Any Ibanez s7420(mij) owners around here ?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by elkoki, Oct 22, 2020.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

For those of you who own one or have, what's YOUR opinion on the guitar? I've seen these occasionally pop up for sale but they're always very expensive. How do they play? Is the trem solid at staying in tune or just sorta mediocre ? How does the neck feel? I'm talking about the Japanese version with 22 frets and a LoTRS trem not the later version with a ZR. Please share your experiences!

MrHelloGuitar likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pretty much an MIJ RG7420 with a Saber body and fewer frets. Same hardware, very very similar neck.

They're just more expensive because they're less common.

3. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

What's a fair price to pay for one

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Fair for whom?

Which model? What condition? Mods? Case?

They tend to go for as much as a good RG7620. Would I pay that? Eh....depends.

5. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

S7420fm, overall clean condition with like 3 small dents on the body not very visible.. frets and neck very clean no cracks .. just one dent on the 21 fret on the high e side on the actual fret not on the wood. No case just the guitar . All original looks like it sat around a lot because it's still got some of the original plastic on the backplate and truss rod cover .

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I have one I bought new around 2001 with a 1999 serial number. The neck has a little more shoulder than I personally prefer, so I tend to prefer the neck on my 540S7 which is more like an early Universe neck, but that's personal preference. I'm not a fan of the stock pickups, but they're easy to replace. And the stock bridge isn't the best, either, but I've played worse; I ultimately picked up a Lo Pro 7 and studs/anchors for mine.

That sounds negative, but I don't mean for it to - I actually like the guitar quite a bit, and gigged it a lot back in the day.

elkoki likes this.
  7. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

This year I bought a fairly battered black S7420, it cost me about £230. I had to pay shipping and I did eventually replace most of the hardware. All in all I'm about £500 into that one, I added a floyd original and sd pickups.

I bought a S7420FMTTW (the limited edition model) mint, bar one minor ding on the headstock (neck even feels new) for £436 shipped overseas.

8. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

I just sold one last week. They’re great guitars, very comfortable and easy to play. That original wizard 7 neck is stellar, one of the best 7 string profiles I’ve ever held. But I’m a simpleton and don’t mesh well with trems.

9. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

I have an rg7420Mij and 7620mij they both play amazing and have the same necks. As far as trems go. The trs isnt terrible but its similar to like a floyd special in that its softer and the knife edges tend to suffer from that. For suttle use it is perfectly fine for heavier use id upgrade to a newer floyd original

10. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I wouldn't upgrade unless its damaged to the point of affecting stability.

They aren't that bad. There are way, way worse alternatives.

11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

As long as it stays in tune decently I don't mind using a trem loaded guitar, and if the trem bothers me i'll just block it. How much did you let it go for and what kind of shape was it in?

12. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

I have an S7420FMTT (1999 model) and it’s a great guitar. Although I’ve always preferred the Lo Pro Edge over the TRS and 24 frets, it’s still a great guitar. I actually like the stock pickups, it has some great strat tones and the TRS is very underrated. It’s done me no wrong.

MrHelloGuitar and Scordare like this.
  13. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

TRS is absolute garbage, IMO the modern S7 prestiges are far better guitars if you are looking for an S7 but S7420s are cheaper, but becoming overpriced

14. Scordare

Scordare SS.org Regular

I have a near mint one with the wave inlays and love it..so comfortable to play. Stock pickups are more of a medium output and sound good. The neck measures exactly the same as a 7620 neck minus 2 frets. The lotrs7 is a good trem..of course not as good as the edge, but it stays in tune and feels great. The saddles are the weak point..occasionally I’ve seen broken ones, probably from over tightening.. I have had the threads strip out for the block locking screw. I keep a spare trems for parts because I have a few guitars with it.

Shawn likes this.
  15. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

It was probably 9.5/10, upgraded with a Floyd Rose Pro trem. $700 plus shipping.

16. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Unearth toured with the early model of these for years(including ozzfest) before they got a deal with Ibanez. Pretty sure they just blocked the trem and ran a EMG 707 in the bridge with the stock neck pickup disabled. Must have been reliable enough.

17. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Quality instruments as any other MIJ 00s Ibanez. Ridiculously thin and lightweight. Pickups sucked, bridge too. Was my last attempt to adapt to Ibanez necks. Sold it because I couldn't. Around 500$, which was the market price back then.

The Sabers were mahogany.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    aesthyrian likes this.