Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

^

Yup, I've been thinking about switching back to before work too. It also helps me to stay on track with my macros better if I feel like I'm in "recovery mode" all day. Plus I can come home and just relax, play with my dog, play some guitar and go to sleep.

EDIT:
    I guess I'll do a training update too.

Starting cycle 3 of Wendler 5-3-1 today. I've already added ~15 lbs to my OHP, ~50 lbs to my deadlift (think I started with too low a 1RM though), ~5 lbs on bench ( :(), and ~15 lbs on squat. Going to swap the "Boring But Big" days so that I can get in all the lifts twice a week. For example, today was the "main" OHP day (65% x 5, 75% x 5, 85% x 5+). I followed that with the "Boring But Big" for bench (50% x 10 for 5 sets). Tomorrow will be "main" deadlift, with the "Boring But Big" for squat. Thursday and Friday will be the opposite of Monday/Tuesday.

For anyone interested, the link below is probably the best free write-up on Wendler 5-3-1 (I should probably stop being cheap and just buy the e-book already :lol:).

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength

Also for anyone interested; I found a really nice Excel sheet that will calculate everything for you for up to 13 4-week cycles (you can add as many as you want if you know basic Excel). PM me and I can email it to you.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

In hoping to get back in soon, but I'll probably be in before work as well, sucks doing split shifts though, generally not enough time in between and too tired after.

Edit: Just cancelled my gym membership (That is near home) and signed up for the gym right near work :D

3. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Atta boy Fiction!

I'm finally weighing in at 175-177lbs, depending on what time of day I weigh in at. Two months ago, it was 168-172lbs. Adding more meat and veggies and taking out most of the carbs has been a great success. Can't wait to start drinking protein again. I got some C4 because I felt myself getting lazy, and I'm going to order a bucket of creatine when I order the protein too. This ............ is going to weight more than 180 by the end of April :flex:. Getting some new running shoes when my tax return comes in so I can start sprints as soon as it gets above freezing haha. Man I love working out :wub:

4. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Was doing more weight than I typically do on almost everything tonight:

Bench: 165 lbs. for 6 reps
    Rows: 105 lbs. 3x10
    Dips: 3x10
    Barbell curls: 50 lbs. 3x10, 60 lbs. for 10 reps
    Dumbell curls: 40 lbs. 3x10
    Tricep Pulldowns: 35 lbs. 3x10
    Pushups: 2x15

Feeling good. :flex:

5. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

Could you guys share your experience with me regarding creatine? I'm going to try it starting next week, but I'm still not sure how I want to take it. My roommate takes it daily, always at the same time (even when he is not going to the gym) and an hour before his workout. He uses creatine hcl and about 2 grams of it.

I wanted to do it this way: Creatine - The Video That Explains it All
    Short resumé: He takes it twice on workout days, right before and right after the workout. He says to take approx. 3 grams each time of creatine monohydrate (which I bought, but he also talks about creatine hcl).
    However I'm not sure what he does on his resting days.
    Also I'm not sure how long I should take it. Always? Just for a couple of weeks?

TL;DR Basically I have three questions:
    1. When do you guys take your creatine? (At what time, rest days etc.)
    2. For how long do you take it?
    3. What was the effect on your body (differentiating between creatine hcl and monohydrate, if possible)? Did you have stomach problems? Did you have huge muscle gains? Was it worth it in the end? What happened when you stopped?

6. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

Take it once a day every day for as long as you want. I didn't really see much effect with it except some extra energy at the end of a set that allowed me an extra rep.

7. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

There are some studies that indicate your "absorption" is better if you do the 7 day loading at the beginning (essentially you take your typical serving 4 times per day for the first 7 days). After that, just take it after you workout. Like with any legal supplement, don't expect a huge, "night and day" difference. It just provides a bit of help in recovery. I do feel like it's helped me stay stronger later in the week. I used to feel a bit rundown on Friday sessions. Creatine is so cheap, you might as well try it. Unless you're buying some dumb "proprietary blend" (a la 'Dat Der Celltech), you shouldn't spend more that $50 for an entire year's worth of creatine.

8. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

I always take creatine with a fast-absorbing carbohydrate to increase absorption efficiency and speed, uptake is easier and I don't get the extreme farts I usually get when taking creatine otherwise

9. TrashJuice

TrashJuice SS.org Regular

Standard practice is to load or not load with 10g/day, then go down to 5g/day, anytime, every day. It's not going to matter if you take it right before or right after, it is about having an overall increased level of it in your body to speed up the time it takes your muscles to repair themselves.

Some stomachs are more sensitive to it than others so you might dissolve it into a larger amount of water than it calls for, or take 2.5g twice a day.

10. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I planned on doing that since I used to get up at 5 for work anyway but I live in a country where gyms don't open till 9am :nuts: Lot of short days at school nowadays though so I usually hit it around 3-4pm. Much better than previously when I wouldn't train till 8pm and have to be in bed by 10..

11. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

Ah, to be fair I lift at home so school notwithstanding I'm pretty flexible with timing.

12. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Take with carbohydrates, it takes better with an insulin spike, use the table at this web address to find how much you should take for maintenance and loading phase if you chose to do that. I take AllMax Creatine, it's 20 bucks for 1000 grams. Take for as long as you like, the only time to really cycle off of it is if you need to look extra dry.

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=61

13. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

thanks a bunch for the insights :)

14. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

AllMax is my favorite company. no proprietary blends, all the measurements listed, no shit ingredients... love that company. I use their pre-workout and swear by it

15. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

hmmmm... cant edit my other post.

but i just started doing this and it feels great. i usually took creatine post, but having some before and after feels great. not sure if im getting better gains because of it... but i definitely think i feel less watery than taking all at once

16. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

I just made a bodyspace profile, does anyone frequent that site? I had 3 people friend me right off the bat... really weird...

Also, did drop sets today with leg extensions and curls, between the combination of my C4 kicking in HARD and pushing my legs harder than they've ever gone, I ended up laying on the floor of the gym for 5 minutes trying to not cramp up, pass out, and/or puke. Sucked shit. Hopefully I can walk tomorrow :lol:

17. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Those would be bad crampers with dropsets . Just doing straight-sets (very straight sets :lol:) normal always would give me cramps while driving home from the gym.
    I really miss those machines lifting at home.

18. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I have one, but I'm never on it much.

I've been doing that when I take Jack3d lately. I just get tunnel vision and blow through my reps. Then on the drive home I want to pull over and die. :lol:

19. nangillala

nangillala SS.org Regular

:lol:
    That's probably the reason why it is illegal in Germany now ;)

One question for you guys: I'm currently on a slow carb diet (i.e.: no white carbs, beans, etc. are ok) with one refeed day a week.

I want to start my training routine again but I'm more interested in weight loss with some basic training (stronglifts 5x5) than in muscle gains. I read up on different supplements and nearly all the studies I read propagated a mixture of Protein and Carbs (and Creatine) for strength gains, but also weight loss.
    Now I'm not sure if it's smart to take Malto or something similar in a PWS while on such a diet.

What do you think? Any studies that I wasn't able to find?

Cheers

20. Anton

Anton Death Squad

Man studies are bullshit, don't get caught up in them. You can read 500 of them and still look and feel like shit.
    Start training and build yourself a meal plan that works FOR YOU. Obviously eat healthy, listen to your body and do proper training.

Benched 350 today for 10 reps, feeling good like a mofo.