Anyone else not great at playing?...

Unleash The Fury

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bad player here checking in! I'm not great by any means, from 1 to 10 I'd say I hang around 3 maybe 3 1/2 on a good day. I've never been too concerned about being able to do all the flashy stuff, mainly just playing riffs I like/trying to come up with stuff that interests me and getting those sounds outta my head. Although there are those days I get discouraged the main thing I try to remember is that I do this for fun and if I'm not I put it down.
The best days that always make me feel good as a player are when I'm at work and get a riff in my head and just wanna go home and play. Grab some beers, play, look at the time and realize 3 hours have gone by.

that's that creative ambition that some people have! I always come up with riffs in my head at work and when I do then my creative juices get flowing.

Jaek-Chi

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread has made me feel surprisingly good about myself. Great to see i'm not the only one.

When it comes to riffs there isn't much i can't play, i play a lot of tech death which is very technical, and rarely is there a song i actually can't play.

Then it comes to the solo's.... yeah that needs some work haha. I have decent feel with my lead playing, but widdly widdly faster kinda stuff im a mess, can't even remotely do it. This is put down to both my average alternate picking abilities and partially the fretting hand also.

i'd really like to get through one of the few necrophagist songs i can play INCLUDING the solo though haha.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
Is it just a hobby, if I constantly keep writing music? Like, not just riffs, but full songs with drums/synths/etc.? The fact that I'm much better at composing than playing guitar (at least I hope I am :lol: ) is probably the most frustrating thing about all this... Most of the time my finished (midi) songs will only be heard by 2-3 close friends of mine and that's it. I'll probably write 2-3 albums by the time when I'll actually be able to play and record them. IF everything goes well and my plans won't be ruined by something... This makes it hard to decide what should I focus on, and what should I expect from my music in general...

Maniacal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm crap these days, but unfortunately that is mainly due to having other jobs in order to make ends meet. Gone are the days of 8 hour practice sessions and learning the hardest pieces I could find. I blame an inordinately saturated market for music teachers and affiliated products.

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as good of a guitar player now as I was when I was in college. Back then I was taking lessons, and had jazz band and combos at least 4 days a week and practicing all the music for that on the side. Now while I'm not as good at guitar I've also taken up piano, bass, vocals, and engineering and production so I'm much more well rounded and a better songwriter by far. Perhaps a worthwhile trade off in my case.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've been realizing lately that how I feel about my skill level on any instrument seems to be tied pretty closely to how I feel in general. :lol:

Dawn of the Shred

Sweet Solos and Beautiful Melodies
Reaction score
I used to be the same way but took lessons from my buddy i jammed with. But taking lessens from Jason Richardson on bandhappy helped me HUGELY! Now i can sweep and i never thought that would happen.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great thread :yesway:

Realised long ago I will never be as good as I wish I was!! LOL! And have to say I am no where near as good as I even USED to be! But I have come to accept that you know life just gets in the way and changes, work, wife or GF, now for me I have a gorgeous 10 week old daughter so my priorites changed and that and so back in the day when I could practice for 4 to 6 hours a day they are long gone but I wouldn't change that for anything as my wife and daughter are the most important things in my life now and as much as I LOVE playing guitar thats just way it is and I love it :)

I am def in the Can't Sweep for Sh1t club! haha I have never been able to sweep. Alternate picking is dreadful as I always cheated and just legato'd EVERY! LOL!

Actually since Xmas I been trying to make an effort to have at least half hour to hour when I can and I have gone back to basics like scales, modes, finger exercises etc even brought a couple of the old REH George Lynch DVD's, found Richie Kotzens Rock Chops full video on youtube along with Paul Gilberts Intense Rock II that I used to have back in the day on VHS haha!! I am trying to relearn some things that I have gotten sh1te at or was never any good at in the first place.

No matter what your ability long as your still loving playing & learning & rocking the fcuk out of your favourite guitar when you can then life is good!!
:shred:

blacai

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I should buy a new guitar and check if my skill improves.
I'd heard it works like that.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Contributor
Reaction score
I should buy a new guitar and check if my skill improves.
I'd heard it works like that.

It for real does.
I don't know if it's just that new gear motivates me to play more or what, but I do feel like I get better when I do :lol:

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My new/first 7 stringer inspired me to get practicing again, it put the fun back into it, it felt new but familiar!

blacai

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It for real does.
I don't know if it's just that new gear motivates me to play more or what, but I do feel like I get better when I do :lol:

After hard researching I managed to calculate the following graphic

xNzJdxt.png

As you can see, it is only after 30 guitars that you may be over average.

Genocyber

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been playing on and off since '96... Consider myself meh at best... but I have fun with it though... and I have discovered recording can be heaps of fun as well... oh and i'm a guitar hero to my kids lol they can have the stockpile of nice gear when i'm done...

avinu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Checking in. I always considered myself an average "metal" player. After finally getting around to sitting down to track a full song I now realize just how sloppy my technique really is. It's honestly quite disconcerting and has been stressing me out a bunch. I'm seriously gonna have to step up my chops just to get passable takes. .... sucks.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Contributor
Reaction score
Checking in. I always considered myself an average "metal" player. After finally getting around to sitting down to track a full song I now realize just how sloppy my technique really is. It's honestly quite disconcerting and has been stressing me out a bunch. I'm seriously gonna have to step up my chops just to get passable takes. .... sucks.

The feels are real, dude.
Especially since the moment you start trying to record is a moment where you kind of feel good, you know? Like you feel ready and confident. Then you run your take, go through it, and then realize that no, you're not, and you practically have to relearn how to play guitar now because being tight and having good technique is a whole other art form in and of itself :lol:

The road never ends. At least it's a fun one, though.:hbang: