Anybody have a job you love?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mason Bruce, May 15, 2014.

1. Mason Bruce

Mason Bruce Active Member

Curious to see what it is, why you love it, and how you got it.

2. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Yes and no. I'm a teacher, and I love the idea of being a teacher, but I don't always enjoy my job. Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's awful, because children are objectively terrible.

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Yes I love my job but I'm only at it for a year and don't know how I'll feel about it in 5 years from now. I'm an RnD engineer in a multinational company. I get to do applied research and actually see the fruits of my and my colleagues labor into fruition in relatively short time. So I get to use science and see the application quite fast. As a person that gets bored easily and that doesn't like things to drag along too much it's a much preferred environment than working at a University. Less freedom than a University but more structure and focus. Also no teaching because it isn't that much better at this level due to those terrible children Grand_Moff_Tim mentioned, becoming half baked adults that they are exiting puberty.
    How I got the job, after years of studying and doing various menial jobs to support myself, with a small break in grad school where I had a rather good scholarship for my PhD, and having numerous rejections from various positions I applied, I honed my acting skills quite well to convince the people at the company I work now that I can do the job I knew already I could, over other candidates with similar if not better qualifications than me. It helped that I'm a likeable person :).

4. Force

Force Jackson Addict

Love is a strong word but I'm quite happy where I am now.

Ive been a maintenance/handyman/grounds/driver guy for most of my 23year work history, nearly all in aged care. I'm currently at my 3rd retirement place & while all these places have there issues, this joint is by far the best.

I'm happy to get up each morning & troddle off to work where as the other places pretty much sucked, ranging from 'don't wanna go today' to 'someone get me a nuke coz Ive f**king had it with these c**ts'..............

Where I am now, everyone is nice. For the most part, I'm not being treated like an infant or something you'd scrape off your shoe, it's a different feeling for sure. going on 2 years now, I plan to stick it out for some time.

I basically fix things that nurses break (very regularly) & try to prevent things from breaking. Sometimes I drive a busload of elderly people to shopping or a picnic etc if our regular driver isn't available. Some gardening, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, tiling, painting, a bit of everything really.

I think i'm worth more money..........management does not.

5. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Working as a civil engineer and enjoying it.
    The pay sucks, the job is stressful and demanding, the work hours are too much.

But I enjoy the work itself and the end result of it, each time I pass a building I completed, it fills me with a sense of pride.

Credit ofcourse goes to architechts and people view civil engineers as just people to get it done. But working on site is lot of fun, not to mention its physical work so I feel quiet fit.

guitareben likes this.
  6. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

I concur with this sentiment, but would like to add that in my case it's more of the adults around that are the problem and the students aren't so bad most of the time (high school upper-level Math).

7. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

Love it. Software developer. This company needed more people and called all the local colleges looking for soon to be or recent grads. I was one of the people. I like the idea in general of being a developer because almost everything we use has some sort of software development behind it. I like technology, and knowing how that technology works under the hood(instead of just using it) and I know I'll probably always be in demand. I don't get the Sunday blues any more. Mondays don't bother me as much as they did before either.

8. ferret

ferret Not worthy

I like/love what I do (Computers, programming), and the environment is usually pretty good here... but it has it's days.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I'm content :lol:

I received a "shift leader" promotion earlier this year when my boss left (which gave me a small bump up money wise). By July I should be making about 5k more then I currently am. So...in a couple months I might "love" my job :lol:

Oh and I got my job from knowing people...my father :lol:

'It's not about what you know, it's about who you know.'

I tried explaining this to my ex gf...lets just say she didn't really get it. :wallbash:

10. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Professional martial artist xD

11. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I get to work on video games in a small team where there's potential for a lot of creative input. Got the job through a recommendation by a college friend who already worked there.

12. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

I really like my job... can't say i love it yet cuz i just started.

But i work as a digital editor/ reporter for a local news/talk radio station. I used to work in a tv news station part-time before, but the structure wasn't right for me to go anywhere. right now im on a smaller team and we all work together.

i got the job because i worked at the tv station kinda doing what im doing now... i got the tv job because i interned there over the summer... i got the internship by working my ass off a school and impressing the right professor (she offered it to me over her journo students and i wasn't even in the program).

13. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I control all of your water... bow before me!!!

14. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

Lifeguard. People hate me for it sometimes, and my boss is intent on making my job as hard as it physically can be, but at the end of the day I know that there are about 4 children sleeping in their beds tonight because I was there the day they lost their noodle or jumped off the diving board and panicked, or swallowed water coming out of the slide and passed out. And who knows how many others who never were put in that situation because I prevented their parents from chucking them at walls or letting them swim without lifejackets when they clearly cannot swim.

guitareben likes this.
  15. Labrie

Labrie King of the Swing

I'm a paramedic and on-call firefighter. Absolutely love my job. I've seen a lot of horrific things but the feeling you get when you treat and help someone and get to see them improve is just awesome!

16. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

I'm a teacher too. Secondary History. I guess that's what, high school to Yanks? 11-18.

Kids are sometimes objectively terrible, but it's on me to either a) make them less terrible, or b) make them realise that continuing to be terrible will incur sanctions which they will not enjoy. Same result either way.

All while getting them to understand the discipline of Sima Qian, Gaius Cornelius Tacitus and Karl Marx. You don't know intellectual challenge until you've had to explain annales historiography to a group of borderline feral 13-year-olds. When a lesson goes well, which is most of the time, for me it's an adrenaline rush far greater than performing music on stage. Drawing out skills of deduction and analysis that kids didn't even know they had makes me so glad that I'm in this job.

And then there's the hilarity of kids putting stuff in their own terms. One kid who's a bit of a massive geek in one of my classes characterised the policy of the British Empire to slave rebellions in the early 19th Century as "Lawful Evil." Dungeons and Dragons? Hell yes I'll run with that. Or slightly older kids insulting not each others' mothers, but each others' analysis of evidence. "Man your conclusion is PEAK."*

How'd I get in to it? Studied history at university. Got in to teaching English as a foreign language post-university for a couple of years, then became a teaching assistant at a school for another year. Applied for a teacher training course (in the UK you need a one-year postgraduate course, mainly spent teaching classes and reflecting on your practice, in order to qualify as a teacher).

And here I am. Mr Varcolac, Teacher of History.

*Peak (adj)[inf]: very not good, innit mate.

17. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

I work at a gas station. The job itself is easy but its the people and the privileges that make it worth staying.

The people are great, we all get a long like we've been best friends for years.

I can do ANYTHING in my free time. Yes I mean ANYTHING. They don't care if my girlfriend comes to work with me, hell they ask about her when she isn't here.

Me and the manager prank call people and shoot stupid videos, its great.

18. Orandje

Orandje SS.org Regular

Beeing a Student is pretty ....ing relaxing I guess.
    :google:

19. asher

asher So Did We

You're insane.

Or getting a College of Arts & Crafts degree :fawk:

20. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

Or in my experience, a degree in IT :p

I like my job, but I wouldn't say I love it. But I might be applying for a different position more in line with my skills within the company, so that's a plus :)