Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

Aye, aye, capt'n!

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Switched from a 3 day to a 5 day split last month. Really enjoying it. Added a couple of exercises to each body part and I'm feeling the burn and gaining strength like never before :hbang:
    My previous split was:
    Chest+Bis
    Quads+Calves+Shoulders
    Back+Hams+Tris

Now I'm doing:
    Chest
    Quads+Calves
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Back+Hams

Love it. Split looks perfect to me in terms of recovery times etc - the only thing being hitting biceps before they get a bit of use on back day but something like that is unavoidable.

Working with a friend to hit 120kg for reps on squats by Christmas. We are currently at 90kg. My best was 110kg for 4 of 6 almost 2 years ago before I lost a few stone. Hit 130kg deadlift for 3 of 6 the other day which is a best for me.

I'm keeping the food down and am going to increase it only when I've been stuck at the same weight+strength for a good while. Gaining nice and slow and staying lean this way (well, lean enough. I'm one of those people that can't really drop below 12-14% body fat without a LOT of effort.

3. asfeir

asfeir SS.org Regular

I tried it once, It helped me crosse a plateau. I was stuck with 70kgs on the bench press and it took me to 90kgs. When I stopped taking it It dropped to something like 80-84 depending on form. I'm not sure thought if that's what happens to everyone.

4. BrainArt

BrainArt Deftones Guru.

Started going to the gym about two weeks ago (this week will be my 3rd full week) with my brother-in-law.

We've got a 3-day split:

Day 1: Legs and shoulders

Day 2: Chest, Tris and core

Day 3: Back and Bis

Each day we'll try to throw in some cardio as well.

It feels good, man.

My goal is to go from 222lbs to 190lbs and 14-15% body fat. Good weight for my height, width and bone structure.

5. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Hi guys, total noob here :wavey:
    I'm looking for some advice about home-training, since right now I don't have the time to hit regulary a gym, so I have to train on my own with only a bench and two dumbbells.
    So, I am 6.4 '' tall and weighing 154 lbs, so yeah I'm a really skinny guy even if I think I eat quite a lot.
    Let me know guys, what excercises should I do and what/how much should I eat?

6. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

You might wanna read the stickies in this forum, that'll teach you how to eat. For someone your size, I'd just say eat a LOT. Nutritional intake is different for everyone.
    As for a routine, if you're a total newbie I'd just keep it simple. Bench press, overhead press, rows, deadlifts, squats and lunges are all doable with DBs. Throw in some curls and tricep extensions if you feel like it. How many days would you dedicate to working out?

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Having amazing progress recently after losing almost all my progress. I've changed the way in which I progress my weights.

Usually I will do an exercise on a weight at which I can get 4 sets of 4-6 or 6-8 reps depending on the exercise. Seems perfect. When I get all sets for 6, I'd put it up. As long as I didn't get less than 4, I wouldn't put it down. Seems like a good plan.

Decided to join a friend in a goal to reach 120kg squats by Christmas though, which meant adding 2.5kg every week. I'm finding that the pressure and motivation is causing me to increase the weight when I usually wouldn't, but I'm not dropping below my reps and form is staying solid. I've applied the same goals to other exercises. Basically I'm pushing harder than I knew possible before, and it's awesome :hbang:

8. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

Well I'm not a total newbie since I used to go to gym a year ago, so I know how to do some exercises.
    Anyway, I'm planning to train 4 times a week

9. FollowTheSigns

FollowTheSigns SS.org Regular

Just found this thread, kind of depressing seeing gym related topics since I haven't been able to go for 2 months due to a shoulder injury! Almost recovered just need to keep doing some physical therapy, can't wait to go back it feels like YEARS have gone by! :(

10. Mike

Mike The Traveler

Figured this might help some guys looking to add strength and mass. I myself have been into heavy lifting since about 2005 and have tried every legal supplement and eating regimen out there. Some things work, some things don't and everyone is different. I focus primarily on strength because honestly what are muscles for?

This lifting ideology has greatly helped me increase my strength.
    From Russia With Strength And Power | Mahler's Aggressive Strength

Most will probably have to adjust the numbers to around what you already lift.

For me, the key to progress is to always push yourself harder than you did yesterday, never make excuses, and stay focused on where you want to be.

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

The girl posted a little back just uploaded this

She can slap me around like that anytime.

12. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

In thas case, maybe follow a routine like 5/3/1 if you want to get stronger, or a 4-day split based on chest/biceps - shoulders/triceps - back - legs?

13. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

posted because its necessary

14. Tiger

Tiger SS.org Regular

In a great place where I dont obsess over training these days.

15. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Hit my November squat goal of 300 pounds today! So pumped! i got the biggest shit eating grin on my face hahahaha

16. Aevolve

Aevolve Yugen.

Finally broke 170lbs at 5'10, gaining steadily. Also finally hit 2 plate on bench.

It's an awesome feeling even though I know it's still babyweight.

17. infernalservice

infernalservice SS.org Regular

I bought my first cage over the summer and mainly do high intensity dead lifts, squats, and benches. I like doing push ups and lots of body weight exercises too when I am away from home.

18. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Isn't it great to be able to lift all-out without a spotter or the worries of not having one.
    I actually miss going to the gym for some reasons (cables, machines, mirrors, friendly competition, ect..), but I sure as hell don't miss trying to do the main lifts at the gym and/or without a competent spotter :lol:.

19. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I've got my own power rack at my apartment. Don't miss going to the gym one bit. I can do my workout as quickly (or slowly) as I want. I can even curl in the squat rack!!! *gasp*

20. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

We can and we do :lol:. :yesway:

The only thing sucking for me with my arrangement now is that I need to make room so that my rack can be slid out of the way for doing cleans on the rubber mats.
    I could do cleans inside the rack, but I hate it like that. I must be cluster-phobic.