Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. notabumblebee

notabumblebee Active Member

No duh.

2. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

My workout for the past weeks looked like this:
    4 days a week w/

Monday: Back + Abs
    Tuesday: Shoulder/Neck + Triceps
    Wednesday: /rest
    Thursday: Legs + Biceps
    Friday: Chest + Abs
    Saturday: /rest
    Sunday: /rest

I usually did 4-5 exercises per muscle group, exception being arms and abs which I did 2-3 exercises of. I do 3-4 sets and vary between pyramid, drop sets, supersets etc.

I took a week off and now I wanna switch it up a little and wanted to get some new ideas. My initial idea was to still go 4 days a week, but do a 3-day split looking like this:

1st week:
    Monday: Back + Chest
    Tuesday: Arms + Legs
    Thursday: Shoulder/Neck
    Friday: Back + Chest

2nd week:
    Monday: Arms + Legs
    Tuesday: Shoulder/Neck
    Thursday: Back + Chest
    Friday: Arms + Legs

etc.

I would do abs every monday and friday, no matter what exercises I did before. Also I would reduce the number of exercises to 3 per big and 2 for small muscle groups. I would do a lot of supersets e.g. bench press + pull ups, biceps curls + triceps extension etc. I wanted to work opposing muscles again, that's why I chose the 3-day workout.

What would be your idea or suggestion for me to fill those 4 days? It needs to be these four days, because I have other stuff to do on the other days.

3. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

What's the reasoning behind that workout? Back and chest are both major muscle groups so I'd separate them. Do shoulders + arms, back and legs or back + bis (or tris), chest + tris (or bis), legs + shoulders, which is a classic split. If you have 4 days a week though, I'd do a 4 day split. More energy and recovery time for each muscle group.

Your previous split doesn't really make sense... Arms and legs on the same day but chest has it's own day? I'd do something like this:
    Monday - Chest + triceps (or biceps)
    Tuesday - Legs + abs
    Wednesday - off
    Thursday - Back + abs
    Friday - Shoulders + biceps (or triceps)
    Sat/Sunday - off
    Something along those lines, anyway. And don't do this for a couple weeks, then switch up already.... Do this for 6-8 weeks at least. Reassess your progress and if you're unhappy about it, switch things up a bit. If it's working, continue until progress stops.

4. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

For the last few weeks I've been doing a 4 day workout plan:

Monday - Back, biceps, shoulders
    Tuesday - Chest, triceps, legs
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - Back, biceps, shoulders
    Friday - chest, triceps, legs
    Sat/Sun - rest

Then I would do abs two days a week on whatever days I felt impulsive. I did this for maybe 3 weeks and then switched the days around, so M/TH was tris and chest and T/F was back and bis. Although today I devoted to legs and abs and did 2 tris/chest workouts (dips and chest press) because I felt like it. I did 5 workouts for legs and I think 6 for abs. At the gym, I did an abdominal crunch machine, then when I got back to my dorm's tiny gym I did a circuit of frogs(idk what they're really called), cherry pickers, plank, then side planks. Did that circuit 3 times, then did a few sets of straight up leg lifts and crossovers. Feels good.

Any tips or suggestions if I should switch up my exercises?

5. UnderTheSign

Read my post above yours for a 4 day routine.
    Any reason for training each muscle group twic a week? If you insist on this layout, I'd start do them in this order, Back > shoulders > biceps and legs > chest > triceps. Bigger muscle groups come first.
    As for exercises... I'm a proponent of basing them around the compound movements. Start back with deadlifts and/or rows, legs with squats, chest with bench press and shoulder with military press or a similar movement. Free weights over machine unless you really want to isolate a certain muscle.

6. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

Actually there is! I wanted to try the antagonistic workout. An example and some benefits are shown here. Also I wanted to continue doing a 4 day workout. I chose to switch it up compared to the example in the link since I don't do too much for legs (don't need to) and want to save time. And I liked the idea of working the same muscle group in a week once in a while.

What's the reason you are opposed to my idea? I'm curious, that's why I was asking in the first place. I'm going to do that routine anyway. Just wanted to hear some opinions with explanations.

7. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

Lifter right here baby. I don't lift as much as I used to anymore. But I get in a good 3 days every week now. :banana:

8. UnderTheSign

Why don't you need to do too much for legs? A lot of guys say that but the majority just does so cause they want big arms and don't care about legs.

The main reason I oppose working muscles twice a week is that training them once a week allows for more intensity and longer recovery periods. I'm mostly opposed to that - the antagonistic model simply isn't my cup of tea.

9. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

I do legs simply to train my entire body and not because I want to have huge legs. I'm not competing so I don't need muscular legs. Plus I'm more of an ecto-/mesomorph guy and already have fairly big legs. In other words I don't think I'll ever be in the position that my upper body is too huge for my legs.

If I notice any deficits during that workout, because my muscle fiber hasn't fully recovered I will change it up anyways.

10. UnattendedGolfcart

I felt that training only once a week wouldn't do that much for me. I'm not big by any means, I've only been working out seriously for a couple of months now. I figured hitting a body part twice a week with plenty of recovery time between each session would work for me, seeing as I'm trying to build right now.

11. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

...but you're not allowing enough recovery time between each session because of the volume you're doing. Biceps and back AND Shoulders? Then Chest, triceps, AND legs? That's five different workouts for me that you're cramming into two days. And you're doing that twice a week.

If you don't think that's too much volume then why not do it all in one super workout that lasts 5 hours?

12. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

The only thing that really matters is that you get up off your ass and go lift some heavy ass weights. Just because someone disagrees with how you do it doesn't mean shit. Everybody has their own way or routine of getting strong or big. And we all keep learning more as we go along as well. Just do what you do and keep that form correct.

13. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I train "everything" twice a week too, but I'm also primarily doing only the "Big 4" lifts, with minimal accessory lifts (pullups, ring dips, some kettlebell and occasionally Dorian rows). My overall volume on each exercise ends up being fairly normal though ("strength day" is only 3 sets on the main lift minus warmup, then a "speed/dynamic" day at 5 sets of 10 at 50-70% of max). Doing a typical bodybuilder type of volume twice a week might be a little too much for most. If you really want to do every body part twice a week, just be mindful of your total volume over the week.

14. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

I love CT!!!!!

15. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

One More

16. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Just stubbed my big toe so hard it ripped the overgrown nail right up to about the halfway back spot. (yeah I know, trim your toenails scumbag :lol:)
    Why do we have to have so many nerve-endings under our nails?
    Seems pointless, I mean sure I want to know if someone is trying to cut my toe off, but hell :wallbash: that's just uncalled for.
    It was right when I was setting up for flat bench so it did serve to augment the coffee.

Got 17 reps with 275, but it took 3 sets to do it. (7,6,4), then I quick-dropped with no rest back to 225 and failed around 7 or 8.
    Was making sure to freeze at both the top and bottom and squeeze extra, was also stopping about 5/6 of the way up to keep max tension and stopping at about an inch above the chest.
    That was my whole workout.
    With good weather to come for a couple months I'm going to buckle down and hit it 4 nights/wk. again before the heat gets here.

Spring/Summer also means lots of push-mowing for me because I'm too cheap for a rider and have a big hilly rough yard. Helps keep the fat off though and makes it so I can eat more :lol:.

17. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

18. UnattendedGolfcart

I actually think I am going to try a new workout for a while and see how it goes. I do think I've been doing too much per day. My new workout might look something like this:

Monday: Chest, triceps
    Tuesday: Back, biceps
    Wednesday: Legs, abs
    Thursday: Shoulders, traps
    Friday: Abs
    Sat/Sun: Rest

That way I can target just one or two spots each day and do more, and have more ample recovery periods. I'm going to try to hit abs two days a week simply because I really want my abs to come in ;) Any tips or suggestions?

19. UnderTheSign

Getting off your ass is the basic requirement yeah... But that doesn't mean all training styles produce equal results.

20. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Anyone here do powerlifting?
    Gotten into it recently after a trainer at my gym expressed interest in me, saying I have good lifts for my size. I am only 160lbs currently but took part in a small meet at my gym this weekend after 2 weeks of practice (my first experience with 1 repping). PBs are 92.5kg bench, 140kg squat and 160kg deadlift - so 136.5lbs shy of the 1000lb mark. Going to be training with him intensely over the next few months and am hoping to compete in the local region for under 74kgs - hoping to have the 1000lb by then, which I think will be quite attainable given I've little experience tweaking form and identifying weak areas. Hoping for some fast gains in the coming weeks!