Any Fans of TTNG/This Town Needs Guns Here?

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't see a lot about TTNG or math rock in general here, but I feel like a lot of people here would enjoy it despite the fact that it isn't remotely heavy as it heavily utilizes complicated tapping parts and odd time signatures.

For anyone who already is a fan, they started playing a new song live so I would assume they are gearing up for a new album which I'm super stoked about.

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
Animals is a great album, dude. TTNG knows how to make 13/4 feel so natural. And of course, the guitarist is just stupid good...

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^That's what I love about them. They can be playing a ridiculous tapping riff in some stupidly weird time signature and still just make good catchy music that sounds natural, despite how flashy and over the top it is.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^Well... that's not heavy...

Never knew of TTNG before. Sounds good!!! The only band of the same style I've been listening to is LITE, a japanese band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlWiRjIcjOk

I prefer LITE for what I've heard just for now so I need to listen a lot more to TTNG.

Thanks for a new band to listen to!!!!

areyna21

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
TTNG is an amazing band. Makes me wish maps and atlases made more music like trees, swallows, houses. Love the touch style math rock stuff. Not many people know how to really pull it off well.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can't say that I've ever exposed myself to this genre, so this is my first experience and I'll say this...

I really dig it... but I'd have to be in the mood to carefully listen and digest it.

spawnofthesith

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am a massive fan, and this thread reminded me that I don't get to see them playing here tonight :(

Animals is brilliant, love the playing

oracles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw these guys at Soundwave 2011, totally amazing. Been a fan ever since.

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^Well... that's not heavy...

Never knew of TTNG before. Sounds good!!! The only band of the same style I've been listening to is LITE, a japanese band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlWiRjIcjOk

I prefer LITE for what I've heard just for now so I need to listen a lot more to TTNG.

Thanks for a new band to listen to!!!!
LITE is sick. Another fantastic Japanese band in the style is Toe. Definitely worth a listen.

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I like their self-titled more than Animals, but Animals is also a pretty badass album.
Animals is probably my favorite, but 13.0.0.0.0 has been growing on me a lot. There are some fantastic songs on it.

AugmentedFourth

X:1 K:C [c^f]|
Reaction score
There aren't really bands which sound like TTNG, but if you want something related LITE is a really good band and so is toe. But they are much more in the Japanese math rock style. More closely related would be:

Another English Math-pop band, different guitar style:
Colour

Tangled Hair (some band member overlap with the now-defunct Colour)

If you like the horn/twinkle pairing, and the same sense of dynamic here's an American band:
Clever Girl

The progenitors of TTNG:
American Football
and
Owls

Or, if you like the hardcore side of things, check out some related emo music (emotive hardcore):
Tiny Moving Parts

La Dispute

Algernon Cadwallader

Or if you really want to go back historically, listen to Cap'n Jazz or Joan of Arc.

bhakan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There aren't really bands which sound like TTNG, but if you want something related LITE is a really good band and so is toe. But they are much more in the Japanese math rock style. More closely related would be:

Another English Math-pop band, different guitar style:
Colour

Tangled Hair (some band member overlap with the now-defunct Colour)

If you like the horn/twinkle pairing, and the same sense of dynamic here's an American band:
Clever Girl

The progenitors of TTNG:
American Football
and
Owls

Or, if you like the hardcore side of things, check out some related emo music (emotive hardcore):
Tiny Moving Parts

La Dispute

Algernon Cadwallader

Or if you really want to go back historically, listen to Cap'n Jazz or Joan of Arc.
Love TTNG.

Since people are suggesting similar stuff in here.

Invalids.
All great bands. Math rock needs more love around here.

Polythoral

Hipster Mustaine
Reaction score

Definitely. Math rock might be my favorite genre.

Also for people that dig instrumental stuff, Bulletproof Tiger is one of my favorite bands of the sort.

Dakotaspex

The Uniballer
Reaction score
13.0.0.0.0 is the best. So many feels were felt from that album. All their stuff hits a nice spot in me, though. Literally love ALL of their work.

gunch

30 y/o metal zooner
Reaction score
The Speed of Sound in Seawater is close enough sound-wise to TTNG to warrant a mention

It kind of does but I like to talk about it where I can, if there was a thread about math rock/ twinkle dork emo as big as the Dirty Angry Crusty Thread I'd never leave this website