Any users of the signature Fishman Fluence line? (Devin, Abasi, KsE, etc)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 12, 2017.

1. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

You're not helping me differentiate between sets....:confused:

Fishman need to get the custom combination pickups out there.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Oddly, the Moderns have a bit of a smoother sound too them. They have more output, more compression, and more midrange, but the Classic has MUCH more aggression in the upper midrange. I guess the amount of bite it has makes chugs feel super tight, even though the Moderns are probably tighter in actuality. At least V1 of the moderns. V1 is super tight, but it's peak midrange is in the center mids, so it doesn't have the aggressive bite ofd the Classics in V2. 700hz vs 1.6khz. V2 of the moderns is around the same freq of V2 of the Classics, but it has a shit ton of low end and a more scooped sound.

AirForbes1 and Strobe like this.
  3. AirForbes1

Makes sense if the classics are a hot rodded JB. They should feel a lot like the EMG 57 then.

4. AirForbes1

Video of the classics and the moderns. Though, I've never heard Josh Middleton make anything that didn't sound amazing (to me).

Classic:

Modern:

Yeah, it does seem like the classics have a more pronounced upper midrange. The Moderns sound tighter, to me. But, the classics seem to punch through a bit more. Based on these two vids.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah the V1 of the Moderns will have the tightest low end of all. But the classics have so much high-mid bite that it's still very satisfying with high-gain stuff. Lots and lots of cut.

AirForbes1 likes this.
  6. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Strobe likes this.
  7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

I had a classic set installed in my E-II horizon III for about 2 weeks/1 show. Took them out and went back to the 57/66. They do sound good, but the split coil option left little to be desired.

Ideally I'd want a paf voiced set like the 57/66 but with a coil split option.

8. TheShade0110

TheShade0110 SS.org Regular

The Open Core Classic set will have a much better split tone.

9. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

That's interesting. I'm a bit fan of the 57/66. How would you say the Classics compare?

10. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Voice 1 of the classics is in the same ball park as the EMG 57/66 set. Classics are closer to passives in output (especially in voice 1). The fluence set is a little less compressed to my ears. The classics also feel a little brighter to me in voice 1. Voice 2 of the classics however does not really compare well with this EMG set. Voice 2 sounds more JB to me in the bridge, but it's super clear and a little wider of a frequency band to my ears, but with the familiar upper mid hump. Voice 2 of the classics in the neck is kind of similar to the jazz clean, but it is not a very close comparison as it has both more lows and more highs than a jazz - and it really doesn't sound like anything else out there.

For context, I own both. I have a 57/66 in my LTD KS7 (seven string). I have the classic set in a Les Paul.

Flappydoodle likes this.
  11. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

The Classics were much brighter overall, even with the high cut option activated. I prefer the slightly more compressed and higher output 57/66 as well. I liked voice 2 for the bridge with its higher output, but overall with the amount of options these had I was let down the most by the coil split.

12. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

The new open-core Classics have a specially voiced single coil tone, just like Tosin's, Devin's, KSE, so maybe it is an improvement. I have been blown away by the single tones out of my Tosin's, KSE.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Seriously, I love using voice 3 of the KsE set. Probably the best split I've heard yet.

14. LeviathanKiller

I wish they came in a 7 set. So dumb

Stuck_in_a_dream likes this.
  15. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Me too. Every clean tone I use the single coil

16. kingpinMS3

kingpinMS3 dumb, but harmless

I have the Carpenter set in my agile 7. I really, really love voice 2 on the bridge pickup. it's got a certain kinda grind that most pickups don't have.

they're really good.

17. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

Unfortunately, the internet is an echo chamber and most of the people that say the Carpenter set is bad have never even played them. I too think they sound good.

18. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I think people forget that when you swap a pick up you might (by might mean you should) have to adjust your amp/pedal eq settings. From what I can tell from videos the SC's are voiced/eq'd differently than most pick ups. Seymour Duncan did the same thing with the dimebucker

19. LeviathanKiller

So I got my Shecter C-7 SLS Elite 7 in today with the Fishman Fluence Modern set. The rest here is copied and pasted from my post in the Schecter KM-7 thread.
    --------------------
    As a current owner of all 3 sets, the Modern set is my favorite, Fishman Keith Merrow set is 2nd, and Nazgul/Sentient is probably 3rd. Really close between 2nd and 3rd.
    I'm really tempted to keep the KM7-MKII that's loaded with the Fishman KM set even though I said I would send it back if I like the guitar equipped with the Moderns better. :lol:
    I was going to say I'm not feeling a whole lot of love for the Nazgul/Sentient set BUT REALLY it's just the Nazgul. The Sentient neck pickup is great imo

I did a comparison of just voice 1 of each set. Voice 2 isn't a drastic difference as much as the pickup sets are from each other so you'll get the general idea.
    Fishman Fluence Keith Merrow vs Modern set (both 7-string, same tuning, same settings, same wood/construction even afaik)
    Keith Merrow bridge voice 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/a425uf0lwq76w2n/20180509_190905_Fishman_KeithMerrow_bridge_voice1.wav
    Modern bridge voice 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oqv2yacc45x82j0/20180509_190905_Fishman_Modern_bridge_voice1.wav

Smoked Porter and AkiraSpectrum like this.