Anybody else waiting 10 years for their custom guitar to be built? (Vik)

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
The problem is it’s difficult to know what action to take. I’ve tried the following:
1) be super nice, and see if they’ll feel sorry for me and delivery. This had some initial positive response, but short lived.
2) apply social media pressure by “outing” them. This also had some positive response, but usually the luthier doesn’t give a shit about public image by that point.
3) threatening to involve the police. He goe pissed and threatened me.
4) try to sue. I never followed through, because even if I won, if he doesn’t pay me back, then I have to sue AGAIN to get payment. And then again, etc. It’s very difficult to get someone to pay via lawsuit. Abs expensive in time and money.
5) offer to take the work in whatever state it’s in. That didn’t work, because someone who’s not interested in working on something also isn’t interested in taking the time to box it up, and drive to the post office.

The one thing which MIGHT have worked is showing up at the luthier’s house abs make it clear I am not above violence and vandalism to him or his family. That would likely work. But, as it turns out, I AM above violence to him and his family, and I am not that coordinated or strong.

So, honestly, the best thing we can do is band together and make sure no one we know dumps money into one of these losers. That’s really about it.

i identify with this entire thought process. i have gotten to the point where i will no longer tiptoe around these situations. there have been some many times i have now been in this situation, not just guitar builders but Kickstarter projects, other online orders etc.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
i identify with this entire thought process. i have gotten to the point where i will no longer tiptoe around these situations. there have been some many times i have now been in this situation, not just guitar builders but Kickstarter projects, other online orders etc.
Oh, don't get me started on Kickstarter. I will never back one of those sorts of things again. I can throw my money directly in the trash, and save myself the headache.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me started on Kickstarter. I will never back one of those sorts of things again. I can throw my money directly in the trash, and save myself the headache.
Regardless of whether it's guitar-related or not, backing a Kickstarter is a bad idea 99 out of 100 times. About 1-2 years ago, I went on there daily for entertainment. Some of the ideas I've seen were so stupid. One was a thermos bottle with a little condenser in it to catch water vapour out of the air and fill itself, to save water for the environment. Totally ignoring the fact that the places where water is in shortest supply are also too dry for anything like that to be at all energy efficient. And don't get me started on the laser razor! A few of those fundraisers looked pretty cool to me, though, in the past. I luckily never gave anyone my money, because every one that I watched ended up ultimately being a scam, whether the idea they were pitching sounded good or not. I have bought stuff from companies that came from Kickstarter campaigns, though, but in those cases, I didn't hear about them until they were basically fully funded.

Anyway, if Vik is in the USA now, I would love to optimistically say that law enforcement would catch up with him, but 100% of the guitar scams that got me were based in the USA, and BRJ was in the USA, so...

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
anyway, if Vik is in the USA now, I would love to optimistically say that law enforcement would catch up with him, but 100% of the guitar scams that got me were based in the USA, and BRJ was in the USA, so...

didn't people get the law or local police involved on Rico? thats the first step on Vik and its sure to cause alot of headaches if his work papers are not in order given is immigration status in the states is completely unknown currently

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
didn't people get the law or local police involved on Rico? thats the first step on Vik and its sure to cause alot of headaches if his work papers are not in order given is immigration status in the states is completely unknown currently
I'm not sure. When I called them they said it's a civil matter between individuals unless I was in possession and he stole it from me. I couldn't get them to do anything, really.

Reaction score
Kind of a sad thread to see as a builder. Id kill to have had some big players work with me and the attention some more "well known" luthiers have gotten.... yet the opportunity seems to as others have put have a high rate of being squandered. Ive gone the route of very slow stable organic growth with my own products its worked well but still pains me to see the guys who seem to explode and throw the golden moment to the side. If anything over time ive learned never to bite off more than I can chew, build a policy of honesty, streamline and make a more efficient process of building and MOST important have a timeline that allows for a hiccup or two. Ask any of my clients I don't play around if I have a problem I don't try to hide it or pussyfoot around I tell them " Hey X problem is going to take me this much more time how do you want to proceed ? ". Most guys are usually happy with that and even happier when they get a good product. Ill also mention I will NEVER have someone wait more than 6 months that is a sin.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Kind of a sad thread to see as a builder. Id kill to have had some big players work with me and the attention some more "well known" luthiers have gotten.... yet the opportunity seems to as others have put have a high rate of being squandered. Ive gone the route of very slow stable organic growth with my own products its worked well but still pains me to see the guys who seem to explode and throw the golden moment to the side. If anything over time ive learned never to bite off more than I can chew, build a policy of honesty, streamline and make a more efficient process of building and MOST important have a timeline that allows for a hiccup or two. Ask any of my clients I don't play around if I have a problem I don't try to hide it or pussyfoot around I tell them " Hey X problem is going to take me this much more time how do you want to proceed ? ". Most guys are usually happy with that and even happier when they get a good product. Ill also mention I will NEVER have someone wait more than 6 months that is a sin.
Is this where I tell you we need an 9 string version of your beauties?

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This might be where I tell you I have zero plans for a 9 string at any point in time lol. Not that I dont see potential but id sooner get into basses.

yeah, it's just a personal opinion of mine that 9 is really just overkill, I mean an 8 string is almost into bass territory. Not to mention how just playing that many strings at once would be tough in terms of neck width etc.

Reaction score
yeah, it's just a personal opinion of mine that 9 is really just overkill, I mean an 8 string is almost into bass territory. Not to mention how just playing that many strings at once would be tough in terms of neck width etc.
I am currently doing 7s and I hope to add multiscale+headless soon. As I said before I like to take my growth very slowly and organically so I can deliver the best products I can to my clients. I wont bash guitarists who use 8s and up but I personally also do feel 8+ is too much.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am currently doing 7s and I hope to add multiscale+headless soon. As I said before I like to take my growth very slowly and organically so I can deliver the best products I can to my clients. I wont bash guitarists who use 8s and up but I personally also do feel 8+ is too much.

Awesome to hear Dean, i think you are doing it right.

But yeah, for me, 9 is no different than a 20string lol.