Anybody use a Gotoh 510FX7 bridge?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Strtsmthng, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Strtsmthng

Strtsmthng SS.org Regular

Samark likes this.
  2. Strtsmthng

3. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I’m glad to see they’ve actually made a proper 7 bridge now thanks for posting this!

As far as Gotoh goes, don’t be worried about quality. It’s top of the line imo, and with really well thought out design that’s typical of Japanese build quality.

I haven’t owned this but I have owned the 510 trem, it’s super well designed and feels great my only gripe with it was the sound. I switched from a Wilkinson vs50 trem (also some affiliation with Gotoh I believe) and the sound of the 510 just didn’t compare. If I kept it I would have changed the saddle materials to something similar like the vs50. But Gotoh do offer a lot of different saddle materials if I recall.

aesthyrian likes this.
  4. Strtsmthng

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!
    Indeed Gotoh is known for great quality, my main concern with the 510FX7 is the comparably small intonation travel range as it seems to me?

5. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

It looks to be the same general dimensions as the Hipshot fixed bridge, and those have plenty of room for travel, so I doubt there would be any issues. It looks like the mounting screws are in a different pattern than the ones on Hipshot bridges, though.

6. Strtsmthng

Comparing again it seems you are correct about intonation travel. Mhh... One of the reasons why I am looking at that bridge is the cosmo/ruthenium finish option that is unavailable for Hipshot. On another note - it seems the Gotoh Bridge accepts 70 string gauge max?

7. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Didn't know Gotoh released a Hipshot style bridge, which is pretty cool because Gotoh has plenty more finishes to choose from.

They have rounded saddles, which is also a big plus. Depending on the guitar Hipshot sharp edges can be a pain in the a... hand.

aesthyrian likes this.
  8. sunnyd88

sunnyd88 SS.org Regular

I'd get a high quality made in Japan Gotoh bridge with rounded saddles over a made in Korea Hipshot bridge with sharp saddles and questionable marketing as most people still assume Hipshot hardware is made in America.

9. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

I saw this bridge on their website, and was instantly interested in it. I haven't compared the dimensions of this new Gotoh bridge... Does anyone know if this is a direct replacement for a specific bridge?

Cole

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor