Any Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 users?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by pfizer, Aug 25, 2017.

1. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

Hey guys, just wanted to get some quick input from all y'all.

I'm mostly a bedroom guitarist these days and have found myself a nice little amp to play with, a Yamaha THR10X. It's a pretty great little practice amp and I've even used it to play some bedroom jam sessions.

I used to own a Boss Katana Amp Head which I regrettably had to sell to pay for some emergencies.

Now though, I'm on the hunt for a new amp and I figured I'd buy my very first tube amp. Tube amps have always been a little intimidating for me; I figured I never really needed one since I'm not a professional musician (more of a passionate hobbyist) and don't really care for fiddling around knobs for my tone. I always enjoyed the Boss Katana and my Yamaha for being easy to use.

However, I'm being quite tempted to buy the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 -- it's supposedly a "smart" tube amp and can save up to 128 presets, purportedly the best of both worlds. I do want a versatile amp, since I kind of play a bit of everything these days. I still like my metal quite a bit (Deftones, Periphery, Alter Bridge), but have started to dabble into some SRV/Mayer blues and funk as well.

I am considering other amps like the Peavey 6505+ or maybe a used ENGL Fireball, but I really like being able to save my presets as I would on the H&K.

I would very much appreciate advice/opinions/suggestions on the matter :)

2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

If saving presets is a priority, then that narrows it down. I know Holdsworth liked H&K's stuff until they killed him.

pfizer likes this.
  3. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Though I haven't played the Grandmeisters, every other H&K tube amp I've played was super versatile, so I can't imagine these being any different.

pfizer likes this.
  4. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I've been to a shop half way across state a few times just to demo that amp. It sounds so amazing through the matching 2x12. I always compare every amp to a dual recto - it's my go-to type sound. That GM 40 surpases the dual recto on sound, function, and design. Built-in boost, effects, delay, reverb, and noisegate; serial effects loop, wattage selection etc. etc. etc. Every single one of those parameters can be saved to a preset.
    For example:
    preset 1- clean channel, 40w mode, effects loop on, touch of delay and reverb.
    preset 2- lead channel, 5w mode, effects lopp off, noise gate and boost engaged, delay and verb off.

Its seamless patch changing without latency and I'm in love. I cannot wait until some gets this dual recto off my hands so I can get my GM 40.

pfizer likes this.
  5. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Looks super cool. I was tempted by one for a long time. Went another path due to the right deal comimg along but still like it alot.

Theres a Devin Townsend demo video of it that really kicks ass.

Leberbs and pfizer like this.