Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by niffnoff, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Wingchunwarrior

Wingchunwarrior OVER THE LINE!

That's a myth.....bro, The hormonal spike from doing squats is actually miniscule and short-lived and won't effect your upper body, sleeping and many many other things will produce a hormonal response.However, squats do require many stabilizing muscles in your back so in a way they can help.

2. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

Gonna try deadlifting 500 today, i'll upload the video of the attempt. The set for this week is 5-3-1, so i'm gonna do, 385, 420, 500. :)

3. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Hm, I'll check it out on leg day this week. Might have to look into form as well then, or would it be simply a matter of *thinking* it's a lot of weight and a mental barrier?

Re platform, makes sense as when squatting you count the bar weight as well... No idea what the platform weighs, machine is 260kg according to the website but that's no help...

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I'm not sure about bothering to count the platform. My weight has always seemed to remain the pretty much the same between several horizontal machines, and even a full on vertical leg press with a huge platform.

Maybe a mental barrier yes. I'm not big by any means but I squat 100kg for 6 reps and press 180kg for 8 reps afterwards for comparison - I started pressing at 120kg when I was tiny. Guess I just found 'the feeling' on that exercise from the start.

I actually had an incident the other week where I went up to the leg press, loaded up 180kg (I don't bother warming up as I've already squatted). I couldn't budge it. Had my friend push the first rep, wouldn't move. Lowered to 170. Nothing. 150..Nothing.

Got up and asked a staff member if it was broken. We lowered the weight to 50kg and it moved. I put it back to 180kg and sat, pushed up the first rep. It's always very hard to get the first rep up but it's fine after that. I just realised at that point that I'd been pushing nowhere near hard enough even though I felt like I was. I guess that's what happens to a lot of people and is why they go light. Either the machine was actually stuck for a while (doubtful), or I was pushing so little that even my friend couldn't help get it up!

I'd say if you're squatting 90 put it straight to 150 and see if you can push it out. Just make sure to keep form and not bring your ass up on that first rep. I'm guessing you'll get it up and find you can rep it just fine.

5. UnderTheSign

Good ones.

Keeping my ass down took me a while to get right but I've gotten used to that now.

6. the hittmann

the hittmann SS.org Regular

A hormonal spike maybe a myth, but working legs to build a bigger upper body isn't. Your body will only let you get so disproportionate before it stops growth. Thats why you have to work legs. Plus legs will add strength to your upper body power and its essential for a complete physique.

7. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look a little unproportional. Maybe they're just not going low enough on the leg press?

#logic

8. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

^Imagine how big they'd be if they'd all have worked out "properly". :lol:

9. highlordmugfug

Alternative comment:

If you think they're disproportionate, you should see their third legs. :coffee:

10. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Those guys are amazing. Most of us truely pale/fail in comparison.

11. highlordmugfug

I'm both pale and fail.

12. UnderTheSign

Speaking bout handicaps, anyone seen this?

13. the hittmann

Ever heard of steroids? Its what makes bodybuilding what it is and allows you to overcome your bodies natural limits, and increase growth in a fraction of the time it would take you to do it naturally or do at all. I give those guys huge props, but they couldn't get that big on their own without a little help from some substances. But i forgot I'm talking to a professional bodybuilder who has trained with some of the greats!!!!!:bowdown:

14. Infamous Impact

Infamous Impact SS.org Regular

There are tons of athletes who have disproportionate bodies from training their sport.

15. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

Friggin love wheelchair bodybuilders, all of them inspire me.

16. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

Yes I have. Have you? Because it's rather apparent that you don't know anything about them. Tell me which of these athletes are on A.S. and which are natural:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You let me know when you've got it figured out. Feel free to post your pictures when you get around to it. :rolleyes:

Infamous- you're right. Arm Wrestlers and female gymnasts come to mind.

17. the hittmann

Wow look at that leg development on all of them, so your point is invalid. They all compete naturally, but that doesn't mean a damn thing. You can juice all day and if you know what you are doing use right compounding.ds, you can pass a test. If you think natural competitors are all substance free, I really have nothing to say other than read up. You mean post pics of my physique?

18. the hittmann

I wasn't saying you couldn't be disproportionate, I was saying in bodybuilding there is a limit at which your body won't allow growth without a foundation(legs) unless you use aas.

19. Greatoliver

Greatoliver Looking to windward

Is that not what natural means..? If someone says they are natural, I thought it meant that they didn't take steroids/growth hormones :scratch:

Not sure about that. If you just trained your upper body, you wouldn't get any leg growth, as there isn't any stimulation there (you would from just lifting up weights to bench etc., but not a lot)

20. the hittmann

That is what its supposed to mean, but through the years it's become a joke because most these so called "natural" competitors are indeed using, not to the degree of ifbb pros. They compete at that level because they don't have to get as big and competition isn't as fierce. And I was saying not training legs will not let you reach your full potential and can even inhibit upper body growth. Plus who wants a barrel chest and 20in arms supported by chicken legs?