Any metal bands you don't get?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I remember back when Gary Holt became Jeff’s replacement and he was asked if he was going to play the solos just like they were written and he replied “no a slayer solo is its own unique thing.” Translation …i have a reputation and a career outside of slayer and I dont need a youtube video out there of me playing like slayer to fuck it up.

Sad thing is if you listen to Die By Sword it is actually an awesome solo. Its something I want to hear and not something I have to hear because I havent mastered the skip button while driving.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember back when Gary Holt became Jeff’s replacement and he was asked if he was going to play the solos just like they were written and he replied “no a slayer solo is its own unique thing.” Translation …i have a reputation and a career outside of slayer and I dont need a youtube video out there of me playing like slayer to fuck it up.

Sad thing is if you listen to Die By Sword it is actually an awesome solo. Its something I want to hear and not something I have to hear because I havent mastered the skip button while driving.
That was such a political answer from Gary lol. I agree with you about the reason for his answer as well.

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

There are quite a few decent "traditional" solo runs on that album. Generally speaking - chaos and trem wankery is hard to defend lol but - tastes differ of course - I don't see anything wrong with any of the solos on e.g. Criminally Insane or Dead Skin Mask or Ghosts of War etc etc.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
There are quite a few decent "traditional" solo runs on that album. Generally speaking - chaos and trem wankery is hard to defend lol but - tastes differ of course - I don't see anything wrong with any of the solos on e.g. Criminally Insane or Dead Skin Mask or Ghosts of War etc etc.
I agree. I was going to mention Dead Skin Mask as another example. I think I read somewhere that before the Seasons album both guitarists took lessons from Joe Satriani. But as a whole most Slayer solos are unlistenable. Why I love Slayer is Jeff's riffs. Why I hate Slayer is Kerry King's very presence.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget that the most commercial thing Kerry King ever did was play the guitar solos on License to Ill by the Beastie Boys. And those solos, despite being over a vintage DR. RHYTHM drum machine, still sounded like a malfunctioning robot, and not really in an interesting way. KK was just like "whammy dive, random note+pull up on bar, another random note+shake whammy bar violently, high note+pull up on bar, one more dive for good measure, call it good."

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree. I was going to mention Dead Skin Mask as another example. I think I read somewhere that before the Seasons album both guitarists took lessons from Joe Satriani. But as a whole most Slayer solos are unlistenable. Why I love Slayer is Jeff's riffs. Why I hate Slayer is Kerry King's very presence.
The only thing I love about Kerry King is watching his evolution from hairy biker looking dork to a literal manifestation of egotistical prick. Shaved head, beard, never takes off the glasses, always stands with his arms crossed and scowls like a dick? Yup. Prick.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
The only thing I love about Kerry King is watching his evolution from hairy biker looking dork to a literal manifestation of egotistical prick. Shaved head, beard, never takes off the glasses, always stands with his arms crossed and scowls like a dick? Yup. Prick.
1657124410347.png

Don't forget his temporary stop at WWE wannabe

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Flashbacks. I'm almost certain I have a photo of myself with my red Epiphone on exactly that same background somewhere. And aside from the fact he's about three feet shorter than me, I probably looked about the same in that pic. LOL.
What are you, 8'3"?! :lol:

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Imo those solos mostly fit the tunes. There are tons of metal bands out there I can't listen to because their solos are pathetically weak from the technical side of things (like 90% of stoner doom out there lol, some of their solos are flashbacks of learning minor pentatonic for the first time) - riffs only go that far. With Slayer this has never been an issue for me though. To each it's own I suppose.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are you, 8'3"?! :lol:
6'2". But having been in proximity to the dude a couple times, I'd swear he's like 3'5". Nothing funnier than seeing him from a high vantage point when he takes the lead stance with the big wide feet. especially when he's playing that crab claw monstrosity. I kept calling him the angry inch when we went to the last tour. :lol:

Alex79

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think all the Kerry King bashers have vented enough. Fact is, Slayer and Kerry have put their stamp on metal - including the crazy atonal soloing - as few other bands could or have done. It’s Slayer. It’s what they do. They’ve influenced countless other guitar players. And Kerry is metal as fuck, as evidenced in not caring at all about what people say or think about him.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think all the Kerry King bashers have vented enough. Fact is, Slayer and Kerry have put their stamp on metal - including the crazy atonal soloing - as few other bands could or have done. It’s Slayer. It’s what they do. They’ve influenced countless other guitar players. And Kerry is metal as fuck, as evidenced in not caring at all about what people say or think about him.
Calling Kerry the angry inch doesn't change that I do respect his place. My massive Slayer collection would prove that. I support him with my money. I also don't mind calling a spade a spade. Dude's a walking ego. Some of it's earned, but there are dudes as big or bigger than him (musically, insert your own short joke here) that aren't that much of an ass. I have massive doubts that little guys like me picking a bit on him bothers him at all so long as I still tossed my money at him just like everybody else.

mpexus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I very much doubt that.
Very recently Joe gave an interview in Tone Talk and he said his last student was Kirk and this was around Justice for All if not much earlier.

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if you dont like the chaos listen to divine intervention

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Sorry I don't and won't respect KK. Jeff put Slayers stamp on metal, Kerry just licked the stamp beforehand. What made Slayer cool, the riffs and songs that matter are Jeff's. I would leave it at that and not say boo about Kerry except he spent his career shitting on every other musician in existence FOR NO REASON. Plus Kerry wrote "Payback" so if there is an internet version of Purgatory, Kerry belongs in it for that reason alone, and I will help provide it.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I very much doubt that.
Very recently Joe gave an interview in Tone Talk and he said his last student was Kirk and this was around Justice for All if not much earlier.

Read several paragraphs down where it says Satriani tutored Slayer's guitarists for Seasons in the Abyss. I stand by my reporting

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry I don't and won't respect KK. Jeff put Slayers stamp on metal, Kerry just licked the stamp beforehand. What made Slayer cool, the riffs and songs that matter are Jeff's. I would leave it at that and not say boo about Kerry except he spent his career shitting on every other musician in existence FOR NO REASON. Plus Kerry wrote "Payback" so if there is an internet version of Purgatory, Kerry belongs in it for that reason alone, and I will help provide it.
I'm so glad Megadeth didn't record anything with Kerry. That album would be godawful, for sure. Having to listen to Kerry's tone deaf solos would be akin to having Vinnie Vincent use a dentists drill on your ear canal and calling it "FULL SHREDD!"

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm so glad Megadeth didn't record anything with Kerry. That album would be godawful, for sure. Having to listen to Kerry's tone deaf solos would be akin to having Vinnie Vincent use a dentists drill on your ear canal and calling it "FULL SHREDD!"

I'm not a big fan of Kerry either...but goddamn, comparing him to that piece of shit is a low blow.