Anybody know a lot about cars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Unknown Doodl3.2, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

Last month, my first car, a 99' Malibu (yes, I like boats!) went down and ain't coming back up. I've been fairing well with public transport for school in the meantime but will need a new ride for the summer when I'm back to full time work.

My question is, what cars/brands should I be keen on and which ones should I avoid? I started some preliminary shopping and have a budget of 4-5k CAD which puts me in the 01'-04' range in years based on what I've seen so far. Keep in mind I don't really care about performance (though I do like a responsive acceleration), I just want something reliable that I can enjoy driving, I'd like something that can last me another 4-5 years if possible.

Sportier types are probably a no-go as well since the insurance company is for sure going to nail my 22 year old male ass =\

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Faine

Faine Playing guitar.

Well I have an 02 subaru wrx with 178,xxx miles and it still has 330HP on the original motor and still pulls like a beast. Theyre pretty good I think. Subarus hold their value/ great resale value. Its really how you take care of your car mostly. If your range is 4k-5k I would say check out some 95-02 imprezas or legacies. AWD is the shizzzz :)

I also have a 99 Lumina with 117,xxx . Almost exactly the same as your malibu and I have all sorts of transmission problems, Ball joints went out. The gas tank rusted through. check engine light is always on. runs like garbage on the highway. has a heart attack when I go up hill, never figures out what gear in wants to be in ( auto )

My subaru is 220 a month for full coverage, the lumina is like 40 or 70 I forgot. I have 1 ticket for speeding. I have progressive

Oh and Im 23.

3. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk A Bad Idea Contributor

What's wrong with your Malibu?

And, as a red-blooded, beer-drinkin', combat veteran American who's proud of his country...it's hard to beat a Honda for cheap and reliable on the used market. :lol:

What are your requirements? 4 door? fuel efficiency? front wheel drive? I'm assuming those since you said you liked your Malibu.

4. pink freud

pink freud SS.org Regular

5. Unknown Doodl3.2

220 a month? ouch dude! I got a quote if I wanted to buy my mom's 08' Cobalt LT and it was 91 a month and I thought that was a lot lol guess not.

The Malibu is still relatively clean, but there's an engine issue that would probably require more money to fix than the car is worth (paid $1000 for it two years ago...can't really complain) so I figure it's time for an upgrade.

I went to a dealer earlier today a mentally noted a few cars, one of which was an 01' impreza IIRC.

The one that I liked the most so far though was an 02' Nissan Maxima SE, full equipped, clean on the interior and exterior. Anything I should know about those? I will go back during the week to give these cars a closer look and test drive if necessary.

6. Faine

Faine Playing guitar.

I lied, actually its like 170 or something. :lol: i forgot I'm older now and they dropped my rates

7. Daiephir

Daiephir likes peanut butter

For 4k you actually get '04+ in Montreal, not '01. Also, while I agree that Honda's are pretty reliable, they're also incredibly overpriced in Canada since it's been the best selling car for the last 25 years or so (3k for a '97 nearly blown Shitvic, no thank you), personally, I drive a '03 Hyundai Accent (WITH A MOTHERFUCKING SUNROOF!) nearly 10 years old, still pulls up to 200 kph, would recommend if you're a normal person and you drive economically, I would also suggest a Mazda, either Protege (up to 220 ;) )or a 3, while not necessarely as reliable as the Honda, they'll cost less in insurance and it'll be a newer car for the same price. Other than those, WRX great choice if it wasn't driven by a teenager, same for some sort of Lancer (I'd take the Lancer over the Subby, but thats a personal choice). If you can find a Legacy GT, that'be the lolz. Also, avoid Tercels/Echos/Yaris like the plague, fucking awful torque curve and stupid, stupid auto tranny.

8. pink freud

I have a Yaris, but it's a standard transmission. My only issues with it are it could use about 20 more ft/lb torque and a sixth gear (the 1.5 liter engine whines a bit going over sixty mph). I can drive like a complete idiot and still get 35 mpg, so there's that.

9. Unknown Doodl3.2

Thanks for the info man!

Would you put the Pontiac Wave in the same boat as the Tercels/Echos and whatnot that you named? I might have a crack at an 05' automatic, really clean 120k, for my budget price.

10. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I'll probably be selling my car this summer. I'm replacing a few parts in the next few weeks, but otherwise it's been bulletproof since I got it 4 or 5 years ago. It's a '98 Honda Accord (automatic) with 228k on it. It's probably older and has more km on it than you're looking for, but it runs great and I don't have any doubts that it'll be on the road for another 4 or 5 years if it's taken care of. It just has a couple of cosmetic issues (paint). I'd also be selling it for way less than you're looking to spend. Insurance only costs me about $300 per year, too :yesway:. Hit me up if you're interested at all :wavey:

11. Tones

Tones Red paperclip trader

For 4 - 5k CAD as just a commuter car, civics are really hard to beat. You can probably score a civic with not too many miles. Really any car will last a while as long as you can keep with maintenance, especially oil changes. I'd be damned if you find any WRX's for under 5k even with high miles. If you want something with a nice kick when you hit the accelerator, look for MK4 VW GTI's. Nice zippy cars, and pretty reliable, not sure about insurance though. here's some things you should keep in mind.

- Make sure the car was regularly service and oil changes were up to date
    - Manual cars = more power & better gas mileage. easier on transmission maintenance costs
    - Turbo cars = generally higher maintenance/insurance cost, but better performance and gas mileage if driven correctly.
    - Sportier trims like the WRX's, civic si's, nissan's se-r's ect will be more on insurance (go figure)
    - Foreign cars are just typically better in every aspect compared to American.

Really it depends on what you really want. Just do a little research and check out reviews on all the cars you're interested in.

12. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

i'll second the honda, toyota, nissan. I picked up a 91 sentra for $400, runs great still, inspection, the whole nine. I don't even worry about the thing. Avoid older Dodge/Chrysler at all costs.

13. Unknown Doodl3.2

Throw in your Model T head and we can figure something out :lol:

I'll keep you mind man thanks!

14. fassaction

fassaction SS.org Regular

you really cant go wrong with a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla.

Since you have one of the cars that I would avoid like the plague, I will give you a small piece of advice based off of personal experience, and spending a few years in the car business:

Stay away from any GM car that has the 3.1 liter V6. This would be the Malibu, the Grand am (90s up until i think 1998), the SE version of the Grand Prix (pre newer body style models). This engine was a pile of fucking shit that will leave you stranded, given the chance. The cast iron block and aluminum head were notorious for causing problems, blown gaskets, and overheating. Junk motor that they kept around way too long.

15. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

The Accord and the Model T for less than the 4k you're looking to spend ;):lol:

16. Daiephir

Depends, '05 is still recent enough, but it IS an American car, and you always stay away from american cars short of high end Cadillacs, Corvettes, Vipers or GTs, so if you want to go with it, make sure it's been properly maintained, like really, really well, else it'll die on you in 2 years.

17. pink freud

This sort of statement is getting less and less relevant as time goes by.

Pontiac and Toyota had practically the same car built in the same factory for a while. Some "American" cars aren't built in the US, but rather in some other countries that have the gall to technically also be "America." :lol:

18. Randomist

Randomist SS.org Regular

And a lot of our (UK) "Japanese" cars are built 100 or so miles up the road from where I am now. Since GM bought Daewoo, a lot of Chevrolet's are pretty much re-badged Asian cars.

The most reliable cars are usually Japanese. Honda, Subaru, Toyota and Lexus being best in the last 10 years. Reliability varies by model, rather than brand, but the models from these manufacturers are all pretty safe buys.

19. Daiephir

The point was that it was a Wave, which is notoriously a bad car, and since he's buying used, still bloody relevant IMO :squint:

20. pink freud

My post was referring more to the "Stay away from high-end..."