Anyone else play a seven with a mahogany body?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Mind Riot, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

Before I got my Schecter 007 Blackjack with an all mahogany body, I did a lot of reading on the potential this wood had for muddiness in a seven. Particularly on jemsite.com, there was a lot of skepticism about it. Most seemed to feel that it would not be suitable for a seven string guitar due to it's overall personality. However, as I read, I noticed that everyone who said that mahogany wouldn't work in a seven had never tried it, and everyone who actually HAD tried it was singing it's praises. Hmmmmm...

I can honestly say that there is no problem with my Schecter with an all mahogany body. Granted, there are a few factors which aid in the clarity department, such as the extended 26 1/2" scale and the pickups (Duncan JB in the bridge, pretty bright). But even so, I see no problem with using this wood in a seven string. It is rich and full, but not muddy.

I know I'm not the only one who has been concerned about this issue, so I'm starting this thread to shout it from the rooftops. MAHOGANY WORKS GREAT IN A SEVEN STRING!!! Just make sure you have the right pickups, and maybe an extended scale, but I really don't think the scale is necessary.

Anyone else use a solid mahogany seven? Like it? Hate it? Mahogany with a maple cap doesn't count, sorry. They may be gorgeous and sound great, but the maple cap brightens things up and that therefore disqualifies it from this discussion.

2. Vince

Vince Contributor

It's bullshit. Mahogany bodies are fantastic. I used to have an Ibanez prestige RG with a mahogany body and flame-maple top. Itwas a great sounding guitar!

3. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I do.

I think one of the reasons the JB works so well is because Seymour Duncan designed it for Jeff Beck when he was still playing Les Pauls. It just seems to be voiced perfectly for mahogany.

4. Vince

Vince Contributor

darren you rock buddy! I have a JB in one of my 7s too, and one of my 6s as well.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

See, I was one of the guys who started the "mahogany bodied seven strings don't really handle the low B well" thing over at jemsite, after buying a 2027, which has a mahogany body. ;)

I still think it's not an ideal tonewood for seven+ string guitars, but with the right pickups (for example, the Evo7 that replaced the Tone Zone I bought it with helped a lot, and I've heard amazing things about fairly scooped pickups (such as the Lundgren Model M) in Mahogany) it can be made to work. And if I had the budget I wouldn't mind having an extra mahogany seven kicking around...but for me, it's not the ideal tonewood. Basswood's a little closer, but I'm lusting for an alder 7- the added snap coupled with decent "depth" should sound absolutely feral on that low B. ;)

-D

6. Weirdbeard

Weirdbeard SS.org Regular

Total bullshit. I guess it depends on what you consider to be a good tone, but I have 5 seven string guitars and the 3 best sounding IMO are mahogany bodied.

7. Hyper-Rob

Hyper-Rob SS.org Regular

Both my schecter 7's are mahogany bodied. I can't wait to get my hands on one of the black jack 7's!! That thing must be great. Where'd you pick it up?

8. Mind Riot

I got it through a contact of a contact sort of deal, a guy who has access to the factory. He buys a few guitars from them at cost then sells them to people he knows for a small profit. It was a one time deal, he said mine was the only one they had; the 007 Blackjack hasn't been distributed in the US yet. So it's entirely probable that I have the only one in the country, at least right now.

And it is great. I wrote a review of some A/Bing I did with it and my old Ibanez RG7421 a little ways down the page on this forum. The extended scale (26 1/2") is just awesome, the clarity and balls are just amazing.

\m/ :scream2: \m/

9. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

as much as I love my 7620, im still kicking myself for not buying an ibanez S7 instead.

10. Mind Riot

Why, are the S7's mahogany?

11. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

yup, like all other S series.

12. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, they are.

While the blue one with the flamed top is total eye candy (I believe it's the one in WeirdBeird's icon), the Lo-TRS7 trem is kinda a bummer. I've always half-wanted to grab one and have it routed for a Lo-Pro, as it's a SERIOUSLY good looking axe, and, like I said, with the right pickups mahogany can be made to work.

It's really subjective, but once again, it's worth pointing out that very few basses are made of mahogany- they usually go for brighter tonewoods with a stronger fundamental, walnut being a good example. As you tune deeper and deeper, a strong fundamental becomes increasingly important for clear reproduction of the lower registers.

Besides, I've never really cared for Les Pauls- always had more of an affinity for strat tones, hence the fondness for brighter woods. ;)

-D

13. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

very subjective indeed, because Im sure the last thing any of us want our 7's to sound like is a bass. Boosting the lower-mids which mahogany does nicely is pretty pointless for something tuned to the register of a bass.

14. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

haha, touche' although I'd counter that if we're concerned with clearly reproducing low notes studying how one chooses tonewoods for a bass is hardly a bad idea... ;)

Kidding aside though, I have this aversion to lower mids- I'm an upper-mids guy, full but smooth treble, powerful upper mids, scooped lower mids, and clear bass, and I'm in heaven. For me, that's the secret to a good "heavy" lead tone.

-D

15. Mind Riot

I'm the exact same way, cut some lower mids, not uppers. It seems to me that mahogany reacts to pickups quite well, because I don't notice any lower mid mud and I'm pretty sensitive to it. I cut almost 10 db at 370 hz on my PODxt for my distorted patches.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

See, I'm old fashioned- I just try to fing guitar and amp setups that are weak in the low mids to begin with. ;)

Maybe a parametric EQ in line would make mahogany a lot more appealing to me, tonally. Eh, one day when I have the budget to just screw around with this stuff, maybe. ;)

-D

17. Mind Riot

It really does make a difference, now that I think of it. I started out with the POD 2.0 and ended up returning it and trading up to the PODxt. I remember trying to find some way to run a parametric EQ after the POD 2.0 and before my recorder to cut some lower mids. I was even thinking of buying a two channel EQ to do it in stereo. Then I heard about the PODxt and the firmware update which was free, and that it had a semi parametric EQ that would be added to the XT. The rest is history. ;)

18. eviltoaster

eviltoaster SS.org Regular

i'm using an esp m-307 pimped with dimarzio blaze pus (by the former owner)...it's made of mahagoni (neckthru hoho)...dry it sound very very good in my ears,but i don't like these pickups!!i think there damn muddy and weak...they are not made for this guitar...would a jb 7 make a incredible difference? (the output of the blazes are too low,too)

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

JB's are supposed to be stupidly sweet in mahogany- give it a try, you probably won't be dissapointed. ;)

-D

20. Mind Riot

Yeah, the JB-7 in my Schecter is unbelievable. I would recommend trying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.