Any solution to double stop bending on floyd rose

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I‘d be curious to know how many Vai has snapped over the years doing that same thing. Doesn’t seem to hold him back, though!

Probably a fair bit, but considering he changes the whole Edge bridge on his EVO every 6 months (!) I can't imagine the bar being a problem.

On the topic of unison bends, I remember Satch mentioning that he has to practice compound bending by bending both strings to pitch. It takes a lot of work and ear training to get it right with a floyd, especially with the extra tension you have to fight against.

Towards the end you can hear Rob getting a few imperfect bends (then flutters it). But in this case it works since the bends are so primal and full of emotion, as well as sounding cooler with heavy fluttering.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The easiest way is to bend the other string slightly too.
This! I really don't consider myself to be very good at guitar, but it feels very intuitive and natural for me to do this.

For OP:
Double-stop bend with the 2nd & 3rd strings (bending 3rd string), using my 2nd & 3rd fingers. I 'anchor' the bend with my 3rd finger on the 2nd string. As I bend the 3rd string with my 2nd finger, I subtly pull the 2nd string in the opposite direction.
I think some people would bend the 2nd string in the same direction, but I find it harder to control both strings this way...YMMV.

EDIT:
Most of my guitars have some form of Ibanez Edge tremolo. The pitch of other strings definitely changes less on those with the ZPS system (Edge Zero / ZR bridge) comapred to those without (Edge / Lo-Pro Edge).

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Probably a fair bit, but considering he changes the whole Edge bridge on his EVO every 6 months (!) I can't imagine the bar being a problem.

On the topic of unison bends, I remember Satch mentioning that he has to practice compound bending by bending both strings to pitch. It takes a lot of work and ear training to get it right with a floyd, especially with the extra tension you have to fight against.

Towards the end you can hear Rob getting a few imperfect bends (then flutters it). But in this case it works since the bends are so primal and full of emotion, as well as sounding cooler with heavy fluttering.

Every 6 months? Jeez they must be barely broken in

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You can adjust your technique to compensate too... By applying pressure with the side of your hand to the bridge slightly as you bend. Practice for this would be do the double stop bend while applying this technique, and only play the non bent string. This will give you a gauge as to how much pressure to apply. Only takes a small bit of practice to nail it.
I just dont worry about it, personally. Still sounds in tune enough without doing anything about it (shrug)
Same. For me, the detuning when bending is just part of the “instrument.” I LOVE Floyds because they’re literally on the knife edge between control and chaos. It’s crazy expressive, there’s a crap ton of sounds you can get out of them, and they’re completely organic and analog. My first ever electric guitar had a Floyd, and it’s all I played, live, recording, and at home, until I joined this place and you bastards got me hooked on collecting all kinds of guitars.