Anyone else not great at playing?...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by JimF, Mar 10, 2016.

1. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Everyone wants to be tighter than a digital quantizer when playing metal.

:nuts:

2. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

^Yeah I guess many people don't realize just how edited alot of music is today, its especially bad in metalcore and djent, so I can see people getting fustrated with not being able to replicate what is basicly computer sounds on a guitar.
    I guess the same things goes for drummers too.

3. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

My own quote to this topic: It´s like having S*x, you don´t have to be good to enjoy it.

4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

^"Playing guitar is just like having sex: Pick her up, plug in and make her scream" :shred:

Yeah I know its a bad joke but fun none the less :wavey:

5. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Exactly. The more you pay the more she screams.

6. mdeeRocks

mdeeRocks SS.org Regular

I am still getting better every day.
    Longest break I took was about 4 days during last 5 years or so. I feel mentally uncomfortable if I can't play guitar during the day. I mostly practice though, no noodling.

I have issue with being extremely pissed off if I can't play stuff I want (which sometimes is quite complex) - and it needs to be effortless, so only every day practice can enable that.

I have very little to no interest in gear. had 2 guitars for years until my main guitar neck started to thin out at the back, then I bought another.

7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I feel like I should be way better than I am. My drummer always insists that I'm awesome...but he's just a drummer :lol:

I dedicated almost 5 years, 5 hours a day minimum to practicing (don't practice nearly as much now, maybe 3 times a week for 2 hours). Can't sweep worth for crap. I can riff all day. I have just accepted that I will be a rhythm player for the rest of my life.

8. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

meh, focus on writing good solos. Not everyone can have flawless technique and be a great player ala Steve Morse and/or guthrie govan.

There are a whole lot more flawless players that are boring and have no personality in their playing. There's a guy on Instagram that posts a lot that comes to mind. FLAWLESS beyond flawless technique, but good lord it's uninteresting. I could probably name 10 players like that in 10 seconds

Like someone else said, have fun.

SWEEPING! The most overrated of all techniques. I bet you are awesome in a band context since you can riff all day.

This sounds like it was written by a jazz musician. That's what I love about a lot of jazz players is that it is assumed that they are good already, so it strips away all of that surface stuff and allows you to just create. Vocabulary cannot be overstated.

9. cwhitey2

I know, but I like the actual sounds sweeps make :cool:

I like to think I'm pretty decent in a band setting, people say I am...but I also feel I can do better :shred:

10. espdna

espdna SS.org Regular

i suck.

11. classicalmetal24

classicalmetal24 SS.org Regular

I'm genuinely interested in why some people can sweep and some can't, and it's probably not just the sweeping technique either, but it has been brought up a bit in this thread. I see people who say they have practiced X amount of hours every day and still can't do it, why can't they do it? is there something they are misunderstanding??

It took me 3 weeks to get my sweep picking at a solid level where it sounds good and makes sense, but then there are people who can't get it down at all? How? is it something caused by their brain that just stops them from being able to do it?

I'm not saying this to try and be a douche or condescending, I'm just legitimately curious as to the reasons why.

12. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I have way more gear than my talent is worth... That would piss a lot of people off, but a the end of the day, I worked for it and it's what makes me happy. If only my playing skills were better than my ebay skills...

13. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

... but the more you improve, the more you enjoy it ... and not only you ;)

The band name Stiff Little Fingers might be a possible explanation, but I think the keyword is "stiff" and not "little".

14. classicalmetal24

So it's a problem with the finger joints?

15. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Maybe, maybe not. The same problem exists in sports, some people are pretty stiff and e.g. this topic is one of the first trainings in martial arts, to get rid of this stiffness.

In most cases, this stiffness can be trained away. But if we compare to sports again, some people need much longer than others.

16. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

I think when people say they can't alternate pick for the life of them, it probably has more to do with their picking hand. it could be different but at least that's how it it for me. I've been playing for 15+ years and still can't alternate pick cleanly and as fast as I'd like to. people who've been playing for only a few years can probably do that better than I can. just like someone else said, there's 10 year old kids playing the serrena arpeggios

17. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

If you can't sweep picking maybe you were using the incorrect method for learning.

Not all the people are able to learn the same way. Lot of factors are involved. I know one guy who can sweep really nice with 2 1/2 fingers(injured...)

It is like learning languages. It takes more or less depending on your interest, patience, constancy and used method.

18. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Been playing for about 11 years and I've never been satisfied with my playing. When I was younger I just wanted to play fast, sweep and play lots of solos. After a few years I told myself to stop trying to play stuff that's to fast for my skills, I figured, speed will come with time. I don't have the time, nor discipline, to play scales and licks with a metronome gradually increasing in speed. But I can play much faster and cleaner now then I could then, ofcourse. Without really trying.
    Instead, I focused more on 'sounding' good, finger tone if you will. I'm glad I did. Even if I could play fast, it would be useless if I sounded like crap. So while I'm still not very fast, I can make slow solos sound pretty decent.

Besides that, I suck at writing riffs that I like (damn you Marc Holcomb), and generally never finish any good song ideas that I do have.

But I made peace with all this a long time ago, I thoroughly enjoy playing these days because I put less stress on myself while playing, and stopped caring that I wasn't so fast, and an 11 year old on youtube is.

Bear in mind, anything people (including me), put on youtube, could be a snippet of something that they nailed, but they might butcher the rest of the song. I mean they could have done a 100 takes for that one solo or riff. I tend to get annoyed after about 4 takes, and I'll pick the least bad one of those to possibly share or upload.

19. classicalmetal24

If they really did attempt it 100 times to do a youtube upload, then they're doing this whole practice thing seriously wrong.

20. cwhitey2

I have come to accept that I physically cannot sweep. Something in my fretting hand just won't allow it to happen. I can pick most styles except for hybrid picking and finger picking.

I have had guitarists quit tryouts after they realized I alternate pick 90% of my licks :fawk::cool::ugh: