Any mix tip is welcome!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by metaldung, May 23, 2020.

1. metaldung

metaldung SS.org Regular

Hi all! I started recording many years ago and now I want to start again but (as the title said) I am still a noob. I recorded some songs of mine and uploaded yesterday and now I am searching for someone who review them.. I use a focusrite 2i4 2nd gen ezdrummer 2 and Neural DSP stuff (nameless, plini and parallax). Every tips for improve my mixes are welcome!

2. Sylim

Sylim SS.org Regular

the instrumentation seems fine, but, if i may be so blunt, the vocals don´t sit well at all. they have a lot of muffled mid range and lack high end clarity, so they just end up fighting with the guitars. then you compensate that by raising their level way too high and they end up messing up the whole mix. befor i give any EQ tips, could you share how you process the vocals and what you do EQ wise?

3. metaldung

metaldung SS.org Regular

Hi!! Thank you so much for rhe answer.. i totally agree about the vocals.. i don t have a treated room and my chain is this usually:
    Volume pre fx automation
    Eq with High pass filter on 100 hz or so (nothing else with eq usually)
    Deessing a bit
    Compressor
    Another gentle compressor
    Reverb
    Delay

4. Sylim

Sylim SS.org Regular

ok, in that case i´d start with a wide cut at around 400Hz to get rid of the muffle, and a high shelf boost to got more clarity in there. and dial it in from there.