Anyone got any Mind Blowing Questions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by joelozzy, Jul 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

there are two ideas of how the universe will end, based on whether the universe is slowing down or speeding up. if it´s slowing down, then it´ll come to a halt eventually, and reverse as you say, ending up with everything being smashed to fuck in the end. if it´s speeding up, then it´ll end up pulling everything so far apart that everything cools down and freezes, and light doesn´t reach us anymore, and everything is just a desolate expanding vastness of cold emptyness.

they´ve been studying this closely, and have found out that the universe is speeding up, and so the "big chill" is how it will end. even though it´s not really an end, it´s just the death of it´s contents in a way.

hahah, of course not :p

for starters, we´re fucked without the sun. there are many other things factored in as well that will fuck us over on the way to that point in time.

i´m no hippie, dude :lol:

2. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

What tuning does ______ use?

3. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedom™ Contributor

There's really not much else to it. That statement is just not very well supported.

Jeff

4. Antimatter

Antimatter SS.org Regular

How much would could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

5. jaretthale78

jaretthale78 7 stringed playa

could you live off your own shit? like eat somthing, shit it out, eat it, and repeat

6. Razorgrin

Razorgrin SS.org Regular

Not for very long. By definition, shit is waste, so your body has already gotten most of the nutrients out of it. After two or three cycles, there'll be nothing left in it worth absorbing.

7. jaretthale78

jaretthale78 7 stringed playa

:scream: MY PLAN IS RUINED!!!

8. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

no.

Could Professor Henry Walton Jones, Sr. take on Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez and win?

9. Razorgrin

Razorgrin SS.org Regular

You're welcome to try. Just...don't post pics.

10. Antimatter

Sure, if you like various forms of hepatitis and E coli infection:ugh:

11. JBroll

... am I missing something about hepatitis, or do you need to have it already in order for your excretions to spread it?

Jeff

12. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

I was not saying that space would not be big enough for them, I'm simply saying that it isn't unlikely if there were multiple big bangs creating multiple universes like ours in space, then there is a chance that two of those universes could be close enough in that one day with enough expansion they could overlap one another, like two ever-expanding puddles. I don't see there being much more to it than that?

And also, while I don't myself believe space is infinite, you seem to have a pretty definitive answer which intrigues me, it being such a highly debated topic and all. What do you believe space is if not infinite? I believe it is a loop, or something similar in that matter sort of comes around upon itself, like Mario in the old Mario Bros. games, when he'd run through one side of the screen and appear on the other.

13. JBroll

First... you're still essentially assuming a bigger super-universe and the initial conditions for another Big Bang and... well, honestly, it just doesn't make much sense.

As far as space being infinite... I don't have a definitive answer, and was saying (as you are) that it's still not quite settled. Also, what you're describing is what I'd imagine to be the case, but that isn't exactly what is meant by 'infinite' (which would refer to a universe not bounded and finite like a circle but unbounded like a line) - I'm under the impression that this is the position best supported by experiment (although I have to admit to believing it just because the math gets prettier).

Jeff

14. vampiregenocide

Its not a crazy idea. It doesn't make sense to think that all matter as we know it came from one point in what is a very large, if not infinite space. Its like when people used to think the earth was the centre of everything, it just seems highly improbable. If just one big bag occurred, then we have to assume that outside of our universe there is literally nothing, unless you think that universes or matter in generally can created by processes other tha big bangs, in which case that questions the origin of our own planet and this entire debate.

Ah right fair enough man, I though you had a different idea on how space is set out. Its probably best you didn't, because my head might explode. :lol: Also you did mention the universe not being finite/infinite etc, but we're talking about space as a whole, not just the universe. Like our solar system, this universe could be part of something much bigger in a part of space as a whole (leading back to our ideas about how those individual universes are made). Though your descriptions on how space is shaped is what I agree with, I don't know if I made that appear otherwise but you nailed that bit.

15. tekkadon d

tekkadon d LAWOL

i dont mean to side track but i got a question.
    how does junk work? like in our body, what makes us move. ive asked people before and its always like chemical reactions and junk, well i know that but what causes them and the ones before that etc. know what i mean?

16. JBroll

So there's space outside the universe...? Now you're just flatly contradicting the definition of a universe, so I have no idea where you're trying to go.

Jeff

17. Antimatter

Well actually you move because of electrical impulses sent from your brain to your muscles, which causes them to contract.

18. vampiregenocide

Well yeah theres space outside the universe, the universe is everything that exists, and since space is a vaccum, and therefore doesn't technically 'exist' it is not part of the universe in the same sense the ocean has coral reefs in it, but isn't actually coral reef itself simply the area that the reef exists in. Space stretches beyond our know universe, which is the point I'm getting at. Obviously our definition for universe would have to be looked at if we found other such 'universes' like ours believed to have been created by an event like the big bang. They would both be technically the universe, though created separately and expanding of their own accord. I think they are calling them collectively the multiverse, if they even exist, it being theory n all. If that makes sense?

19. tekkadon d

tekkadon d LAWOL

but what causes the impulses?

20. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

It sounds like chaotic inflation theory, or bubble universe theory, like I mentioned. And as far as we know there is no such thing as true vacuum, as in 0 matter and 0 energy, there'll always be the higgs field.