Anyone else not like glossy guitar necks?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I have guitars with all the major neck finishes (gloss, satin, natural wood, gunstock oil etc). Have no issue or preference for any. Guitarist spend way too much time whinging about specs that don't matter.
So which one feels best to you when your hand touches it?

RadoncROCKs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have guitars with all the major neck finishes (gloss, satin, natural wood, gunstock oil etc). Have no issue or preference for any. Guitarist spend way too much time whinging about specs that don't matter.

I agree with the bolded - but - how the guitar's neck feels matters. Probably the most out of any spec that exists.

You can hand me the most expensive spec'd out beautiful guitar ever but if it doesn't feel good in my hands what is the point. People gripe about a lot of specs that matter much less.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Same here and completely agree. They do have different feels, but I wouldn't categorize any of them as good or bad. There's nothing that demands a certain neck finish to play properly.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I prefer satin finishes, the gloss neck on my PRS SE never inhibited my playing while jamming outside in peak Summer humidity so I guess I don't really care lol

Amenthea

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't mind them, but I prefer satin 1st, then as bare as possible/thin coating 2nd and then gloss. I guess it kinda depends on the thickness. I've got an old LP that has a fairly standard gloss finish but I learnt on that thing and it was fine, but I've got a roasted maple PRS SE that has a finish so thick the made in Korea text on the back looks like its floating about 3-4mm above the wood. It feels sticky to play after a few mins, not at all smooth.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve had some gloss nitro necks that were sticky, but I never knew if they were from a poor nitro formula, improperly cured nitro, or maybe they came in contact with something that softened them (e.g., insect repellent and other chemicals). I’ve never played a sticky gloss poly finish.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So which one feels best to you when your hand touches it?
They all feel good. Like I said - I have no preference.
If guitarist spent as much time practising the guitar as they do worrying about certain guitar specs; the world would have a lot more virtuosos. Instead, they play guitar for a bit, struggle with a particular lick, technique, whatever, put it down and think to themselves: "If only my guitar had stainless steel frets; I bet I'd be able to do much more accurate bends. I might post about this on the internetz forumz".

Last edited:

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
Will never buy a glossy neck, and if for some reason I buy a guitar with one, it will be sanded down immediately. Glossy necks can feel nice, but that lasts for a good whole minute before friction, grime, and sweat come into play.

mystix

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i have always liked satin or unfinished necks but I recently played a few outdoor gigs on the beach with a prs with a super glossy neck. I had to wipe the neck down in between songs. I hated it. It’s not just me being nit picky. The guitar felt like ass to play.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
They all feel good. Like I said - I have no preference.

So when I got a hot serving of french fries in front of me, I could care less if I'm dipping them in Heinz, Hunts, store brand, whatever, as long as it's ketchup, I'm good to go. But if someone put each of those ketchups in Dixie cups and lined them up and asked me to choose which one I like best, I could do it. Could you do it?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I convinced myself that I preferred satin, but I find myself less and less motivated to knock the gloss off with each new guitar.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So when I got a hot serving of french fries in front of me, I could care less if I'm dipping them in Heinz, Hunts, store brand, whatever, as long as it's ketchup, I'm good to go. But if someone put each of those ketchups in Dixie cups and lined them up and asked me to choose which one I like best, I could do it. Could you do it?
Tomato sauce is tomato sauce.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I prefer not-gloss, but not enough to mod my instruments, and it's not a hill I'd die on.

Ross82

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dont like gloss finish on a guitar at all, neither the neck or the body. I have one, sentimental guitar with a gloss neck which I play just fine but when the heat and humidity starts to rise, that neck is not pleasant to play. In fact I may even try sanding it back, it will never be sold and is basically hanging in there and should really be retired, so nothing to lose.

Satin/Oil finish for the win.

HeHasTheJizzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I prefer satin or oiled necks, but can play just fine on a gloss neck. I just bought a MJ series Jackson Soloist and it has a gloss neck. I don't have any issues playing on it, but I may end up taking it to a Luthier and have the neck sanded down eventually.

Latest posts