Any ideas when it comes to acquiring the Periphery I guitar tone?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by But Doesn’t it Djent?, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

Just get the Fractal. Misha's live tone seemed to be much different from what they used to record the first record to my ears: higher-gain, brighter, tighter and more processed (ironic given that it was a real rig vs a modeling unit) owing to the three gates and 4-knob Keeley. Definitely a cool sound but certainly not what was on the first record; I remember being surprised at how low-gain and almost vintage-y the tone sounded at times when I first heard the record.

Also I did a quick search and found out that it indeed was the German cab (the bit about it possibly being the Metal cab came from some rando on the Fractal forums, so forgive me... I wish I could find the post and reply and tell him that I was right, lol): https://sevenstring.org/threads/per...ything-periphery.121110/page-129#post-2383497

:squint: Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but in case you're serious, you only need a high-mid boost in front of the amp to get the attack and tone, and 30dB is way too much in either case, not to mention the fact that the TS with the high tone/low drive setup takes care of this.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

1. BRJ
    2. Engl
    3. Listen to a lot of Sikth and Meshuggah

3. Soya

Soya Poor person

I mean, Misha is a somewhat active member on this forum. Just ask him?

4. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

We don't need to. I already cited a post where he spilled the beans... read the replies before you reply :p

5. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Honestly? Any 5150 variant and a 7 string will get you mostly there (even Bulb's signature amp is a "5150"). To my ears, the 5150 sounds A LOT like the tone you hear on their self titled.

If you want the "exact" tone, then yeah, just read the earlier replies.

But i think you'd be happy with a 5150 running through a mesa recto cab, and a 7 string with some nice pickups. Save yourself a ton of money!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  6. Soya

Soya Poor person

Ah sorry, didn't know you were in charge. Move along, everyone.

viifox likes this.
  7. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

I'm not. I added a silly smiley to my post in an attempt to convey an air of playfulness but I was clearly unsuccessful; I thought it more prudent to search the man's posts and provide a link than to bother tagging him and wasting his time asking him something that he had already clarified earlier. I'm sorry if you thought I was being hard on you since that wasn't my intention.

I hope that you see by my earlier reply to somebody that I might have taken as a troll that I'm trying to be helpful and mean no malice. Sorry man.

Thaeon likes this.
  8. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Doesnt matter if you get the exact same shit your not going to get that tone, it never works out that way bro

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Waiting for bulb to show up lol

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm actually surprised that P1 was done with an Axe. It sounds much different than their other Axe FX tones.

WhiteLightOfDeath likes this.
  11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Early firmware and an IR they wouldn’t use again maybe.

12. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I think the way the guitar tracks were mixed into the album has a lot to do with the P1 sound.

Sounds like Fractal to my ears...
    Pod x3 is more AAL's first album, or Chimp Spanner.

Masoo2 likes this.
  13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Shit, I don't know what they used on the actual release, but most of the tracks being passed along prior to their debut that everyone was raving about the sound and the mix on were just a POD 2.0. If you wanted to get early Periphery on a budget, that's where I'd go.

14. Mo Jiggity

Mo Jiggity 7-string n00b

The demos were done on a PodXT and Bulb's patches are probably still floating around in old posts on this site or elsewhere. If memory serves it was usually gate/comp, a TS sim, and a Big Bottom (available only in an add-on pack) with the occasional foray into Treadplate-based patches with some heavy EQ in the DAW to clean up the fizz (as evidenced by some of the less-processed stuff he put on his SoundClick at the time). You can cop a similar tone on a Fractal if you use a Drive block and run a guitar-only intro from one of those tracks into a tone match block.

15. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

You could always just tone-match the start of the Walk or anywhere else their is isolated guitar on the instrumental version.

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I guess, more than anything else, I would suggest that 1) because bulb used such a wide variety of gear in the early days of Periphery, and 2) some of it was not at all botique or expensive or fancy, that I really wouldn't lose sleep over the particular gear he used at any one point in time. It's more than he had a very clear vision of the sound he wanted and was very good at dialing in gear and the mix to get it there. I'd suggest you'll get a LOT farther by focusing on that. :yesway:

17. But Doesn’t it Djent?

But Doesn’t it Djent? SS.org Regular

Bulb is a member of sevenstring.org right?

18. But Doesn’t it Djent?

Seems like this is it. I was thinkin about this too. What about Light or Letter Experiment intro? Are those isolated guitar tracks too?

19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

It’s been a long time since I listened to the first album so I don’t remember. On the the second album there’s just a small section on the last song with an isolated part, it has some cuts though to make the next session bigger sounding. There are a few tracks up ok a backing track play along site that has isolated tracks.

Tone matching studio polished tones isn’t the best idea since they are full of cuts to make room for other instruments or have boosts to cut though the mix and end up annoying sounding when you try to play with that tone on its own.

20. But Doesn’t it Djent?

I mean, i could use those polished tracks as my pivital point.