Any low F# flatwounds on the market?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Tubbs Mcgee, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Tubbs Mcgee

Tubbs Mcgee Wobbled away

I've got a 6-string fretless that I want to tune F#-G to match my BTB7 tuned F#-C. I have a set of Kaliums that I can put on it, but I prefer flatwounds on anything fretless. I know Octave4plus makes custom ones, but I've heard a lot of negative press about them and their order form is confusing (I also only need the one extra string; I'd use D'addario Chromes for the others). Is there any other company that makes custom flatwound gauges? Looking to get a .175 or .180 or something like that. I use a .184 for the F# on my BTB.

Also wondering if anybody else has had issues with the Brice fretless basses having too high of action? The bridge is clearly designed for a fretted bass because at its lowest point the low B and high C are too high. My first thought is to give it a neck shim, but if anyone knows of a replacement bridge that would allow for lower action I'd prefer that option. The string spacing is 16mm.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Newtone UK will sort you out. Their prices are really fantastic, though shipping might hike it. If the shipping quote is absurd, get in touch with me, I'll forward them for a good price.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  3. Tubbs Mcgee

Tubbs Mcgee Wobbled away

Thanks for the rec. Their round core platinum strings sound kinda close to a flatwoundish tone, but do they make normal flatwounds? I'm intrigued that they make bronze strings in large gauges too; I've been trying to look for better gauges for my acoustic bass for a while now!

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Damn, I'm sorry! Their extensive customisation led me to falsely remember them making flatwounds. I don't have further suggestions - I know LaBella have done custom but from what I hear they can be hard to get hold of.

Indeed, good to have the option for bronze! On that note however, I always encourage players not to shy away from nickels on acoustic guitar. They are only labelled electric because their magnetic properties are essential - nothing 'not acoustic' about them. Just another option on the tonal palette alongside the large amount of traditional acoustic strings out there - and certainly a much better gauge selection for custom tuning or extended range players of both guitar and bass. Personally I always go for that now just because bronze don't seem to last well for my fingers. Perfectly happy with the tone

5. Tubbs Mcgee

Tubbs Mcgee Wobbled away

Oh yeah, I've tried nickel strings and Kalium's hybrid strings on acoustics before. Kaliums sound pretty good on them, albeit a bit too bright for my taste (kind of like 80/20 if I recall). Conversely, the standard nickel strings I tried (I think both D'addario and GHS) seemed a bit on the dull side. I prefer the tone of phosphor, especially when they break in and develop that mellowed out sound.

I think I remember Labella doing custom strings on request. I suppose I can bug them about it.