Anybody played a Carvin h2/hf2?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by DeathCubeK, Aug 28, 2015.

1. DeathCubeK

DeathCubeK SS.org Regular

thinking of ordering one of these down the line. was wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar? how does it play? upper fret access? etc?

2. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

3. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

I own one. I have owned it since new in'02.

It is the most unique guitar I have played. My go to shapes are the rg and strat. You would think that the body would be clunky in comparison, bit it is super comfortable. I find the rounded sides feel great against my arm and keep it at the perfect playing height.

The neck is incredible. It is not too thick, but it has large shoulders, so tends to feel bigger than it is.
    It, warmoth's 59, and the wizard3 are my favorites.

Sound wise,.......is difficult to put in to words. Mine has the standard h22 pickups, which suit the guitar perfectly. Unplugged, it is very loud. It sounds midrangey but clear. The note separation is great. No doubt from the hollowed out body.

Oh yeah, the body has a very large chamber. Pretty much the only solid area is from the bridge back, and where the neck attaches. .
    The set alder neck and body combo are also very resonant. The guitar feels alive in your hands. At volume, notes give way to that nice long singing sustain we all love.
    That said, it is very much a rock type guitar. Blues to classic hard rock is where it performs the best

I toy with getting a second one actually. Tough a chambered Vader would be a great alternative.

I will answer any questions you have.
    Ask away!

4. DeathCubeK

the set neck joint looks kinda les pauly, which i always found very uncomfortable. is the comparison appropriate at all or is the h2/hf2 just way more comfortable?

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I owned an H2T for a few months. The neck was a bat to get used to, the stock 20" radius is pretty flat, the string spacing leaves fingerboard "shoulders", because Holdsworth doesn't like a high E that feels like it's going to fall off the edge.

In terms of execution, it was a nearly flawless guitar - The only flaw, which unfortunately is just one of those things that isn't likely to be caught in QC, was a burr in the locking high e tuner that would cause breaks if I used the wilkinson 2-point trem. I ended up selling it to someone in South America after I bought a Parker Fly Mojo that (to me) blew the Carvin out of the water - But the specs were so different between the two, it was simply preference.

Ever since the HH series was announced, I've been telling myself that, some day, I'll get one - But every time I try an HH at NAMM, that fat neck tells me to wait until one pops up on eBay for an irresistible price.

6. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

My hf2 is awesome. You can get the action super mega low with the 20" radius, the stock pickups sound great too. I think mine is bright because of the alder body maple neck combo. I'm willing to bet all mahogany would sweeten up things a lot.

7. DeathCubeK

what's the balance like? i don't really have a preference with neck size but if i had to choose i'd say i like a bigger neck. i much prefer the neck on my ibanez roadstar 2 to the smaller, thinner neck of my parker pm10.

8. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

The neck joint is not as clunky as a les Paul. It is pretty smooth.

9. marcwormjim

I was concerned about it being neck-heavy (due to the "hollow" body), but the balance was fine - So long as you use the top strap button and not the purely cosmetic bottom one. Then again, with all the wood combos you can order, it's almost guaranteed that some of the H2s out there are neck-heavy. Mine was Alder-Alder.

10. DeathCubeK

i will probably go with the standard wood options, but maybe replace the standard pickups with the new kiesel ones. what's it like playing with a flat radius? i know i can get a more rounded one, but i have never played anything flatter than a 16" radius. is there much difference between that and 20"?

11. gclef

gclef SS.org Regular

The 20" is not that much flatter than a 16. There is something about the Holdsworth neck as a whole ( with the jumbo frets) that just feels right.

Oh, spring for the stainless frets. They kick all sorts of ass.
    Well worth it.

12. DeathCubeK

awesome, thanks. hopefully in a few months i'll be posting my first ngd thread.

13. marcwormjim

+1 to the radius difference - The profile of the neck will feel different, while the slightly flatter fingerboard radius will not. I spent two or three years playing perfectly flat fingerboards (Vigier Shawn Lane and Steinberger with custom Moses Graphite neck); and as with any radius change (including my recent change back to 12" and 15" radii), there's just a settling-in period - You'll either gel with it, or you won't.