Any Love for Coal Chamber Around Here?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Dead-Pan, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher, Michael T and Orgalmer like this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I can't not snicker when he goes, "BIG TRUCK!"

3. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

I hated them back in the days.
    Together with Sonic Youth and Korn they were the trinity of the music I really couldn't like.
    Still I love how Dez evolved with Devildriver, so I will give a good listen to the new album and I'm actually curious about it.

4. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan SS.org Regular

It has a early simplistic vibe for me but still groovy. Looking forward to the rest.

5. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Yeah, I remember hearing them on the radio when they first came out and being like "really? people like this?". Then I saw them open for some other band and had to admit that they sounded incredible live. Had mixed feelings about them after that. The mall goth vibe that they brought annoyed me, but I had to respect them.

6. Jeesan

Jeesan Regular

^ "mall goth", you said it! :lol::lol::lol:

--
    I used to like Rob Zombie though.

7. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

That new song sounds a lot like Static X, the main guitar part even sounds like Push It.

8. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan SS.org Regular

I heard that as well in the first seconds. I am wondering if it was done on purpose?

9. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

Love them and I'm digging the new song. It kinda sounds like a cross between Devildriver and Coal Chamber because it's faster than classic Coal Chamber. Stoked to watch them on Monsters of Rock in São Paulo soon :hbang:

10. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

Everyone I've ever talked to about this band that didn't think anything of them before seeing them live were blown away by them after. I thought they were generic as fvck when they first came out. Saw them at Ozzfest 98 and bought the cd the next day; They were that awesome to watch and listen to. 3 days after that when my hearing came back I listened to the album. I tried to love it, hell I even had a CC t-shirt, but it was just sooooo generic and repetitive.

11. Orgalmer

Orgalmer Chuggasaurus Rex

Having owned most of CC's releases since I was about 13 they've always been pretty special for me, pretty keen to hear this new song when I get home. I always liked the simplicity of what they did musicwise, and it's a shame I never got to see them live but if they're in my area again I will definitely check them out. interesting that people really hated their releases but loved their live set though.

12. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

Coal Chamber and Static X were a couple bands i loved when they first came out back when i was in high school.

I have remained a fan and a huge fan of Devildriver. Even have DD logo ink. "Fanboy" lol.

The wife and I have seen DD numerous times and hung out with Dez who is super cool and down to earth dude.

Super excited to hear a new Coal Chamber.

13. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

First saw them supporting MAchine Head on the More Things change UK tour in Wolverhampton. Pretty good, go tthe first album then realised I had wasted my money.

14. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

^ I was at that tour too! I saw them in London.

Coal Chamber have a tour coming up in the UK soon, I am very tempted.

15. hand amputation

hand amputation SS.org Regular

"Mall Goth". Nailed it.

I liked CC quite a bit in high school, and may have even donned the dyed bangs, Ice Cream Man T-shirt (complete with fishnet undershirt) and black JNCOS.

Having said that, the new song is reminiscent of old CC, which is cool to me.

16. Abaddon9112

Abaddon9112 SS.org Regular

I love Coal Chamber's debut album. Its very much in the style of Korn's first two albums but distinct enough to not be a total ripoff. A genuinely heavy, funky record. If nu metal had gone in that direction instead of the poppier sounds of other bands, I can't imagine people hating it nearly as much.

I think they got progressively worse on Chamber Music and Dark Days. This song isn't bad, but I agree with others who said this sounds like a Static-X song. Coal Chamber always had a bit of an industrial side but the music was more groove and riff oriented than this. I miss that funky, clicky bass too :(

Still, I wanna catch them on tour to hear the old stuff. Its good these guys don't harbor any animosity toward each other anymore and are playing music together again.

Also...for whatever reason the Guitar Center in Cherry Hill, NJ has a big picture of Meegs as wallpaper behind the section where all the metal guitars are. Must've been built around 1999 haha

17. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

Well, I like that new song, but what I saw on youtube of one of their recent live perfomances... Meegs stumbles over the first notes of the intro of Loco, then the tempo seems to drop during the first chorus, around 3:40 a cymbal stand falls off the drumriser, then they return to the intro and Meegs messes up again, at 4:28 the bass player shakes her head, clearly irritated.

Then follows Big Truck, and at 5:32 Meegs misses again a few notes in the intro because he chooses the wrong moment to step off the drum riser. Bass player turns her head again with a disturbed look.

But hey, it was 2013, so they probably rehearsed some more by now.

18. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I don't dig Dez's drag-queen look. Homie should've just left the terrible makeup in the past.

19. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Agreed.

I dug their first album when it came out and saw them at Ozzfest '98(?) and they were really good, but after that I liked a couple songs here and there, but that's it.

Their look always annoyed the shit out of me though. They tried way too hard.

20. thegut

thegut No Talent Ass Clown

Coal Chamber-bringing JNCO clad kids to Hot Topic since 1997