Anybody ever got bored of humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Pat, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Been playing my Jackson DK2 exclusively for a few months now (has a JB and 59), got a bit burnt out with it to be honest.

Got my Ltd St213 out of storage and plugged it in, immediately preferred the sound of the single coils - more articulation, dynamics and character to them. They are just stock ESP designed pickups.

Anybody else find this after playing humbuckers for a while? Preferred the single coils so much that I immediately took some photos of the Jackson to put it up for sale - looking at getting an HSS instead (something like this instead https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LM403HTFMNS--esp-ltd-m-403-natural-satin)

Masoo2, Solodini and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  2. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Single coils are better, period.

3. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Think I'm beginning to agree to be honest - what kind of music do you play?

Solodini likes this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Zado's right. Humbuckers are for losers. Especially neck humbuckers.

Masoo2, Solodini and Thaeon like this.
  5. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

No.

mastapimp and Blytheryn like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Sounds like you just want something new and different, and right now single coils fill that void.

Buy guitars with tons of different pickups and never get (as) bored.

8. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Had single coils on my starter strat, and couldn’t get a decent palm mute sound to save my life. Haven’t touched a guitar with them since.

9. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

It's one the reasons I have a good Strat and a Jazzmaster. Those tones can't be replicated on a split humbucker, and it's nice to have the options afforded by guitars with a variety of pickup configurations.

AkiraSpectrum and StevenC like this.
  10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Love me a neck and middle single coil, but I absolutely cannot vibe with bridge singlecoils. I need that oomph

BTS, Wolfhorsky, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

From classic rock to hardcore punk to classic heavy metal. If you have the proper single coils (without going single sized humbs, which are of course not singles) you can deliver screamin heavy metal tones.

[​IMG]

12. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

Goes both ways for me. The only guitar that has been on my guitar rack for a month now beside my bass is my SSS strat but yesterday I took my RG1527 out of the case and was surprised how good even those god-awful stock Ibanez humbuckers sound compared to the single-coils (especially on high-gain tones) but I'll know I'll eventually get bored with them once again and switch back to playing the strat.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  13. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Recently purchased a Fender Strat HSS because I have been listening to a bunch of stuff using a lot of single-coil tones and was really digging and GASing for a Strat or Tele for the last year or two. Am I loving the HSS setup? OH YEAH! Maybe in the future i'll find some extra cash to grab a SS Tele for the increased variety of tones I can get out of that particular combination.

As a guitarist the majority of us like to have different 'tools' in our 'toolboxes' so we can get a large variety of tones to suit the style we are feeling at the moment. Sometimes I want those sparkly cleans or that wirey/jangle/quack of a slightly broken-up/pushed clean or light crunch and sometimes I want a thick/mean/full high gain tone in the bridge or the neck position. Luckily I have a handful of tools to assist me in achieving a large variety of tones for all the different genres/styles of music I like to play and listen to.

I don't know if the ESP single coils in your LTD ST guitar are 'true singles' or 'noiseless/stacked' singles, but the Duncans in the LTD M403 are stacked singles, so it will a 'blend' of true single coil tone with a humbucker-like tone. The benefit of 'stacked' singles is that they aren't as noisy as true single coils.

If you really dug the Jackson DK24 but want some single-coils you could also check out the Charvel DK24 HSS models. If I remember correctly the Charvel DK24 HSS has true single coils, but they are very hot singles. The LTDM403 are stacked singles but aren't as high output.

I recommend trying out those guitars or those pickups in another instrument to see if you like them. Remember, just like humbuckers, single-coils differ in sound--even though each their definitive 'characteristics'.

Kaura likes this.
  14. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

did someone say baroness??

15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I never get bored of humbuckers, but I have moods where I want to play my tele.

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I love the clean sound of a p90

StevenC, Solodini and xzacx like this.
  17. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

P90>EMG singles>singles — the neck position. I don't necessarily prefer them to neck hums, but they certainly have their place and are a fun option to have.

vilk likes this.
  18. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

I've actually not tried a guitar with P90s in, but all the demos I've heard sound great. Rabea Massad did a great demo of different pickup types, to my ears the P90s sounded best for metal strangely

Thaeon likes this.
  19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Other guitarist in my band recently got some "P-rails", which are simultaneously humbuckers and p90's at the same time and can switched all kinds of crazy ways with a pickup selector
    [​IMG]

zappatton2 likes this.
  20. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I like a nice bright bridge bucker. I have a guitar with selector options for splitting. Neck STAYS single unless I’m playing something jazzy. I mostly hate neck humbuckers. Tele is my favorite vintage design. I’ll use every sound that guitar makes and they’re plenty aggressive.

Musiscience and Solodini like this.