Any news on elixirs anti-rust?

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Its funny because of how long ago this happened and you guys are just raging about it now xD.

For people (not myself) who bought original elixirs and then they came out with the anti-rust strings it'd probably be hella noticeable when that decal popped right back off.

I noticed right away in that regard and actually read the box before buying it cause I noticed it missing. Expecting people to read is a silly thing though. As far as I understood they were working on getting the anti-rust stuff back, so that was the entire point of this thread was to see if people had any news regarding that.

Not really supposed to be a rage about something that happened a really long time ago thread.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Its funny because of how long ago this happened and you guys are just raging about it now xD.

For people (not myself) who bought original elixirs and then they came out with the anti-rust strings it'd probably be hella noticeable when that decal popped right back off.

I noticed right away in that regard and actually read the box before buying it cause I noticed it missing. Expecting people to read is a silly thing though. As far as I understood they were working on getting the anti-rust stuff back, so that was the entire point of this thread was to see if people had any news regarding that.

Not really supposed to be a rage about something that happened a really long time ago thread.

I believe that MOST Elixir string users are still finding out this news. How did you find out about it so long ago? And why didn't you tell everyone, ever? :lol: This thread was most certainly the way I found out about the shortage. It's taken until about now for most stores to fully cycle through the old stock of Elixirs, and people are only just now (in Australia, at least) experiencing their first few sets of non-coated plain steel string elixirs and are thoroughly disappointed. In fact, I thought it was weird you posted a thread which wasn't explaining anything about the shortage, just assuming everyone had their ear as close to the ground as you and already knew exactly what was going on. The only information on it is a small article on their site. The only reason I'd be on the site is if I knew something was wrong and went to research it. This affects many people who haven't simply known this from the beginning, like yourself, and I for one am unprepared. If you make a thread which contains breaking bad news to some people, expect them to rage a little :2c:

edsped

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I believe that MOST Elixir string users are still finding out this news. How did you find out about it so long ago? And why didn't you tell everyone, ever? :lol: This thread was most certainly the way I found out about the shortage. It's taken until about now for most stores to fully cycle through the old stock of Elixirs, and people are only just now (in Australia, at least) experiencing their first few sets of non-coated plain steel string elixirs and are thoroughly disappointed. In fact, I thought it was weird you posted a thread which wasn't explaining anything about the shortage, just assuming everyone had their ear as close to the ground as you and already knew exactly what was going on. The only information on it is a small article on their site. The only reason I'd be on the site is if I knew something was wrong and went to research it. This affects many people who haven't simply known this from the beginning, like yourself, and I for one am unprepared. If you make a thread which contains breaking bad news to some people, expect them to rage a little :2c:
Basically this. If I hadn't seen this thread I probably wouldn't have known unless I had bought a new pack and had the strings die really fast and then Googled around to see what the deal was. I certainly never would have gone to their site on a whim and dug through stuff until I found their two notices.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
What other options are there for anti-rust plain strings? I checked my most recent packets and they still seem to be anti-rust, but now I am paranoid :(

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
There were threads on here from before like:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...966-elixirs-becoming-less-rust-resistant.html

the one I made myself asking about it, though at the time I was still using anti-rust old packs I already had and was like *why are these rusting up faster* and then was told about this, my packs still being anti-rust though just not working as well.

Hence why I'm surprised people are just finding out now, since the news had been circulating for a while and somehow I guess no one was paying attention. Again though this wasn't intended to be a BTW GUYS THIS HAPPENED WAY BACK WHEN AND SOMEHOW YOU'RE HEARING ABOUT IT NOW! Thread, I was curious if there was any developments.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Appreciated, but now that you're aware of the issue, wouldn't you just check the site regularly for news? Elixir will have an announcement on the site before anyone here finds out by word of mouth or other means.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I have been, but things leak out other ways before sites are updated sometimes.

For instance a discussion at namm... or something...

Nitrobattery

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How are the titanium plated plain strings on the Ernie Ball coated set?

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Ok, I can finally contribute to this thread instead of moaning about the situation. Today I received a reply to my lengthy message to Elixir, stating my dissatisfaction at the chain of communication between Elixir and the customer, among other things. I was contacted by Warren Redman, who is responsible for the Elixir strings business in the Asia Pacific region based out of Melbourne, Australia. I was met with good news, and the main points to take from the reply are reassuring, such as;

" The packs containing plain steels with anti rust technology will start shipping again from our USA warehouse on March 26th. Depending on the order placement from our distributor I would expect to see the anti rust packs on the shelves a few weeks after that." (I'd suspect sooner for the US stores)

"What happened was that we went into our warehouse and noticed rust on the anti rust bulk spools which was what prompted the change back to original plain steels while we got to the bottom of the issue. Fortunately we caught the issue in time before product was shipped as it would have been a much more serious issue to claim anti rust when in fact the product was rusty out of the packet. That is why we had to change all packaging back to the plain steel packets, change literature and update our website."

So there you go, March 26th :yesway:

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Was just thinking it'd be really cool if people could chime in here when they see Anti-Rust sets available again in their local areas. I'm in Australia, so I think it'll be a while. But tomorrow (in the US) is the resupply date.

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Got some more information on this today. Last night I posted on the Elixir FriendFace page, something along the lines of "Spoke to an Elixir rep, date was March 26th, haven't seen or heard anything else yet". Got a reply today saying;

"Nick, the information you received was accurate and a wee bit incomplete at the same time: Initial quantities have begun shipping but will take some time to show up in all corners of the world. Our intention is to make an announcement when they're about to be broadly available to everyone, everywhere. A little tricky to time it, but we will make an announcement here and in other venues in the not-too-distant future. Sorry we raised expectations a little ahead of time. : /"

It's good that they've started shipping them, but it seems there's still some more waiting to be had for most people out there.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I figured as much, ty for keeping us up to date ^^

Luckily my elixir strings from the middle of last year are still holding up well.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Elixir have also been hard at work developing these. They have a hefty price tag though. :(

389317_10150706669502893_95331092892_9587802_1167925278_n.jpg

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
Couple of days ago I saw a couple of the new anti-rust packets hit the shelves here in rural Australia. So I'm guessing they're just about everywhere else already.

It says anti-rust. Did they ever update their image when they had regular plain strings?

Elixir Light Top/Heavy Bottom Nanoweb Electric Guitar Strings | Musician's Friend

Yep, they simply removed the strip of text which says Anti Rust, left a notice tucked away in the news section of their site, and let people work it out for themselves. The representative of Gore/Elixir I spoke to said they informed the distributors, and were simply relying on the distributors to bring that news to the individual stores. As if they're going to contact the stores and say "Hey, the Elixir strings you just placed an order for aren't anti-rust". Everyone enjoyed washing their hands of that one, and keeping people in the dark.