Anyone have any experience with Tokai Guitars?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by demorior, Apr 7, 2015.

1. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

Looking into buying a Les Paul clone in the 750-1000 range
    and was wondering if anyone's had experience with Tokai and what their thoughts on them were?

2. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

The japanese made LP are great and worth the money.
    Stay far away from the cheaper Chinese stuff, might as well make a cardboard guitar. Be careful about ebay sellers, hyping the low end stuff as if it was the real deal.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

This.

There's tons of crappy, recent (and even somewhat older) Tokai stuff that's absolute garbage.

Honestly, I'd just stick to some of the other brands (Greco, Burny, Orville, etc.) as Tokai's, the good ones at least, tend to go for more and the quality isn't any better.

4. mindstealer

mindstealer SS.org Regular

I may be in the minority here, but I absolutely love Tokai guitars, at least the MIJ stuff. As has already been said, stay away from Chinese, Korean, Indonesian garbage. The older MIJ stuff, especially the stuff made at the Matsumoku plant is absolutely great and exceeds the quality of most Gibsons I have ever played.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Certainly not in the minority, here or elsewhere the good, MIJ Tokai stuff is great. So great in fact it's reputation has lead to the prices on good, old pieces being more than other brands, many of them made at the same plant.

6. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

I've got a MIJ Tokai from roughly 2000, it's a PRS-style model which they've made a few of over the years. This is probably one of the best of those various models. It's a really, really nice guitar and it didn't cost me very much at all.

[​IMG]

7. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

thanks guys. yeah i tend to stay away from china/southeast asian produced stuff so i'd definitely be looking into MIJ.

8. mr coffee

mr coffee SS.org Regular

My Dad bought a Tokai acoustic in '71, he played that guitar throughout my childhood and I now own it. It's no Martin, but it's a good guitar with great tone and it impresses everybody who hears it without fail. I've never owned any other Tokai but I've had my hands on a few, and they all seemed like well made guitars.

-m

9. tian

tian SS.org Regular

I have a 1982 Tokai LS-100 OR that I absolutely love and you'll find plenty of others that rave about the LP copies Tokai put out in the late 70s and early 80s but some in this thread have said the prices tend to be a little crazy. I only picked up mine because it has a mahogany top instead of the more coveted maple tops, it had a repaired broken headstock and the neck had been shaved done a bit.

All those things brought price down from the stratosphere and put a really excellent guitar within reach but don't be surprised if you go looking for the best Tokai has to offer and see prices that are similar if not more than what Gibson LPs would command.

10. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

I've had a couple of newer (2000s) MIJ Tokai LP's - really great quality and the ones I got had the 50's neck profile = FAT. Solid necks, Gotoh HW and the stock PU's are "ok" (I think they're made by hosco/gotoh also?). One thing was that they we're both really heavy weight-wise, which might have resulted in that I never really bonded with them, and put them back in the market.

But in the end that doesn't really mean anything as I've concluded that I'm a strat guy first and foremost. ;)

11. max3000

max3000 SS.org Regular

I had an MIJ LP a while ago. It was amazing and I'm a complete dumbass for selling it.

12. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

I have similar experiences with them. Two 85's - a Standard and a special run Custom Tokais, both of which were very very nice guitars for the money. Especially the Custom was a truly great instrument - everything was great about it, really. Perfect fit and finish, ebony fretboard and a raw (oiled) mahogany neck (it was BIG). At the moment it went head to head against my '89 Gibson LPC, and I decided to keep the Gibson because people pay a lot for them for some reason. It wasn't any better a guitar and I sold it later as well. Haven't missed Gibson, but Tokai - sometimes :p

13. fogcutter

fogcutter SS.org Regular

+1 on the Tokai Japanese LP copies. The consistency can be spotty but I've played a few really good ones, considering the price point. Great choice for a guitar you want to mod out.

14. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

there are a few korean tokais floating around that have a lot of similarities to Dillion and Agile. maybe made in the same factory. decent guitars from personal experience. not the best though. they look pretty too

15. FRETPICK

FRETPICK Banned

I had a teacher that use to lead the class with a Tokai Strat (green) and he swore that he felt is was better than a Fender.:scratch:

Tokai Strat Sea Foam Green.

16. ryanougrad

ryanougrad SS.org Regular

I had a Tokai Ls150. Best LP outside of an R9 I've ever owned.