I'm a Peavey fanboy so go figure lol.

But where the Peavey is throaty but compressed, the Soldano is far more touch sensitive and just plain loud. Legit too loud... Painfully so lol.

But if OP is looking for 80's sound I would go Splawn personally. The Splawn Hot Rod is basically a modded Marshall. And it cuts through a mix as well as any amp I've ever heard. And they're surprisingly not expensive, which means you can buy another amp or a guitar too lol.

16. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Weird we got so far into this thread and no one mentioned the 20th XTC. I don't own one but it's on the list - regarding 60s-70s stuff, the 20th version seems to have a lot more going for it, seems to do at least 80s metal / 90s soundgarden type stuff. Even a guy on rig-talk posting clips of his 20th Shiva has a really great proper metal tone.

[YOUTUBEVID]U6tpuHPkaow[/YOUTUBEVID]

17. DiezelMonster

This is all good info guys, I managed to try one out at a store and will bring it home to check out with the rest of my gear and my guitars. So far so good.

I think it will unseat my Rackto for the type of tone I am looking for.

It's pretty nasty sounding stock with the in store RG7.

this one has the metal grill too! haha score :metal::hbang:

More to come

18. DiezelMonster

Thank you.

You are correct, my moniker of Diezelmonster was from a time when I owned a Herbert. I owned it for many years and it just wasn't for me. I appreciate the info though and the time you took to write it!

Cheers.

19. Kingcrimson

My pleasure, BFAM! That's what we're here for.

As for the Diezel Herbert, it's designed so illusively and at first may seem to come off simplistic, but given the proper amount of 'long' time with it, messing around with the very educated recommendations that Peter has to offer, in my opinion the Herbert covers all ground in the studio and shines on stage.

Good luck, and hopefully you've come closer to stifling your GAS addiction! :)

DiezelMonster likes this.