Anybody have a job you love?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mason Bruce, May 15, 2014.

1. blastgatr

blastgatr N7 Paladin Sentinel

One of my good friends works at a Kroger gas station, and literally all he does is sit in this box that can withstand a tornado, has bulletproof glass, and is air conditioned, play WoW (because this box has f...ing Wifi), and occasionally deal with someone getting gas. I envy him.

2. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

I started off hating my college experience. I went to a very liberal and artsy high school then went to a college where probably 70-75% of the people are STEM majors. Had trouble relating to a lot of people. But I've found my way and this past year has probably been one of my most exciting.

Just started as an engineering intern at a utility company. I'm relatively new here, but it seems like a very exciting environment.

3. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

Thats pretty much my job aside from the bulletproof glass.

I don't play WoW much anymore but i'm on my computer most of the time and sometimes I make out with my girlfriend till someone pulls up.

4. Mason Bruce

Mason Bruce Active Member

Forgot to say mine, I like my job of being a tennis instructor for now, but it's not fulfilling enough to be my main goal for my life, and with kids sometimes it's like babysitting, but in my head i think, "Getting paid to play tennis! Huzzah!"

5. patata

patata 7 heaven

He won,man.

6. myampslouder

myampslouder SS.org Regular

I'm a biological wastewater treatment plant operator. I love the idea of my job and I used to actually enjoy doing my job for my current employer but in the 2 years I've been at this facility I have watched it go completely downhill since the old superintendent retired and now I am completely disgusted with it. I'm currently stuck in a miserable situation where I can't really afford the pay cut I would take if I move to another facility. I've been working in this field for about 7 years now and I currently hold a number of state certifications for this field so I make a pretty respectable wage. I don't have a college degree and I don't hold any other certifications in any other fields so changing careers and starting at the bottom is not possible because of the massive pay cut I would have to take.

7. abandonist

abandonist Banned

I'm the food and beverage director of a huge performing arts center.

Expense account, paid vacation, travel, the works.

8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I work at a record store. it's pretty fun most of the time. I feel like i'm bound to get 1 customer every 2 - 3 months that decides to be a real asshole, but thats probably a lot less than other people who work in retail have to deal with so I can't complain. It's my dream job but it's definitely not my dream pay so I'll probably have to give it up within the next couple years unless my boss decides to open another store in which case i'll be the manager.

9. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I miss being a college student. I would have one or two classes, then could go home and play guitar & video games...

I have three college degrees now and cannot seem to find a job that I like that pays what I think it should.

During summers and winter vacation, I worked at gas stations while getting through school. Sure, there were some crappy customers here and there, and a LOT of standing, but looking back, it was a breeze compared to my hospital job now.

That being said, I am very close to quitting my hospital job and going back to working in a gas station, even though I do have multiple university degrees. (Never get a job in in a hospital pathology department!)

I seriously woke up today coming out of a dream where I walked out of my job.

Clicking on this thread, I didn't expect to see people praising gas station work. I am even more envious of my girlfriend though. She works at a county park and literally can sit in the nature center watching National Geographic videos as long as she can watch the phones, answer a few park visitor questions, and occasionally ring up a gift shop item. Her job is literally a walk in the park some days.

10. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

I'm a network engineer - I really love my job, but mostly because of the awesome environment and team I work with.

The guitar thing is also pretty sweet.

11. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

I'm a professional land surveyor (that's why my "name" is what it is - the other part is in reference to Steve Vai). Mostly I love it. I've been doing this for 20 years now. I love that I'm not stuck in an office all the time and I'm not outdoors all the time - I can pick and choose (somewhat) when I want to be out and when I want to be inside.

It's amazing walking out in nature and being by yourself out in the woods and seeing animals roaming around in their natural habitat. It's great to be out breathing fresh air and getting exercise. It's fun drawing maps and using math, which I love.

The only thing I don't like is giving out price estimates. My company has a set hourly rate for my services, plus a rate for some of our equipment. It's always a guess when I give out an estimate, since I never know how long something will take until I actually do it. Something that seems so simple actually turns into a long, drawn out nightmare when you find out that somebody sold off bits and pieces of their land without surveying it, so you have gaps or overlaps in legal descriptions or other unknowns - you can't estimate that. It gets so depressing when I give out an estimate and either people say "Oh, that's too much" or don't accept it, then the same thing happens again, and again, and again, etc. Finally when somebody accepts it it's like manna from heaven almost. I do not enjoy dealing with "well-off" people, because they are usually the worst. Give them a good estimate that they grudgingly agree to, then when they get the bill they complain and want/get money cut off the price.

But otherwise I love my job.

12. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

How do you get into the line of work in Surveying? I have some classroom archaeology experience if that is something that lends nicely toward a career in surveying.

13. Nmaster

Nmaster SS.org Regular

I work at a little pawn shop/music store. I was hired to just work mainly in the music part of it, because it is kind of separate from the other half of the store. I really enjoy a job that has so much to do with my favorite thing, it is a lot of fun just being able to talk music with customers. (Even though typically our musical tastes are vastly different)

14. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

I do the same job. I love it. I wouldn't trade a minute of it. I also get to do outside plant work with my particular job, which means I'm not tied down to a desk all day.

15. DarkNoon

DarkNoon Well-Known Member

I work in the largest locally owned music store in my state and I love it more than anything. Getting music equipment into peoples hands that they dream of having (satisfying GAS) is what I live for and it's great to be doing that day to day. The best part about working in such a store is the knowledge you acquire and realizing how much you really don't know as much about gear as you thought you did.

16. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

In my case it just...sort of happened. Got a summer internship at the firm I work for (that was the intention, at least - that's what my college advisor told me it was going to be). At the interview my employer said he was looking for a full-time guy. I needed the credits & the pay was better than the other jobs I was looking at, at the time.

Worked for 4-6 years (I forget exactly) then took my Fundamentals exam, worked until I had 9 years experience & then took the Principles & Practice Exam (the "Professional Surveyor" exam). Also took the state exam. Passed all the exams on my first try (I was happy). Got my application packet together with all the stuff I needed. Got a bunch of references. Sent it all in & got my shiny certificate that hangs on the wall.

I guess find out the requirements for your state. Some states require a BS in surveying before you can be licensed. Some don't but require you to have many years of experience in several different areas of surveying and for you to provide proof/examples to back that up.

Expect to do a ton of studying. I went to college for Agricultural Engineering Technology and we had 2 surveying classes, which I took. The info provided in those classes just scratched the surface of what you need to know in order to have the hope of passing the exams.

The thing that was frustrating for me (but I laugh about it now) is that of all the stuff that I studied & all the stuff that I was tested on - I maybe use 5% of that information in the real world.

Kind of like at my interview - my employer asked me if I took Calculus in college. I said yes & asked how much it was used on the job. He said "We don't - I just want to know if you know how to think".

17. Abomination

Abomination Accursed Entity

I love it, I work as a respiratory therapist.

18. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

I design reflectors, it's like playing a 3d puzzle game all day. I listen to music while I work, and get to travel from time to time. Great f'ing job really

19. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

I work part time in a supermarket. I have to get up at 6:30 am tomorrow for my shift. On Saturday, when everyone else I know is still asleep. Sorry state of affairs, isn't it. And I usually get dumped on a till for hours on end, which is utterly soul-destroying. It's not so bad if I'm on the shop floor.

Meh, shouldn't complain really, it gives me money. It's in a fairly posh supermarket, it's a better job than lots of people my age end up with (I'm 19). And obviously we need to take into account the fact that if I was unemployed, I wouldn't have such an unreasonably large collection of pedals...

I'm also a music student, which I think has more of a ring to it. Makes me sound more interesting and impressive :lol:

20. Murdstone

Murdstone Sycamore Trees

I currently do stem cell research. I've always enjoyed being in a laboratory, although this exact work isn't necessarily my cup of tea. I'll always be doing some sort of biochemistry though, in one field or another.