Anyone built a Copy carver (For re-profiling necks)

Omzig

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys

I had a few ppl ask me about altering/matching neck profile from one neck to another (this is something im also intrested in do so i can reshape my Cort FAT g290 to the NJ Schecter profile, love everything about the FAT but the neck is too THIC )

Carriage/build looks pretty simple and seems like a thing i can just hang on the wall of the shop when not in use.(im not interested in building one that can copy bodies, just necks)

So anyone built or even used such a jig? if so is it worth the time or should i just work by hand with profile gauges to match it? *ive done this before but it's a PITA....)

Ive matched the NJ profile in CAD already but i have never used the CNC to reshape a part, just to cut necks from blanks & id be worried that if the alignment was out even by 1mm it would screw the FAT neck up.....hummm

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Hey guys

I had a few ppl ask me about altering/matching neck profile from one neck to another (this is something im also intrested in do so i can reshape my Cort FAT g290 to the NJ Schecter profile, love everything about the FAT but the neck is too THIC )

Carriage/build looks pretty simple and seems like a thing i can just hang on the wall of the shop when not in use.(im not interested in building one that can copy bodies, just necks)

So anyone built or even used such a jig? if so is it worth the time or should i just work by hand with profile gauges to match it? *ive done this before but it's a PITA....)

Ive matched the NJ profile in CAD already but i have never used the CNC to reshape a part, just to cut necks from blanks & id be worried that if the alignment was out even by 1mm it would screw the FAT neck up.....hummm

Definitely worth a try to build I think. And refine a LOT on scrap before you take it to a real neck :)

Omzig

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely worth a try to build I think. And refine a LOT on scrap before you take it to a real neck :)

Rails are in the post and i'll kick up and share some plans for the mounts...Dam more jigs and tool in the shop! i don't have space for the crap that's in there atm!

going to try this one i think

Progress and result will be posted here ! good job i tend to keep a lot of scrap and failed parts around ;)

Cheers

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Rails are in the post and i'll kick up and share some plans for the mounts...Dam more jigs and tool in the shop! i don't have space for the crap that's in there atm!

going to try this one i think

Progress and result will be posted here ! good job i tend to keep a lot of scrap and failed parts around ;)

Cheers

Awesome. Can't wait to see it!

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ooooooooooo this could be dangerous for my guitar plans!!! :D
So you're telling me EVERYTHING could now have a 90s Wizard profile? lol

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That second one is such a neat & tidy setup!
My only fear about re-carving a neck, is if the manufacturing tolerances on depth of the truss rod slot are set whilst knowing the neck has an extra few mm in it, could there be risk of breaking through?
Or are you not taking much off the thickness?