Anyone here into seeing Stand Up Comedians live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jordanky, Apr 4, 2013.

1. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

If not, you should! I'm one of those guys who loves stand up, I always listen to stuff like that on longer drives and laugh out loud. I laugh even more if I listen or watch with someone else, but last year I went to my first show and laughed until my face hurt the whole time! It's just a whole new experience!

So far, I've only been to a couple of shows. I caught Louis CK twice on the tour he's on now. Aziz Ansari was nearby tonight but I didn't make it. Anyone else a fan?

2. AnarchyDivine88

AnarchyDivine88 SS.org Regular

I love standup comedy! I've only been to a few live stand up shows, but I watch pretty much every televised standup special I can when they're released. Yeah, Louis CK and Aziz are awesome, I would love to see them live. But, I think Mitch Hedberg will probably always be my favorite. R.I.P. Mitch.

3. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

I saw Mitch and Dave Atel at sanford and sons in kansas city many years ago.....fucking hilarious

4. AnarchyDivine88

Wow, that must have been incredible! Dave Atel is awesome. He definitely seems like someone you'd want to party with haha.

5. mcd

mcd stuff and thangs

it was pretty amazing....Mitch almost made me legit piss myself 10 times...and the best part is the way he handled hecklers.

6. Kiwimetal101

Kiwimetal101 'Tread Lightly'

I know half of you guys have probably never heard of him, but I went and saw Allan Davies a couple of months ago, brilliant british comedian..

7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I love standup live, pretty much the best thing ever.

8. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

Never tried it before, but I am going to see bill bailey at the start of may. stoked!

9. glassmoon0fo

glassmoon0fo Some Say...

Seen Mitch at college two weeks before he died, really glad I did. I was in the front row whispering joke suggestions to him when he got held up, and after a few he said over the mic, "man this guy in the front row is haaaard core." Brix shat :lol:

Seen a few others, Ralphie May, Mike Epps, BruceBruce, and lots of up and comers. Then our local Comedy bar got shut down. RIP Funny Bone, I miss your 40 oz boners every weekend.

10. AnarchyDivine88

^ :lol: That's awesome, you're so lucky you got to see him live. Ralphie May is awesome too. I had the chance to see him live once, but I had to miss the show. :( I heard it was the funniest thing ever. Hopefully he'll come to my area again.

The last standup show I went to was Jon Oliver. He was hilarious and everything he said, both written and improvised, was remarkably witty. I loved when he improvised off things people in the audience were doing and asked people about their jobs and actually came up with funny response to every one of them. It really made the show feel more personal, like each show is unique. And since it was in Boston he had a lot of material to work with. :lol: Especially the Boston tea party lol.

11. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

I've never gotten to see any famous stand-up comedians live, but locally we have an open-mic night at a venue and I've been to a few of those and seen people do stand up comedy. As I've said before, doing stand-up is something I've wanted to do for a while now, but never thought I'd actually be good at doing. I can't even stand up properly. If I did it, they'd have to rename it as "prop-up comedy".
    >.> <.<

12. AnarchyDivine88

You should go for it! Have a bunch of your friends come to see you for support. Having them there to laugh at your jokes will make you feel more confident and make the audience like you too. Even if it doesn't go well, the worst that can happen is you have an awkward embarrassing moment that passes and then you go back to living your life. But, don't give up no matter what happens! They say everyone bombs their first time, even the greats!

13. Kiwimetal101

He is fucking brilliant, I love QI aswell

EDIT: 500th Post!! :woot:

14. thebunfather

thebunfather Custom Monkey

I'm a huge fan of stand up. Along with most of their podcasts. I've seen George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Doug Stanhope, Tony Hinchcliffe, Brian Redban and Tom Segura. Unfortunately living in the middle of nowhere means that I have to drive at least 3 hours to see anything good.

15. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I've seen Bill Bailey quite a few times, Lee Mack, Ross Noble, Russel Howard and Brendon Burns. :) If you like really dark humour then Brendon Burns is worth checking out.

16. Kiwimetal101

Bill Bailey!! I still need to see him, and Dylan Moran

17. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

I've only been able to see Ross Noble 3(?) times. I'm not sure whether anyone in the UK is familiar with him, since he's British, but he's very popular down here in Australia. I'm hoping I can see Bill Burr, Ricky Gervais, Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey and Louis CK next time they come down here. On the off chance Donald Glover makes it down here I'd love to see that too.

18. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

For those who have yet to experience it, I can tell you that stand-up comedy is about 10 times funnier when you see it live. It's an unquanitifiable thig, and I can't describe it, but seeing a video VS seeing it live is vastly different. I saw Eddie Izzaed live, and at one point everyone was laughing so hard the oxygen in the room disappeared and created a vaccuum, I'm sure. I've seen the exact same material on the DVD from that tour, and it's not even half as funny for some reason. It's fucking magical live.

GO SEE COMICS LIVE GOD DAMMIT!

19. Kiwimetal101

Dreadlocks guy right? I've seen the episodes of QI hes been on, I'd be keen to see him live

20. MFB

MFB Banned

I saw one guy live for my 21st birthday, his name was Joe Matarese and a few other local openers. It was a good time. Was supposed to see Stephen Wright back in December and I'm sure some of you guys know I'm a fairly big fan of his (rocked him as my av for several months, maybe more) but had to skip out unfortunately. Trying to see Rob Delaney when he comes through but most people I know don't really care for going out to comedy shows sadly.