Anyone else afraid of updating plugins/software??

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rev2010, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I have to say, this is based on repeated experience. I often avoid updating software/plugins because it often leads to majorly fucking up the sound of a saved project. I usually don't update my Native Instruments Komplete library as a result. Usually I'll do a hard drive image backup first due to past bad experiences. They (NI) seem to have gotten their act together so I'm not as worried about their stuff these days. Well recently I updated my Valhalla Room and VintageVerb plugins and to my utter dismay I opened a project today to finally start working on my music again and hear something off. I find that *every* VintageVerb instance (and I use it a LOT) is set to 100% mix value. Interestingly this doesn't affect the Valhalla Room Reverb plugin. I obviously don't know the mix values of dozens of channels across several projects so this is a major setback for today. I emailed the maker, and I know he's really good with getting back and getting things fixed so I'm not too worried. It just really bothers the shit out of me that every update seems to fuck something up! Anyone else deal with this and have real concern with updating software/plugins because of this kind of thing?

Rev.

2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Me! Lol.

Rev2010 likes this.
  3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I used Windows' restore previous version on the file, worked a treat!!! Fixed the issue! Thank God.

Rev.

4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Yes

I turn updates the hell off on every piece of software whenever possible, and rage out when it's not

4 things led me to this:

1) My late grandfather calling people up in a panic saying his computer "changed" on him overnight and now he didn't know how to use it. Contrary to my dad's first intuitive "you must be confused", IT DID / HE DIDN'T / AND WE WITH THE TURNED OFF UPDATES DIDN'T EITHER.
    Involuntary interface changes? Fuck off microsoft.

2) After that, I thought back to the economic meltdown of ~2008 and how it coincided with the new Microsoft Office interface rollout. In retrospect, I think THAT'S what tripped up the global economy --- whole corporations getting their internal processes gridlocked for a couple of weeks while their offices figured out how to use the damn software from scratch.

3) Andoid, like 5 years back, rolled out a forced update that messed up external SD card privileges. Again, wtf?

4) I don't use PCs much anymore, which I guess is why half the time I boot my laptop, it's tax season...and since I'm procrastination incarnate, it's the evening that tax returns are due. AND EVERY TIME, MICROSOFT FORCES AN UPDATE. ON TAX DAY. WHILE I'M TRYING TO DO MY EFFIN TAXES. Like 3 hours before the deadline

FUCK YOU UPDATES!!!! WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK???????

PS also, I can't recall anything EVER becoming better after an update....well okay, ONCE, my galaxy tab S3 stopped rebooting itself at random quite so often
    But that's more of a bugfix patch. And the hypocrites should've just said so, then I wouldn't have been delaying that "update" for 18 months.

5. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

I just set Windows to update when the patches are ready for enterprise use not for general public. That way you get the patches later down the road once all the bugs have been worked out. If you have Windows Professional you end up having more control over updates versus the regular Home editions.

Aside from Windows 10 updates being deferred to a later date I keep all my drivers and plugins up-to-date. I just make sure to install both VST2 and VST3 versions incase one or the other has an odd bug.

My projects also back up to the cloud automatically so if something fucks up I can just close the project. revert to the old version and you're ready to rock.

If you're really paranoid about stuff crapping out get something to clone your system drive.

GunpointMetal and couverdure like this.
  6. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Now... if I was using an apple machine. I would definitely avoid updating. I've never seen software updates cripple a machine like when I had an imac.

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I've never had huge issues with software updates. OS updates occasionally have bugs, but nothing that's ever been a workflow stopper. I am kinda giggling about the 15 different plugin manufacturers emailing me in the last two weeks telling me NOT to update to the newest MacOS, though.

Flappydoodle and StevenC like this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't use much in the way of paid-for plugins or anything like that, but I always worry that a Reaper update is going to remove or change plugins that I've used and suddenly my projects won't sound properly anymore. It's pretty normal for me to go back to an old project and find out that a bunch of things I used are just missing or broken though.

I recently got pretty annoyed that an Android update removed some features from the built-in messaging/contacts app. You used to be able to associate colours with contact, and you just can't anymore. I can't think of any good reason for that feature to go away.

Rev2010 likes this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I'm not really afraid as much as annoyed. I wish apps on every platform had a unified way of updating and I could set them to update say once a month or something. It quickly becomes a chore when every app wants to update often.

But no, every software needs to have its own update system and often also its own notification system which usually also looks like crap from WinXP era.

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO it's the worst part of Windows - not having control over when things update. Really sucks when you go to work on something, PC decides it's update time... nevermind, I guess I'll work on this some other day.

Adieu and Rev2010 like this.
  11. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I feel like there's a setting you're missing that might help a little. I have my work computer set up to not update automatically. Sure, it means that I have to "hibernate" or "sleep" instead of shutting down, but i've pushed out updates for a couple of weeks until i remember to turn on my computer at home when I'm not working to reboot it.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Having to hibernate a machine is not a solution though. I've gone through a number of iterations of trying to solve this on different PCs (in particular at work because certain machines just *cant* go down at random), but I've yet to come up with a good solution. Sometimes I'll get it to work, then a new update will come out and suddenly the settings I had don't work anymore. Or sometimes it seems to ignore it. Or some machines I've not had access/permissions required to do it.

At the end of the day, this shouldn't be a thing though. You can't tell me that Microsoft doesn't understand the need to control the uptime of your PC.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Windows Professional allows complete control over whether updates are applied automatically, on a schedule, or not at all.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I know, in theory, you can do it via the group policy thing but in practice I've never been able to get it to stick. Something somewhere eventually bumps the setting back on.

Adieu likes this.
  15. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

IME:
    Reaper updates are fine.
    IOS (ipad mini) updates made it completely unusable. Thanks Apple. Bought a cheap amazon tablet to replace it.
    Android phone - update changed the way you switch between photo and video - thumbs down!
    --my g/f was purposely NOT updating her android phone -- eventually it UPDATED ITSELF while on CELL DATA and downloaded 1.5 GB. This used 1/2 her available cell data, even though it was set to WIFI ONLY. wtf!
    Mac OS - updating to Mavericks was great. Mojave was ok but slower. On my Hackintosh, I don't do OS updates.
    Windows - fuck windows updates. fuck them with a sharp stick.
    XBox 360 - I don't play much - a couple times a year - EVERY TIME I turn the thing on, there is a huge update! See Windows ^^.
    EZDrummer updates have been fine.

Adieu likes this.
  16. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Not "update" related per se but I recently bought Superior Drummer 3, have been using SD2 with Metal Foundry for years. What I'm trying to do is simply use my Metal Foundry kit that I made and simply change out the kick for a better one in SD3 and possibly change out some cymbals. What a fucking nightmare!!!! Working cross library and trying to retain already tweaked sounds is an absolute disaster IMO. Being different libraries have different mic amounts per kit piece when I load kit pieces cross-library I have to reroute a number of mics, re-enable the bleed and select what mics bleed is coming from, and redo *all* the effects for each mic channel. I tried going the opposite way - load my Metal Foundry kit and simply swap out the kick and go from there and that too isn't working as it should. I want to use a kick from the Iowa kit and have matched all the settings completely (mic channels, effects, etc) and still the kick wasn't sounding the same. Tracked it down to some ambient mic settings that weren't routed. But while messing around I created a second (left) kick and added the same instance of the kick to it. That produced some really screwed up double kick sound so I removed the left kick and now I can't get the damn thing to simply play all kick notes on the one kick - it keeps sending every other note to the no longer existent left kick for some reason, and the notes are all on the same key! Beginning to wish I didn't buy it as I've been up late fighting with it several nights now.

Rev.

17. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Updating a Mac is a big gamble. You could find an app no longer works and there's very little you can do. I'm shocked Guitar Pro 5 still works and I'm always so relived it opens again cause I had to update to use Logic or iMovie. Then find out iMovie has changed everything up and removed a few features.

Adieu likes this.
  18. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

That is brutal!!

19. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Image your drive before hand. Keep a few recent images on hand.

20. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Not sure what era this was, but from Mavericks to now I've never had this problem on a Macbook Pro or iMac. In every instance, it's made things better overall. Every inbuilt Apple app got more powerful at least, and generally they've been faster and given me better battery life. The newest Mac OS even lets you easily free up hard drive space by offloading files into iCloud, which is awesome for laptops.

Improvements to Logic have been huge, and it's even better considering they're free updates for software I bought 4+ years ago. More sound libraries, new features, interface improvements, stability improvements, new export options. I can't complain.

I've never had issues either, but it's usually advisable to wait a short time after a new version is announced. I don't see any reason to jump straight into a brand new MacOS update. Usually wait for the first patch which comes after a couple weeks. Or, as you say, until manufacturers tell you that it's ok, or not, to update.

I've literally never had this experience. What apps are you referring to?