Anyone catch Corey Taylor on his solo tour?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by RevDrucifer, Dec 2, 2011.

1. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Going to see him Sunday night at the Middle East in Boston. For $25, why not?

I dug his book, not so much his personal writing style, but the content itself was pretty good. These solo shows are acoustic performance/spoken word/Q&A, which should definitely be interesting.

Of all the stuff he's done, I think I dig him solo acoustic the most. He really is quite the vocalist...

If anyone will be there Sunday, let me know, maybe we can grab a beer or two!

2. themike

themike Chug Life

I want to but the price seemed way higher than $25 near me (NYC) - I should reinvestigate the situation because he seems to be a pretty down to earth, funny guy.

3. RevDrucifer

It was $25 plus the service fees, so two tix cost me $62 and some change.

I think he's down to earth only because he realized his ego is rather large. Probably around the same time he cut back on his drinking...

4. Uncreative123

Uncreative123 SS.org Regular

Nope, it's still there. He's a giant douche.

5. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I've never gotten a douchebag vibe from him. All of the interviews I've ever seen with him he seems to be a really humble guy. Obviously he had his big ego inflation when Slipknot hit it big time, but in all of his recent stuff, he seems really cool.

6. Uncreative123

Interviews and real life are two very different things. When I first met him years ago (around '03/'04) he seemed nice and grounded- which most of the guys are, so I've really never had a problem with him until recently. Him and his 'bestie'-the other guitar player from Stone Sour (not Josh Rand) have been saying some really fucked up shit that's gone unchecked for awhile now. Don't know how much I can get into it, but trust me he's a douche through and through in his personal life.

7. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Well it's certainly a good thing I'm not friends with him then. :shrug:

I'm not denying that he could be a real asshole, but he does have some intelligent things to say at times and I respect him in that light.

8. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Seems kinda douchey to even bother doing a solo tour. Or at least egotistical, which is to be expected from this guy.

9. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

[​IMG]

He would not approve.

10. Rayan22

Rayan22 Coat of Arms UAE

I didnt see any of them live, but ive been checking out some of the videos uploaded onto youtube, and his version of spit it out was really funny. I think he's just a good entertainer whatever the music is, he really gets you into it regardless lol.

As of him being a douche or whatever, to me he seems it. He looks like he thinks he's made of gold and whatever he has to say is fact. I respect him for being opinionated, but he seems quite concrete to me. None the less, I's still go and see him rip a crowd apart any night.

11. RevDrucifer

If you read his book, he definitely admits he's a ham and loves attention. He admits his faults and accepts them.

Truth be told, I own one Sliptknot cd, the last one they put out, (I honestly can't remember the name of it, even though I've listened to that album thousands of times...). I dig Stone Sour....more than Sliptknot. Audio Secrecy is a KILLER fucking album. (When I was in high school and Slipknot first came out, I used to laugh my ass off watching them, with the masks and rappin')

I think it's more his actual talent that I dig. I'm more stoked to hear him do cover tunes than I am to hear him do Slipknot/Stone Sour stuff.

I really don't have any particular question to ask him during the Q/A, unless I think of something stupid when the time comes.

I suppose the biggest thing is that, while reading his book, I realized there are a ridiculous amount of similarities in his life/personality/beliefs that align with mine. I read it at a time when I needed to hear something from someone who had been in similar situations and how they feel about it.

12. RevDrucifer

EXTREMELY impressed with the show tonight. Inspired and humbled at the same time.

For the nay-Sayers, *this* is the show you need to see.

There are certain things that human emotion can't deny and tonight was one of those. Corey was blown away with the Boston crowd.

The first 45-60 mins was all him talking/Q&A (For the Slipknot fans, they're touring the US in Summer 2012). He read a bit from his book, out of the Greed chapter.

The dude speaks the same way he writes. The enthusiasm and character is there behind every word. I honestly can't think of another time where a prolific artist who sells millions of albums (with 2 different bands at the same time) goes out solo and says, "Fire away!".

One highlight was when someone asked him about his appearance on NY INK when he got Paul tatted on him. He detailed the experience, but before that, told a story of how he dealt with Paul passing. Vinnie Paul told him, "You're living for 2 people now. When you have joy, he's there, when you're down, he's there. Every experience you have, he's there."

I knew Paul would be brought up and when Corey mentioned that Vinnie Paul explained this to him, I got teary eyed. 99% sure the whole room did, really.

It was probably a good hour before he even touched a guitar. You got the obvious ones, "Bother", "Through The Glass", "Hesitate"....but the Sliplnkot stuff....

Fucking incredible....he played "Snuff" which he ended wiping tears from his eyes. He told us earlier in the night that "Snuff" had been of Paul's favorite songs, when he started playing it, the entire crowd raised their hands with 2 fingers pointed up for #2 and sang louder than any song of the eve.

He did some NIN, U2, Tom Petty and Floyd. Really, he tore it up acoustically for the solos in "Comfortably Numb". The dude is *NOT* just a vocalist.

The banter between songs was great. The dude is so relaxed and able to make fun of himself, you completely forget the fact that this dude has sold millions of albums with 2 different bands.

Yeah, he knows how famous he is, (this was one of the questions asked, how he deals with being a role model/rockstar). but it's more than obvious from tonight that he can still be humbled.

He's been having the shows filmed, (one camera on the headstock of his acoustic).

"Spit It Out" (not sure if that's how Sli[knot spells it.

13. Uncreative123

Ah, reading out of his own book about greed, that's really interesting.

If I would've read this sooner I would've given you a question you could've asked him. Maybe something like "Why do you not have a problem with your stone sour (fill-in) guitarist/best friend Jason advocating the murder of Paul's wife and 'dumping her body somewhere in New Jersey'? " Yeah or, how about "If Paul was such a good friend why are you trying to screw his wife and his one-year old daughter out of royalties?" Or maybe "Why are you actively trying to divide and turn that entire family against each other?" I'd love to hear the answers to all of those- especially the first one. The guy was dumb enough to post it on facebook and I have screen-shots to prove he said that verbatim and it wasn't taken out of context.
    Absolutely disgusting and despicable that he's going out there pretending he gives a fuck at all about Paul. Fuck that guy.

14. RevDrucifer

Wow, I've got no clue what you're talking about.

Jason was there last night, he's playing guitar on a few songs.

15. LamaSabachthani

LamaSabachthani SS.org Regular

I like his music, but I don't get why everyone seems to think it's cool to talk about people crying over dead friends. or that people even really seem to care on a personal level. Sad stuff, certainly, but I don't think I have anywhere near a personal enough connection to feel emotional about his death. Call me bitter, but I just find it odd.