Any experience with Master FX preamp pedals?

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thinking about eventually getting a 8100 preamp pedal from them. Really want that sound again, since he seems like he could nail that sound, as well as some slight tweaks.

Anyone have any experience with them?

downburst82

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't have any of his current offerings but I had Tim make me a Custom Dual Rectifier in a box pedal with Punisher graphics several years ago. (He used to call the circuit the wolfy and offer it with a wolf graphic)
My pedal has been on my board since I got it and it still works and sounds great although the Graphic sticker shrunk/stretched a bit over time which is a bummer because it looked amazing. Tim is a good guy and I probably could have contacted him to redo the Graphic or something but its not too bad really and I don't want to be without the pedal. Im pretty sure he uses a different process for graphics now.

His new refined circuits look really good and I will probably get something new in the future.

Last edited:

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you know what he charges? An 8100 preamp would be really fun to mess around with. I’d love to try and get something out of it like ‘Whoracle’.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
He made me an Orange Dark Terror preamp pedal that ended up sounding amazing with a boost.

He called it the “Insufficient Light Terror” but, i got the words “Witch Sun” on the actual pedal. I’ll try to find my old NPD thread so you can see pictures of it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do you know what he charges? An 8100 preamp would be really fun to mess around with. I’d love to try and get something out of it like ‘Whoracle’.

Looks like about $200 - $300.

I'm actually curious to see if he could do a Bogner Fish style preamp. Like the Shark Cantrell mod or something. ATM I'm juggling a Peavey Rockmaster, a Myasnikov Cantrell Shark preamp, or a Master FX 8100 preamp or Cantrell SHark pre.

Last edited:

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Playing around with different ideas until the new Soldano stuff happens myself. Weeding out what I still enjoy using and tossing the rest on Reverb lately. I’ve got room for a 200$ 8100 pedal if he does one. PLX could be another option and he’s semi local, a few towns away. I really like the VH-140C preamp I have from PLX.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let him know that there's really no need to try and add the 12ax7 to the 8100 pre/pedal...

I bought and repaired an 8080 last summer, and it needed the atx autotransformer that feeds the heaters for the tube. While waiting for it to come from Germany, I bypassed that whole part of the circuit with a jumper lead.

I gotta admit, I thought the amps sounded just about the same, maybe even a little better without utilizing the tube buffer. B/C that's what it really is...just a buffer with way too much NFB, therefor doing next to nothing but changing the 'color' slightly. It was clearer and more defined without it.

Would help to simplify and bring the cost down.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let him know that there's really no need to try and add the 12ax7 to the 8100 pre/pedal...

I bought and repaired an 8080 last summer, and it needed the atx autotransformer that feeds the heaters for the tube. While waiting for it to come from Germany, I bypassed that whole part of the circuit with a jumper lead.

I gotta admit, I thought the amps sounded just about the same, maybe even a little better without utilizing the tube buffer. B/C that's what it really is...just a buffer with way too much NFB, therefor doing next to nothing but changing the 'color' slightly. It was clearer and more defined without it.

Would help to simplify and bring the cost down.

I don't think he'd try to. Seems like he tries to emulate only the preamp section with all jfet/mosfet tech.

Hmmm... Gotta tell him about the Randall T2 as well. :D Sucks because I know with the Randall hybrids, the power amp does heavily color the tone.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Randall RG200D g3+ which supposedly has the same preamp as the T2 and V2 and while it sounds great I don’t think it’s special in anyway. It’s actually pretty low gain for a metal amp imo

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Randall RG200D g3+ which supposedly has the same preamp as the T2 and V2 and while it sounds great I don’t think it’s special in anyway. It’s actually pretty low gain for a metal amp imo

Had a V2. Miss it. :lol:

Also the T2 has more gain than both. It's not as much as a 5150, but it's still a shit-ton of gain.

The G3+ def doesn't have the same preamp as a T2. The T2 has the hybrid tube preamp, vs the solid state preamp of the RH. If anything, the POWER AMPS may be similar, since they both use Mosfet/tube hybrid circuitry.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had a V2. Miss it. :lol:

Also the T2 has more gain than both. It's not as much as a 5150, but it's still a shit-ton of gain.

The G3+ def doesn't have the same preamp as a T2. The T2 has the hybrid tube preamp, vs the solid state preamp of the RH. If anything, the POWER AMPS may be similar, since they both use Mosfet/tube hybrid circuitry.
Ah, i see

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IF
Ah, i see
ANYTHING, I can see the SS channel of the V2 sounding like the G3+ series.

And if so, I want one even more. Because I fucking loved how tight and aggressive the V2's SS channel was. Lack of gain be damned. Could actually work well with my dual rig setup.

Last edited:

gunch

30 y/o metal zooner
Reaction score
He made me an Orange Dark Terror preamp pedal that ended up sounding amazing with a boost.

He called it the “Insufficient Light Terror” but, i got the words “Witch Sun” on the actual pedal. I’ll try to find my old NPD thread so you can see pictures of it.

That would sound sick as fuck in a full mix and quad tracked JSYK

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That would sound sick as fuck in a full mix and quad tracked JSYK
I know right!?
That pedal into the Mosvalve 942 was fucking gold. I don't know why the heck I keep selling stuff I get bored with. I need to remind myself to just horde gear because I always end up wanting my shit back lol.

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
unfortunately no. Getting my hands on rack enclosures is $$$ and leads to pants on head stupid prices.