Any fans of Funeral Doom?

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
This is kind of a weird, niche subgenre. For those of you who don't know it, it takes the slow tempos of Stoner Metal combined with the brutality of death metal. Making for extremely depressing, grim, morbid music. I love it. Though the only funeral doom band i'm really familiar with is Ahab. I just put on this album by Evoken and i'm loving it. Any other good funeral doom bands I should check out?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I used to listen to some. I've been listening to Ahab since their fist demo dropped. Ahab's demo and first album are so too good that the rest of any funeral doom I try just doesn't compare.

One other band that I think is worth listening is called Ea. Back when I listened to them they only had one album called Ea Taesse... but I just looked at MA and they have 3 more albums now! Crazy. You should check it out if you're looking for new stuff! I'd start with their first one.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
:wavey:

Essential listening for for fans of funeral doom:

Monolithe:
Each proper album consists of a single track that is nearly an hour long.

This two track ep is one of their shorter works.

More:

Doom:VS and Colosseum are good gateway bands.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
^Excellent recommendations. I'd throw in diSEMBOWELMENT and Esoteric, as well.

I'm looking forward to the new DOOM:VS album at the end of this year.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
^

Listen to this guy, Esoteric are worth everyone's time and I feel stupid for forgetting them. It's weird I neglected to include diSEMBOWELMENT as well since I was listening to them earlier today. I guess they may be more Death/Doom than Funeral doom though, although it is a very blurry line.

Datura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Funeral doom is one of my favourite genres, unfortunately the only funeral doom I like is by Thergothon and Skepticism.

monkeysuncle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
YES!

I'll add some rec's :

-Funeral
-most of Stijn Van Cauters projects (Beyond Black Void, Until Death Overtakes Me, The Etherial)
-Catacombs
-Ea
-Nortt
-The Funeral Orchestra
-Mistress of the Dead
-Obsequies Procession
-Blood of the Black Owl
-Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere

Tons of good stuff out there, just gotta hunt it down.

chopeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love it, I like listening to it at home, but I sometimes play it in my car and after a few songs, I feel like I want to jump out of my own car.

Nick4764

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't listened to much of it, but bands like Esoteric, Unholy, Coliseum and Winter are truly great stuff. Some of the Finnish Funeral Doom bands are definitely worth looking into.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Any recommendations for some funeral doom bands with predominantly clean vocals? I know it's a stretch, but I've been searching for a while.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Any recommendations for some funeral doom bands with predominantly clean vocals? I know it's a stretch, but I've been searching for a while.

Ahabs new album! Its a totally different turn from their last two albums, still very nice though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGWiUcekXY

I'd really like to work on writing my own funeral doom, i'm pretty sure my bands drummer would be on board with that idea. I recently read an article in From Quarks to Quasars detailing exactly what you would experience if you went out into space with no protective suit. The first thing that came to mind was "I could write a funeral doom song about that"